Black Relationships : Talking to a lot of oppostie sex friends if you are in a relationship

legit-writer

Dec 12, 2002
"when in a relationship it just that you and the person you are in a relationship with; no outsiders whatsoever. That means you cutting off all opposite sex connections just to eliminate the what if factor"

Do you agree with this concept or do you disagree and why?

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
I think it's a bit extreme and nonsensical ... for the "what if" you think you're eliminating ... will still and forever exist.

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

Hildegard von Krone

Banned
Nov 25, 2011
"when in a relationship it just that you and the person you are in a relationship with; no outsiders whatsoever. That means you cutting off all opposite sex connections just to eliminate the what if factor"

Do you agree with this concept or do you disagree and why?
But that leaves little room for trust in my opinion so I disagree. Whoever wrote that statement probably got cheat and now suffers from trust problems. Also, when you limit your partner in such a way, it can be very suffocating.

Nobody likes a control freak!

Asomfwaa

Nov 16, 2011
In Occidental society, sure. When you are only in a relationship for fun--then of course you can not expect a relationship that can weather 'more fun' storms.

However, in our Original tradition, when our relationships are out of love--we can have as many friends as whatever.

I fall back to Ibn Battuta's observations of West Africa from “Ibn Battuta in Black Africa” as written by Said Hamdun and Noel King:

“My stay at Iwalatan lasted about fifty days; and I was shown honour and entertained by its inhabitants. It is an excessively hot place, and boasts a few small date-palms, in the shade of which they sow watermelons. Its water comes from underground waterbeds at that point, and there is plenty of mutton to be had. The garments of its inhabitants, most of whom belong to the Massufa tribe, are of fine Egyptian fabrics.

Their women are of surpassing beauty, and are shown more respect than the men. The state of affairs amongst these people is indeed extraordinary. Their men show no signs of jealousy whatever; no one claims descent from his father, but on the contrary from his mother’s brother. A person’s heirs are his sister’s sons, not his own sons. This is a thing which I have seen nowhere in the world except among the Indians of Malabar. But those are heathens; these people are Muslims, punctilious in observing the hours of prayer, studying books of law, and memorizing the Koran. Yet their women show no bashfulness before men and do not veil themselves, though they are assiduous in attending the prayers. Any man who wishes to marry one of them may do so, but they do not travel with their husbands, and even if one desired to do so her family would not allow her to go.
The women there have “friends” and “companions” amongst the men outside their own families, and the men in the same way have “companions” amongst the women of other families. A man may go into his house and find his wife entertaining her “companion” but he takes no objection to it. One day at Iwalatan I went into the qadi’s house, after asking his permission to enter, and found with him a young woman of remarkable beauty. When I saw her I was shocked and turned to go out, but she laughed at me, instead of being overcome by shame, and the qadi said to me “Why are you going out? She is my companion.” I was amazed at their conduct, for he was a theologian and a pilgrim [to Mecca] to boot. I was told that he had asked the sultan’s permission to make the pilgrimage that year with his “companion”–whether this one or not I cannot say–but the sultan would not grant it.
. . .
One day I visited Abu Muhammad Yandakan, a man of the Massufa tribe. I found him sitting on a mat, and in the middle of his house was a bed with a canopy. On it was a woman and with her a man, and the two were having a conversation. I said to him: “Who is this woman?” He replied: “She is my wife.” I said: “What is the relationship of the man to her?” He replied: “He is her friend.” I said: “Do you accept this, after you have lived in our country and known the matters of the Holy Law?”
He said to me: “Women’s companionship with men in our country is honorable and takes place in a good way; there is no suspicion about it. They are not like the women in your
country.”
I was astonished at his thoughtless answer and I went away from him and did not visit him after this. Though he invited me many times, I did not respond.”

skuderjaymes

Contextualizer Synthesizer
Nov 2, 2009
theory to application to discussion to percussion
Occupation
independent thoughtist thinker, context linker

One day I visited Abu Muhammad Yandakan, a man of the Massufa tribe. I found him sitting on a mat, and in the middle of his house was a bed with a canopy. On it was a woman and with her a man, and the two were having a conversation. I said to him: “Who is this woman?” He replied: “She is my wife.” I said: “What is the relationship of the man to her?” He replied: “He is her friend.” I said: “Do you accept this, after you have lived in our country and known the matters of the Holy Law?”
He said to me: “Women’s companionship with men in our country is honorable and takes place in a good way; there is no suspicion about it. They are not like the women in your
country.”
I was astonished at his thoughtless answer and I went away from him and did not visit him after this. Though he invited me many times, I did not respond.”
thank you for sharing that.. It's always interesting to learn how other societies handle these same dynamics.. it would be even more interesting to find out how those customs developed through their history...

on a sidenote.. let me ask you... What was thoughtless about his comments? If you really take a look at it, he should actually be the one that was offended by your implication of their being any dishonor between his wife and her male friend. His response appears to me to be a mature, thoughtful rebuttal to your implied statement. He was even gracious enough to relate his comments to american women in general, even though your implied comments were specifically aimed at his own wife.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Black People : Joe Biden's "Talking to Black People" mode. Black People Open Forum 1
C Black People : California Talking Reparation Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : Just Talking Is No Threat To Injustice Black People Open Forum 0
candeesweet Black Poetry : Talking Points Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Destee Pets / Animals : Black the Rottweiler - talking to him about not being a Rottie that attacks / kills their owner Pets / Animals 11
Perfection Africa : In Context Series: The Talking Drums of Nigeria All Things Africa 0
IFE Law Forum : #MeToo Movement Has Lawmakers Talking About Consent Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
R Black Poetry : walking true and proud but talking too loud is an abuse of library privilege when i use to try marry Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
Writspirit Black People : Talking with Peggi Blu, the American Idol Vocal Coach From Hell Black People Open Forum 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : ISAIAH 53 wasn't talking about Jesus AACOOLDRE 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : Hell You Talmbout (What in the hell are you talking about?) Black Entertainment 38
CindyC Black Poetry : Talking to God Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
shaka64 Black People : Black-Owned Businesses Are Quietly Powering Detroit's Resurgence, But No One's Talking About It Black People Open Forum 1
cherryblossom Audio Video Web Conferencing : James Brown: Talking Loud/Saying Nothing Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
I Black People Politics : Video of White American government official openly talking about UFOs & their (UFOs) occupants Black People Politics 3
ru2religious Black People : Okay - now some real life black wo/man talking our issues!!! Black People Open Forum 91
HODEE Quiet Poetry Lounge : Talking Instead Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
legit-writer Black People : Need to Vent II - Talking Ugly About Your Current or Future Employer Online Black People Open Forum 3
CosmicMessenger Audio Video Web Conferencing : Sly & Family Stone - Thank You For Talking To Me Africa Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
B Black People : White boy talking reparations Black People Open Forum 41
Destee Audio Video Web Conferencing : Destee Family Talking and Sharing - Destee Podcast Audio Video Web Conferencing 3
Destee Black People : BlogTalkRadio Tonight @ 12 am ET! Feel Like Talking? Join us at blogtalkradio.com/destee Black People Open Forum 7
S Black People : The Real Rick Ross talking for his life.. pledging his allegiance to the flag. Black People Open Forum 6
Black-king Black People Politics : Obama Campaign Drops The George W. Bush Talking Point Black People Politics 0
$$RICH$$ Black Men : Talking to da Strong Men Black Men 1
Destee Black Spirituality Religion : Talking Ugly About Christians = Talking Ugly About Your GrandParents Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 130
largo Black People : Africa: Talking about "Tribe" Black People Open Forum 17
S Black Entertainment : That's what I'm talking about : Al Green on guitar. Black Entertainment 0
info-moetry Black People : Farrakhan - no more talking to the dry bones Black People Open Forum 0
Destee Black People : Which Is Worse - Us or Them Talking Ugly About Us? Black People Open Forum 20
hartwell Black People : Older Dude " Beats Down " Young Dude talking crazy stuff to him (Vi Black People Open Forum 58
S Black People : Talking Blues.. live 1975.. Bob Marley Black People Open Forum 0
chuck Black People : Talking About MY Generation-! Black People Open Forum 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Talking Points On Civil Rights AACOOLDRE 1
Metaverse Black People : We Talking About- "Consciousness Raising" Muzak.. Black People Open Forum 29
R Black Poetry : TALKING TO A GIRL Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
K Black People : Talking about God.... Black People Open Forum 0
$$RICH$$ Black Haiku : Talking Heart....Vanika Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
B Black Entertainment : Come on yall I am talking about Mary J Blige new Album Black Entertainment 0
T Black People : Talking to Larry King and Brad Pitt Black People Open Forum 0
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : WILL BLACK FOLKS EVER MOVE FROM THE TALKING PHASE TO A PHASE OF DIRECT ACTION, IN OUR Chief Elder Osiris 3
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : TALKING FREEDOM IS NOT RELATIVE TO MENTAL FREEDOM Chief Elder Osiris 0
G Black People : TALKING TO THE WATER ...... OR ... THE POWER OF WORDS Black People Open Forum 4
D Black Entertainment : Talking Tyra Banks in SHAPE Magazine.She is-not-fat!!!!! Black Entertainment 0
D Black People Politics : Talking sculpture-of-obama-as-jesus-causes-drama picture Black People Politics 1
ASHANTA Black Poetry : The Talking Tree Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
D Black Children : Talking to a white girl even today could be troublesome Black Children 36
D Black Entertainment : YOUNG JEEZY INTERVIEW: Talking about Thug Motivation 102 Black Entertainment 0
river Black Spirituality Religion : Talking to a Shequem Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
anAfrican Science and Technology : Why are you hiding network adapters and who are they talking to?! Science and Technology 0