Black People : Sugar Ray Leonard Says Olympic Coach Sexually Abused Him

Amnat77

Dec 11, 2006
UK..not for long
Occupation
professional.
Reuters is reporting that former boxing champion Sugar Ray Leonard has said that he was sexually abused as a teenager by a "prominent" Olympic coach, according to a report in the New York Times on Tuesday. The newspaper said that Leonard made the claim in his upcoming autobiography, The Big Fight: My Life in and Out of the Ring.

Leonard, now 55, said he was assaulted by the unnamed coach on two occasions. The first was when he was competing at a tournament in Utica, N.Y, at age 15. The second, several years later, happened in a car parked in a deserted lot when the coach was discussing with him his prospects at the 1976 Olympics.

Leonard, who won the gold medal in the light-welterwight division at the Montreal Olympics, said that he had been haunted by the ordeal for years but decided to reveal it in his book in the hopes that he would help his own healing process.

"I realized I would never be free unless I revealed the whole truth, no matter how much it hurt," he wrote.

It is a good thing that prominent celebrities like Sugar Ray Leonard are coming forward to discuss sexual abuse. This is one of the toughest fighters of all time who was victimized at a young age by someone in a position of authority. Black men are often tagged with hypermasculine notions of masculinity that would require silence about incidents of sexual abuse carried out by men. We're glad that brave folks like Don Lemon and Sugar Ray Leonard are coming forward to speak truth to the fact that black men can be victimized, too.

http://www.theroot.com/buzz/sugar-ray-leonard-says-olympic-coach-sexually-abused-him

Kamau47

Dec 6, 2005
In The Shadows
I'm about as sick of this stuff as one can get. Just around the time that a book is being published, or a career is being reborn, they were either raped or molested.

nuff said.

skuderjaymes

Contextualizer Synthesizer
Nov 2, 2009
theory to application to discussion to percussion
Occupation
independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
I'm about as sick of this stuff as one can get. Just around the time that a book is being published, or a career is being reborn, they were either raped or molested.

nuff said.
Gotta keep that dough rolling in.. I don't know why these cats don't just put
their abilities to functional productive uses.. open a string of gyms.. make a
dvd series about boxing technique.. teach classes.. stop prostituting their
entire life experience for that dollar.. imagine some dignity.. everybody ain't
gotta know everything about you.. some stuff is better off buried. It's not
like he's talking about bringing the dude to justice or anything.. he's probably
dead already. Sugar is just living down to his name and selling that boody for
a fast buck.. yeah.. boody.. not booty.. boody.​

Amnat77

Dec 11, 2006
UK..not for long
Occupation
professional.
U.S. Olympic Committee Tackling Sexual Abuse in Sport

By MEGAN CHUCHMACH
September 29, 2010

The United States Olympic Committee has announced it will lead governing bodies of Olympic sports in unprecedented efforts to prevent sexual and physical abuse that could affect millions of athletes across the country, an issue that has been in the spotlight after a sexual misconduct scandal at USA Swimming.

A top USOC official said recommendations from a task force led by four-time Olympic skier Nina Kemppel will be implemented within six months, including the centralizing and standardizing of background checks for coaches, staff and volunteers working with athletes.

"The issue does merit more haste, and I think you'll see meaningful progress from us long before six months comes and goes," said USOC Chief Executive Officer Scott Blackmun.

An ABC News "20/20" investigation in April revealed that 36 swimming coaches had been banned by USA Swimming for allegations of sexual misconduct, including molestation and hidden videotaping of children in locker rooms. San Jose swim coach Andy King, 62, abused more than a dozen teen female victims over three decades and still had a clean background screening from USA Swimming in 2008, despite allegations against him and a police investigation. USA Swimming, the governing body of the sport in the U.S., is facing at least five lawsuits by swimmers who accuse the organization of failing to protect them from predatory coaches and allege cover-up at the top.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Swimm...ling-sexual-abuse-sport-usa/story?id=11756440

THE-GOD

Jul 9, 2008
what extacly is sexual abuse and how is it different from rape?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Black Sports : Sugar Ray Robinson Highlight Black Sports 1
Mario William vitale Black Poetry : Sugar Land Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Liberty Health and Wellness : The A1C Blood Sugar Test May Be Less Accurate In African-Americans Black Health and Wellness 0
HODEE Health and Wellness : Dunkin' Donuts is dropping titanium dioxide from its powdered sugar donuts Black Health and Wellness 1
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Those **** letter of Zora Neale Hurston: Sugar or Sh..it?? AACOOLDRE 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : Yes, You Can Eat Sugar! 5 Nutritionist Hacks to Make It Healthier Food Discussion and Recipes 0
jamesfrmphilly Health and Wellness : the amount of sugar in yr drink... Black Health and Wellness 4
Kemetstry Health and Wellness : Sugar Kills!!! Black Health and Wellness 50
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Sugar on The Floor Black People Open Forum 0
S Black People : D'Angelo - Sugar Daddy [live in Stockholm 2012-01-26] Black People Open Forum 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : D'Angelo - Brown Sugar (instrumental & lyrics w download link) Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : AZ- Sugar Hill Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : mos def - brown sugar (fine) Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Indigo Blues Black Entertainment : Frank "Sugar Chile" Robinson Black Entertainment 2
Amnat77 Black People : U.S. food companies caught faking blueberries with artificial colors and liquid sugar Black People Open Forum 3
G Black Poetry : Sugar ***** Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
A Is sugar evil? Black Health and Wellness 0
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : CANDYMAN & SUGAR TREATS....Just 4 U ! Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
watzinaname Black Poetry : Salt in My Sugar Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 13
Sha'iyn Quiet Poetry Lounge : Like Honey For Sugar Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
G Black Poetry : SUGAR ALONG THE RIM Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 14
howardtsu Black Poetry : Her Sugar Daddy Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
jamesfrmphilly excess sugar Black Health and Wellness 6
howardtsu Black Poetry : "Flowers" for Your Sugar Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
T Quiet Poetry Lounge : I Need Your Brown Sugar Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
P Black Relationships : Why have a 'sugar daddy'? Black Relationships 108
N Body Rejecting Sugar Black Health and Wellness 11
river Signs of Sugar Imbalance During Pregnancy - A Question Black Health and Wellness 23
N Dessert Cookie Cake Recipe : Lemon Sugar Cookies Food Discussion and Recipes 3
N Dangers of Sugar Black Health and Wellness 3
T Black Poetry : BROWN SUGAR, HONEY AND BUTTERFLY WINGS Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
kente417mojo Black Sports : Sugar Shane Mosley Black Sports 12
1poetsought Black Poetry : Sugar Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 19
J Quiet Poetry Lounge : brown sugar... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 12
AACOOLDRE Black Poetry : Brown Sugar Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
L Black Poetry : Sugar In Her Bowl Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
alyce Black Poetry : Bridge On Sugar Hill Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 11
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : Brown Sugar Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
N Black Poetry : Sweet Brown Sugar Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
candeesweet Black Poetry : My guy Ray Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Destee Audio Video Web Conferencing : Video: Ray Parker Jr - Christmas Time Is Here Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
OldSoul OldSoul : Jim Brown, Ray Lewis met with President-elect Trump OldSoul 12
OldSoul OldSoul : Judge Joe Brown tells How James Earl Ray wasn't the real Killer of Martin Luther King OldSoul 2
shaka64 Black Sports : Ray Rice wins appeal, eligible to sign Black Sports 1
Enki Black Sports : Pacer Paul George comes to Ray Rice's defense, then apologizes Black Sports 0
CosmicMessenger Black Men : Obama on Ray Rice video: A 'real man' doesn't hit a woman Black Men 7
RAPTOR Black Spirituality Religion : There Will Be No Rapture & Jesus Is Not Coming Back - Pastor Dr. Ray Hagins Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 39
RAPTOR Black Spirituality Religion : Ray Hagins: The False Teachings of The Apostle Paul Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 47
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : NASA detects odd X-ray signal 240 million light years away Science and Technology 0
cherryblossom Audio Video Web Conferencing : Ray Charles: All Night/All Day, Angels Keep Watching Over Me Audio Video Web Conferencing 0