Black People : SOPA could shut down this website.

Please Donate

I need your help. destee.com will be 25 years old in October and I don't know that we'll make it. It is hard to keep us alive right now. Our costs have only increased over the years. We have all put our love into this community, but love is not enough to keep the lights on. destee.com needs your financial help too. We are the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world. Please help us remain. Click the Donate button below or CashApp $8664destee - Thank you.

rapunzal24

REGISTERED MEMBER
Apr 2, 2011
I started noticing Sisters with red hair after Rihanna did it. And sure enough, when Rihanna put on her blonde hair, the comments were "She looked better with red" (according to some newly Blonde Africans.)

Sisters straighten their hair because the White man pays Black women to. Before Beyonce it was Tina Turner. This I gather from bell hooks.

Sister, I want to talk to my people. But the internet is way, the way, in the way.

Malcolm had his soapbox in Harlem--people gathered.

Garvey had his soapbox in Harlem--people gathered.

But if I stand on a soapbox in Harlem, then people are looking at their smartphones, calling Frank down the street, turning up their television sets and plugging in their earphones.

Let's be realistic--the most community in the world are not in places with the internet.

There's some good. Sure. But ok?

It's not about learning about Malcolm. It's about talking to the people. If Malcolm spent his whole life learning of Marcus--we wouldn't hear about him. Matter of fact, there are tons of people who know Malcolm X back and front--but if they are not talking to anyone . . ..

I want to say this: The European stole us from Africa and took all of our wealth.

Then he put some technology in our faces and took that away.

Suddenly, we are crying over that loss of technology.

What about the fact that we are kidnapped?

That's what we should be talking about . . ..
Well, I get what you are saying, and I do not believe that if the internet was taken from us, then all hell would break loose. I just believe that we can use it to help. The whole kidnapped thing is a whole 'nother topic for me lol.

Ankhur

REGISTERED MEMBER
Oct 4, 2009
Brooklyn
Occupation
owner of various real estate concerns
Exactly. And we know what these youth are using the internet for! Becoming more depraved. Not only doing the Dougie and Cat Daddy but videotaping one another beat up the other and posting it for the rest of them to follow suit.

Word to me, a friend and I were walking in Brooklyn and saw a kid getting whopped while another kid videotaped it. I hope to take down the site putting up that stuff. I'll tell you what.
You make me crack up bro, I laugh when you said that!

I was by Nostrand and Kings Highway at around 2;30 and overheard some JHS kids talking loud about filming something they put on youtube that I cant even mention here

Like you said before its a matter of culture!

My point is however, what if Mosiah was alive today?

Marcus+Garvey.jpg

can you imagine what he would do with such technology!!!!! Or Kwame Ture or Kwame Nkhrumah?

But I understand your reasoning completely, most of the Rastas I speak to feel the same way

Asomfwaa

REGISTERED MEMBER
Nov 16, 2011
Well, I get what you are saying, and I do not believe that if the internet was taken from us, then all hell would break loose. I just believe that we can use it to help. The whole kidnapped thing is a whole 'nother topic for me lol.

Sister, I'm a be real with you.

Runoko Rashidi gave a FREE lecture in Brooklyn today on the Early presence of Africans in Europe.

There wasn't a young person in sight.

And more, less than a hundred people showed up.

That's what we need to get real about.

When we listened to ourselves on radio, we'd couldn't get in to the lecture if we showed up on time--today . . ..

Asomfwaa

REGISTERED MEMBER
Nov 16, 2011
You make me crack up bro, I laugh when you said that!

I was by Nostrand and Kings Highway at around 2;30 and overheard some JHS kids talking loud about filming something they put on youtube that I cant even mention here

Like you said before its a matter of culture!

My point is however, what if Mosiah was alive today?

Marcus+Garvey.jpg

can you imagine what he would do with such technology!!!!! Or Kwame Ture or Kwame Nkhrumah?

But I understand your reasoning completely, most of the Rastas I speak to feel the same way

The internet wouldn't help them.

Garvey was a personality in person. The internet would help Du Bois, not Garvey.

If you're about the people, the internet ain't your partner. IMO.

Because those kids you heard aren't logging on to Destee.com.

They are logging on to something, but they are not logging on to Destee.com.

Gorilla

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jan 31, 2009
I never even knew that there was music on Destee. But clearly, IF the law passes, Destee would make the necessary changes if requested.

But by the by, one needs to remember our focus as a race, especially here in America.

This is about money. They're saying their profits are worth your freedom. A popular example was how someone's family video was taken down over music that happened to be playing in the background on the radio at a pretty low volume.

Keep in mind that I just showed you one vulnerable part of the website.

For instance, right now we are talking of 'personal freedoms.' How can we talk of that as a kidnapped population?

How would you have that conversation on a place where you spend a third of your time on the internet when your ISP has been ordered to forward all your DNS resolution requests to a shut down page?

If the internet falls out, we should just work it to our advantage. Maybe spring up more communal businesses or sabotage giant competitors--if we can.

So you're encouraging doing something illegal and dishonest? You're also saying that we don't need our businesses to take advantage of the Internet and we don't need to worry about people who use the internet for personal growth, make informed decisions, or to be used for financial opportunities. We definitely don't need to worry about the people who make a living by providing content on platforms we're going to simply disown either.

I'm not really worried. Like I said, I saw a kid beat up another kid while another videotaped. That videotape is probably online and those three kids are probably still 'friends.' I'm interested in helping my people. I'm not really worried if they can't spend as much time on the internet.

I saw a kid talk about how he built a windmill to give his family light at night. I saw one kid videotape an assault by a group of kids on one kid and had some justice done. I've seen kids using YouTube to check out higher education prospects.

I just can't reconcile someone claiming to have the best interests of Blacks in mind while maintaining a stereotypical view of what we do online or denying the benefits of Internet access provides. It's baffling when one considers all the data we have about wealth and education gaps and how they might relate to the digital divide as well.

If you want to find crap on the Internet, it's at your finger tips. If you want quality, you can find quality. Finding crap isn't an argument for saying that the Internet is problematic. It's just a tool.

Latest profile posts

2022 Has started and I hope everyone is having a safe and protected journey as we navigate this game of life
during this pandemic. We are not easily defeated so protect your momentum at all times. One Love.
Kemetstry wrote on Cindy's profile.
Why are you following me?
Destee wrote on Jahari Kavi's profile.
Hi Brother @Jahari Kavi ... Welcome Home! Good to see you! YAAAAAY Us! :love:
Destee wrote on Orisons's profile.
Hi Brother @Orisons ... good to see you in the house, stay safe always please :heart:
Destee wrote on Ms Drea's profile.
Hi My Dear Darling Sister! :kiss: :love: :kiss: