African American History Culture : So called Gullah aint no more, its a COMMODITY being reduce to NOTHING

dustyelbow

Oct 25, 2005
Been trying to tell people that the South is changing and much of it is disappearing forever especially life and heritage of our people to be forgotten because it doesnt meet the current NEEDS.

Using culture as a commodity of VALUE to those on the outside sounds familiar to the current culture of MUSIC. Namely HIP-HOP.

But my question is it worth saving if YOU DONT ACTUALLY LIVE IT?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoleto organizers hope to help save community's heritage
Associated Press

CHARLESTON, S.C. - A funeral party recently traveled by ferry to the Sapelo Island, a remote barrier island along the Georgia coast, with a few artists and several members of a rural Mount Pleasant-area community on board as guests.

The trip earlier this month was organized by officials with Spoleto Festival USA. The island was presented to members of the Phillips community as an example of a Gullah community that is working to preserve its cultural heritage.

"This is providing a lot of leadership in South Carolina because we haven't always done a good job dealing with different aspects of our history, dealing with race, dealing with class," said curator Mary Jane Jacob, one of the leaders of the "Evoking History" project. "All of this is our history. It's the area's story."

Kendra Hamilton, a writer who grew up in Charleston but now lives in Charlottesville, Va., helped organize the trip. Hamilton and Jacob hope it will lead to an arts movement to help preserve culture in the face of development.

Members of The Phillips community, a rural settlement area outside Mount Pleasant founded 120 years ago by black farmers, artisans and businessmen, are participating, but it is not clear how much help Spoleto will be able to provide.

The once-rural neighborhood is now surrounded by the town of Mount Pleasant and new subdivisions. Walter Hood, a professor of landscape architecture at the University of California-Berkeley, said the neighborhood retains its historical layout, with narrow lots along Horlbeck Creek, resembling English land planning. But development is creeping closer.

Phillips resident Ulanda Scott, who made the trip to Sapelo, said she is worried about her parents, who still live in Phillips.

"Taxes are skyrocketing. I'm afraid my mother and father won't be able to afford to stay when they have lived here forever," Scott said. "We'd like to hold on to what we have."

Another Phillips resident, Richard Habersham, said the community needs a cultural center to preserve and promote its history. Habersham and others are hoping Spoleto will help build one.

The trip, through several Gullah communities in Georgia and Florida, was intended to show Phillips residents that others facing similar development threats have responded, but in different ways.

Habersham said the festival has good intentions but is moving slowly. "This community doesn't have the time," he said.

Maurice Bailey, who led the group's tour of Sapelo Island, describe the community as a forgotten place. Bailey said the island's isolation - it is accessible only by boat - used to be a blessing because it preserved the Gullah mix of African, Caribbean and American influences. But now Bailey says the community could benefit from more awareness.

"We've lost a lot of people. We've lost a lot of land. We're trying to get some land back from the state of Georgia, but it's been a battle," he said. "Our kids are not going to stay on the island because there are no jobs on the island."

Wilson Moran showed the group around the former site of the Harris Neck community in Georgia. The federal government seized the land during World War II to build airstrips. After the war, the property was turned into a wildlife refuge.

"Now they say us coming back here would destroy the wildlife," Moran said. "It takes us an act of Congress to get the land back to the people who owned the land in the first place."

Jacob said the trip could help reveal answers for residents and the artists.

"I do consider this part of our artistic process," she said. "It may even be a work of art."

On June 10, the festival will host a discussion about preserving culture in the face of development.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congress, the state, local government so what, businessmen and women dont seem to care. And they are and considered the ULTIMATE decision-makers.

Has anything changed, I thought we lived in a DEMOCRACY that cares about the needs of the PEOPLE.

High taxes on property owned by PEOPLE is very CONCERNING indeed.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Azacotogan Benin : Daagbo of Ouidah being called "His Majesty" and "global leader of Vodun?!?" Benin 0
Angela22 Black Poetry : He Called Me a Hoe Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Sarah Sanders says CNN's April Ryan has called for her to 'be decapitated' Black People Politics 0
Ndugu Black Entertainment : Don Shirley, band member, called "Green Book" movie a complete lie Black Entertainment 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : News Anchor Expertly Claps Back At Viewer Who Called Her N****r Black People Doing Positive Things 3
Kemetstry Black Money Business Jobs : SHE'S CALLED THE NEXT STEVE JOBS Black Money Business Jobs 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : A Memphis woman is planning to file a complaint after her doctor called her “Aunt Jemima” Black Health and Wellness 0
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : american-university-called-police-to-protect-its-first-black-president Black People Politics 0
B Black People : What is an eridean? I was called "a good eridean." Black People Open Forum 10
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : CNN's Marc Lamont Hill Called Steve Harvey and MLK III 'Mediocre Negroes' Black People Politics 44
S Black People : Martin Luther King Jr. "Why Jesus Called a Man a Fool" August 27, 1967 Black People Open Forum 1
Senegal Black Education / Schools : Why Was It Called The Emancipation Proclimation? Black Education / Schools 2
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The Stoics influenced by Hippocrates the so-called father of Medicine AACOOLDRE 0
Liberty Law Forum : VIDEO SHOWS HOUSTON OFFICER ATTACK WOMAN At Traffic Stop Who Called 911 Because She Feared Him Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 3
Writspirit Black People : Faith Under Fire: Betrayed By A Thing Called Love Black People Open Forum 0
T Black Muslims : Consciousness: In Al Qur'aan, it is called, Taqwa. Islam Study Group 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Obama called out Hillary Clinton over her 'Colored People's Time' joke Black People Politics 3
nilevalley Black Women : In 1968 when "Black women wore afros they were "Black & Beautiful in 2016 they are called "ugly" Black Women 4
Chidike Black People : Now That The Addicts Have Changed to White, the "War on Drugs"is Now Called A Health Crisis Black People Open Forum 2
HODEE Black Spirituality Religion : Hebrew or the So Called Negro: The True Hebrew Israelites Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 13
Umar Black People : #Anonymous Has Called out Texas Authorities about #SandraBrown Black People Open Forum 3
RAPTOR Spoken Word : Two Poets Just Called Out The Black Men Who Hate Black Women - "To Be Black and Woman and Alive" Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
Fine1952 African American History Culture : the so-Called Jews: Perpetrators of Our Maafa/Black Holocaust African American History Culture 11
crwn Black People : Why White People are Called Caucasian (Illustrated) Black People Open Forum 3
chuck Black People : What Truly Motivates The So Called Islamist Terrorists! Black People Open Forum 4
I Black Spirituality Religion : If God is a Spirit why is He called in the scriptures "He" and not "It?" Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 51
Keita Kenyatta Black People : A black Baptist church is now the proud owner of... a KKK museum and a hate-filled store called the Black People Open Forum 1
shaka64 Audio Video Web Conferencing : It ain't steppin but it is super sexy it's called Kizomba Albir Rojas and Sara Lopez Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MS234 Black People : Patti LaBelle slams being called a 'diva', calls today’s pop stars 'little heifers who can’t sing' Black People Open Forum 2
jamesfrmphilly Black People : Kanye allegedly hits teenager who called Kim Kardashian a ‘n-word lover’ Black People Open Forum 79
GodofTomorrow Writing Discussion : It's Called a "Round Robin" Short Stories - Authors - Writing 7
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Short Stories : Tribe called BLAQ Short Stories - Authors - Writing 2
chuck Black People Politics : What Is The True State Of Our So Called Black Nation? Black People Politics 47
chuck Black People : What Is It We Can And Should Be Doing For Ourselves On The So Called Homefront? Black People Open Forum 18
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Poetry : From my nu Shayheh's Book of Songs called Grapevine Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 11
Alarm Clock Haiti : Haiti: Political Assassination? Suspicious Death of Judge Who Called for Prosecution of Presidential Pan-Africanism - African Diaspora 4
chuck Black People Politics : What Do You Feel And Think Should Concern Us On the So Called Homefront? Black People Politics 0
Kemetstry Science and Technology : SUMMIT ON BEE DEATHS CALLED! Science and Technology 1
S Audio Video Web Conferencing : A Man called Django! (1971) Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
E Black People : Who Really Benefits From So-Called Terrorism? Black People Open Forum 19
Feather Black People : How I Got Over the Hate of So Called White People <3 Black People Open Forum 228
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : Fugees ft. A Tribe Called Quest &amp; Busta Rhymes - Rumble In The Jungle Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : A Tribe Called Quest - I Left My Wallet In El Segundo Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Destee Audio Video Web Conferencing : The Sheeple - The So Called Ignorant Masses - Destee Podcast Audio Video Web Conferencing 11
Destee Black Entertainment : If Jerry Springer or Maury Called You - Would You Go? Black Entertainment 18
Fine1952 Black Spirituality Religion : The Truth Is In the Words - African connection to the so-Called Jews Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 5
$$RICH$$ Black Sports : NY Post Writer: Brooklyn Nets Should Be Called 'New York N-----s' Because Of Jay-Z Ownership Black Sports 21
Fine1952 Black Spirituality Religion : The Pagan Tomb of the so-Called Daniel Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 4
N Black People : So called "Black on Black crime" Black People Open Forum 10
S Black People : Police Called Out on Medical Alert Shoot Dead 68 Year Old Black Veteran Black People Open Forum 2