Black People : SMDH:ALLURE TEACHES WHITE WOMEN HOW TO "GET" AN AFRO

Black Phoenix

Jul 30, 2015
God, they're sickening....I knew they were coming for the 'fro after the lips and butt.

ALLURE TEACHES WHITE WOMEN HOW TO "GET" AN AFRO
BY: DEVRI VELAZQUEZ 8.9.15

NEXT ARTICLE: What I Have Accepted About My Coily Type 4 Hair »

PHOTO COURTESY OF MASHABLE

If you opened Allure's August 2015 issue you may have noticed an article titled "You (Yes, You) Can Have An Afro...even if you have straight hair." Even if you didn't, the spread has since made its internet rounds, possibly at an accelerated pace in the wake of the Rachel Dolezal controversy. The step by step tutorial details how to get the style that is being "adopted by a new generation of tastemakers" on white actress and model, Marissa Neitling. The article makes no mention of the cultural symbolism or history of the Afro--rather, points to the hairstyle as a hip, trendy accessory to what's in right now.

Chris McMillan, the hairstylist who styled the model's hair, told Huffington Post that his take on the Afro (on a white woman) was inspired by none other than Barbara Streisand in A Star Is Born. He came to his own defense, stating "I learned how to do hair from the African American girls in beauty school...I do black hair." And yet, the significance of culturally appropriating this traditionally African American hairstyle was lost on McMillan, the editorial staff, and the model, who posted this photo onher Instagram after the issue became available to the public:

Read more: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlr...tm_source=plus.google.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
Imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery

Black Phoenix

Jul 30, 2015
Imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery

Imitation is one thing, appropriation, obfuscation and abnegation of the origin is another. White people in general love to act like they were integral to whatever style, artistic endeavor , slang, etc. that they adopt...they just can't let others be great.

Enki

The Evolved Amphibian
STAFF
Aug 27, 2010
The Third Plane of Existence
Occupation
Civil Eng.
Imitation is one thing, appropriation, obfuscation and abnegation of the origin is another. White people in general love to act like they were integral to whatever style, artistic endeavor , slang, etc. that they adopt...they just can't let others be great.

Nothing they do looks like ours.

images

Peace!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
shaka64 Black People : How to get away with murder (SMDH) Black People Open Forum 5
Black Phoenix Black People Politics : SMDH: Abigail Fisher, Please Stop Blaming People of Color for Your Mediocrity Black People Politics 0
S Black People : Black Preacher Against Neo Soul Artists-SMDH! Black People Open Forum 9
info-moetry Audio Video Web Conferencing : Allure ft. Nas - Head over heals Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
info-moetry Audio Video Web Conferencing : Allure feat. Nas - Head over Heels Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : All Cried Out by Allure feat.112 Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Amnat77 Black Spirituality Religion : The Allure of Nacissistic Sprituality Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
D Black Entertainment : vanessa-williams-goes-naked-for-allure/ Black Entertainment 1
Black Phoenix Black Entertainment : Black Media Company Releases First Animated Series That Teaches Children Authentic African American Black Entertainment 0
RAPTOR Black People : Dr Umar Johnson teaches Jesse L. Peterson Black People Open Forum 4
John Williams Black Spirituality Religion : Islam teaches belief in the Bible (How can a Muslim not believe in the Bible?) Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 54
jamesfrmphilly Metu Neter - Vols I - II - III : Ra Un Nefer Amen Teaches In Philly Metu Neter - Vols I - II - III Study Group 8
Keita Kenyatta Black People : What History Teaches Black People Open Forum 6
D African dance master teaches life lessons Black Parenting 0
Destee Chat

Latest profile posts

Cheryl Fitts wrote on Destee's profile.
I am looking for participants in a study to share their experiences as former African American males served as ED/EBD/BD in the southeast. Participants ages 18-35 will be interviewed and given the opportunity to express their thoughts, feelings and impressions of their school years. If interested or for more information please contact me directly. Thanks, Cheryl
Cheryl Fitts wrote on Destee's profile.
Thank you for the welcome. I have a question. I am a doctorate student in need of participants for my study. Is it allowable to post a request for study participants. If so, this is the post that would be uploaded:
Let's us all remember in 2021 to protect our energy and to do the best we can to grow and evolve.
Queen Destee im back still showing lo e after what 20+ yrs? You know always stop through from time to time
Destee wrote on rhymebad's profile.
@rhymebad ... i love you ... :love: ... what was going wrong about polls and being blocked and stuff?