Black People : Slavery -> Katrina -> Detroit ... When Will We Be Able To Save Ourselves?

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Peace and Blessings Family,

I remember all of the noise regarding Katrina, how the government responded so slow ... black people dying, starving, living in terrible conditions for days. Everyone was up in arms about why the government didn't hurry up and save the majority black people that were not able to flee.

Even then I wondered why don't we have our own "FEMA" or something, organized, that can come in during these chaotic times and help our own people.

Now here we are again ... Detroit ... folk thirsty ... economic depravity .... and there's no black organization taking the lead, helping these black folk. Instead, we're crying and begging for the same people that have repeatedly shown us that they don't care about us like we think they should ... yet we continue to beg them.

We continue to fail to prepare for our own selves and our own people.

There will be another catastrophe ... i promise ... and we'll probably be as prepared then as we are now ... perhaps even less so ... for few are even talking about how we can fix our own problems, take care of our own people, give our own folk a tall glass of cold water ... nope ... most are looking to someone else, outside of us, to fix this. They say we spend billions a year collectively ... but there aint one collective nickel if anyone is hungry, starving, homeless, sick ... none of that.

Is this the long term cost of remaining with one's captors ... depending on them completely for survival? Teaching the children to do the same? Never creating anything substantive to save the collective, because our captors will do it?

Who does this in real life?

What's wrong with us?

Why isn't there more evidence of all this unity i hear folk talking about?

Are we begging in unison ... we are often unified about that, based on the discussions.

I just don't get it.

It's like being in an abusive relationship ... the man beats you ... you cry about how low down he is ... and then go right back to him 'cause he gave you a bauble or two ... and guess what ... he beats you again ... repeating the vicious cycle over and over ... never preparing to leave ... never leaving ... never breaking free.

I don't get it ... i really don't ... especially with so many forward thinking folk present.

I guess we'll be up in arms again soon ... for another catastrophe is sure to come.

Obviously ... economic depravity, homelessness, hurricanes, slavery, murders, death, prisons, no jobs, hunger, and now no water ... aint no 'nuff to move us to look out for our own selves. I heard someone say years ago, that the skin will be dripping from our bodies, and we still won't move.

:heart:

Destee

Major Tubbs

Apr 18, 2014
Peace and Blessings Family,

I remember all of the noise regarding Katrina, how the government responded so slow ... black people dying, starving, living in terrible conditions for days. Everyone was up in arms about why the government didn't hurry up and save the majority black people that were not able to flee.

Even then I wondered why don't we have our own "FEMA" or something, organized, that can come in during these chaotic times and help our own people.

Now here we are again ... Detroit ... folk thirsty ... economic depravity .... and there's no black organization taking the lead, helping these black folk. Instead, we're crying and begging for the same people that have repeatedly shown us that they don't care about us like we think they should ... yet we continue to beg them.

We continue to fail to prepare for our own selves and our own people.

There will be another catastrophe ... i promise ... and we'll probably be as prepared then as we are now ... perhaps even less so ... for few are even talking about how we can fix our own problems, take care of our own people, give our own folk a tall glass of cold water ... nope ... most are looking to someone else, outside of us, to fix this. They say we spend billions a year collectively ... but there aint one collective nickel if anyone is hungry, starving, homeless, sick ... none of that.

Is this the long term cost of remaining with one's captors ... depending on them completely for survival? Teaching the children to do the same? Never creating anything substantive to save the collective, because our captors will do it?

Who does this in real life?

What's wrong with us?

Why isn't there more evidence of all this unity i hear folk talking about?

Are we begging in unison ... we are often unified about that, based on the discussions.

I just don't get it.

It's like being in an abusive relationship ... the man beats you ... you cry about how low down he is ... and then go right back to him 'cause he gave you a bauble or two ... and guess what ... he beats you again ... repeating the vicious cycle over and over ... never preparing to leave ... never leaving ... never breaking free.

I don't get it ... i really don't ... especially with so many forward thinking folk present.

I guess we'll be up in arms again soon ... for another catastrophe is sure to come.

Obviously ... economic depravity, homelessness, hurricanes, slavery, murders, death, prisons, no jobs, hunger, and now no water ... aint no 'nuff to move us to look out for our own selves. I heard someone say years ago, that the skin will be dripping from our bodies, and we still won't move.

Destee

We really need to work together more, and help one another.
When we have stores or any other Business we should spend out monies there, try and employ one another etc..

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
We really need to work together more, and help one another.
When we have stores or any other Business we should spend out monies there, try and employ one another etc..

Yeah ... tell me about it ... folk talk the talk, but they won't walk the walk.

And when they get called out on it ... they get quiet and act like you hurt their feelings.

Give 'em a minute, they'll get over it - and point at someone else to shoulder the responsibility.

Destee

Keita Kenyatta

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 7, 2004
Yeah ... tell me about it ... folk talk the talk, but they won't walk the walk.

And when they get called out on it ... they get all quiet and act like you hurt their feelings.

Give 'em a few minutes though ... they'll get over it real quick and find someone else to blame.

Destee
Well Sis, it's like this. I know I've been digging in some grippers around here about the 425 BILLION dollars that our people have given to the MAKE ME RICH MINISTERS....and I'm troubled over the idea that our spending power that we will give back to YT people will be a TRILLION DOLLARS in 2015. What does this tell me? It tells me that we don't need anybody for anything. We don't need no reparations, no hand outs, no government programs or anything else. It tells me that we have been following the classic definition of insanity, which is "doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results".

We have begged the government since 1865. We have begged God even longer. We have relied upon so called leaders who didn't all work in our best interest. We have sung, we done marched, we done cried and pretty much did everything but to stand on our own two feet and recognize the reflection of each other in each other. There have been those of us who have labored to get the history out to our people so that they could think and reason for themselves. There have been those of us who have reached into every level of information as it regards our people and the world around us...but obviously the healing that will allow us to live as a whole people just hasn't happened as of yet while time is running out quickly.

Until those of us who regard ourselves as ADULTS, as PARENTS and as LEADERS actually begin to be so, there really is no hope for us on a collective level. As individuals there will always be those of us who will hear and change, who will recognize and adapt, who will do what needs to be done for their own selves...and in the end, that's all it will ever be.

I don't feel as I used to or think as I once did as it regards what's going on concerning us as a people. I just don't have the energy for that kind of stress anymore. As the ole saying goes; You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink, is something that applies to so many of our people that it is too sad to even think about. We have always had everything that we needed within our own selves and our own communities but our conditioning and programming just won't allow us to see it. Then when the idea that we are conditioned and programmed is even presented to us, we act as if that don't apply to us or that it just can't be true....with the end result being that "nothing has changed" and nothing will change until we become thinkers instead of imitators, builders instead of spenders and teachers instead of paycheck collectors.

People think that I have a problem with religion, which I don't....but when I hear people professing all this belief and faith that they have, I only have one question; "SHOW ME THAT YOU BELIEVE IN GOD", which never ever happens individually or collectively in the so called institutions that take the most money from us but give very little if any back. How long must we tarry before we say that the B.S. stops here and now?

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Well Sis, it's like this. I know I've been digging in some grippers around here about the 425 BILLION dollars that our people have given to the MAKE ME RICH MINISTERS....and I'm troubled over the idea that our spending power that we will give back to YT people will be a TRILLION DOLLARS in 2015. What does this tell me? It tells me that we don't need anybody for anything. We don't need no reparations, no hand outs, no government programs or anything else. It tells me that we have been following the classic definition of insanity, which is "doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results".

We have begged the government since 1865. We have begged God even longer. We have relied upon so called leaders who didn't all work in our best interest. We have sung, we done marched, we done cried and pretty much did everything but to stand on our own two feet and recognize the reflection of each other in each other. There have been those of us who have labored to get the history out to our people so that they could think and reason for themselves. There have been those of us who have reached into every level of information as it regards our people and the world around us...but obviously the healing that will allow us to live as a whole people just hasn't happened as of yet while time is running out quickly.

Until those of us who regard ourselves as ADULTS, as PARENTS and as LEADERS actually begin to be so, there really is no hope for us on a collective level. As individuals there will always be those of us who will hear and change, who will recognize and adapt, who will do what needs to be done for their own selves...and in the end, that's all it will ever be.

I don't feel as I used to or think as I once did as it regards what's going on concerning us as a people. I just don't have the energy for that kind of stress anymore. As the ole saying goes; You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink, is something that applies to so many of our people that it is too sad to even think about. We have always had everything that we needed within our own selves and our own communities but our conditioning and programming just won't allow us to see it. Then we the idea that we are conditioned and programmed is even presented to us, we act as if that don't apply to us or that it just can't be true....with the end result being that "nothing has changed" and nothing will change until we become thinkers instead of imitators, builders instead of spenders and teachers instead of paycheck collectors.

People think that I have a problem with religion, which I don't....but when I hear people professing all this belief and faith that they have, I only have one question; "SHOW ME THAT YOU BELIEVE IN GOD", which never ever happens individually or collectively in the so called institutions that take the most money from us but give very little if any back. How long must we tarry before we say that the B.S. stops here and now?

Brother Keita ... i agree with you. I too am tired now. I came into this community with high hopes, tail wagging, just knew it would be a success because my people would join in and help and we'd have our own place and grow and prosper and all kinda stuff ... high high hopes ... that was 16 years ago and it's morphed into ... if you want it destee, you gotta do it by yourself (of course i'm not counting our few Premium Members and Moderators).

It's sad, but i gotta keep hope alive ... that maybe we can manifest our collective greatness.

If not here ... somewhere ... anywhere.

But i aint hold'n my breath. I aint lose'n sleep over it anymore. I can only hope that the babies coming behind us, will be able to do what we could not, even though they have no real leadership, examples, or guides. That's gonna be a lot for them to do, but ... well ... it just is what it is.

We need to be apologizing to the babies right now, for dropping the ball.

I'm agreeing with you Brother Keita ... and i don't do that too regular ... :love:

Love You!

Destee

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : At Johns Hopkins, Revelations About Its Founder and Slavery African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : US lawmakers unveil anti-slavery constitutional amendment Black People Politics 1
C Black People : Its The Foolish And Educated Mind That Believe Slavery Is Over!!! Black People Open Forum 0
M Black People : SLAVERY Black People Open Forum 11
HODEE African American History Culture : Slavery in the US: Here are seven things you probably didn't know - were connected to slavery African American History Culture 0
C Black People : Chattel Slavery Reparation/Repatriation Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Billionaire Steyer shakes up primary with slavery reparations plan Black People Politics 0
OldSoul Black People : Slavery is not our lineage! How the term "ADOS" buys into eugenics and anti-blackness Black People Open Forum 20
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Steyer: U.S. reparations for slavery will help 'repair the damage' Black People Politics 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Reparations mark new front for US colleges tied to slavery Black People Politics 6
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Atlantic slavery left its mark not just in wealthy city centres, but among the rural poor too African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Pastor Whose Church Held Kanye West's Sunday Service Slams Rapper for His Comments on Slavery Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
OldSoul Black People : Princeton seminary will pay $27M in slavery reparations Black People Open Forum 1
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Britain still fails to acknowledge its legacy of slavery—memorializing its victims would be a start African American History Culture 0
C Black People : What If We Were Just Passive Complainers Durning The Event Of Chattel Slavery And Jim Crow Segregation??? Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : Segregated Civil Rights Reparation, Is Not Chattel Slavery Reparation!!! Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : T.I. Destroys Candace Owens Over MAGA & Slavery Talk During Revolt Summit Black People Politics 2
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : West African slavery lives on, 400 years after transatlantic trade began African American History Culture 0
Vhedza1 African American History Culture : The Afrocomb, Black Hair, Slavery & Self-Hatred (Updated) African American History Culture 0
OldSoul Black People : Reparations Are Not Just About Slavery But Also Centuries of Theft & Racial Terror Black People Open Forum 5
OldSoul Black People : Mãe Preta (Black Mother): Brazil Exhibition recovers history of black women who breastfed the white children during slavery Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Danny Glover to testify at House slavery reparations hearing Black People Politics 11
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Candace Owens: Blacks Did Better in the First 100 Years After Slavery Black People Open Forum 6
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Fisk Jubilee Singers: They Introduced the World to Songs of Slavery. It Almost Broke Them African American History Culture 0
OldSoul Black People : Ancestry pulls slavery-era ad after backlash Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Georgetown students vote overwhelmingly in favor of $27 fee for slavery reparations African American History Culture 5
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transatlantic Slave Trade African American History Culture 1
Ndugu Black People : Children sold into slavery in Ghana?? , please say this is not true!!! Black People Open Forum 5
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Kamala Harris, Elizabeth Warren say they support Reparations for black Americans affected by slavery Black People Politics 33
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Tucker Carlson: Host laughs with guest after he suggests black people ‘need to move on’ from slavery Black People Open Forum 0
crwn Black People : ✡️THE JEWS AND SLAVERY Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : White Teacher fired after controversial slavery lesson, building $1 billion class-action lawsuit African American History Culture 0
Perfection Chad : In Context Series: Power and Slavery in Central Africa: Chad (1890-1925) Chad 0
Perfection Black People Politics : ✺ Ɽesearching Black∖African Slavery⋮ Black Historians Attack the Proslavery Argument, 1890-1920 Black People Politics 0
Perfection Black People Politics : In Context Series: Red Indians, Black Slavery and White Racism--America's Slaveholding Indians Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Kareem Abdul-Jabbar compares national anthem to songs of slavery African American History Culture 2
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Bodies Found At Texas Construction Site Were Black People Forced Into Labor — After Slavery Ended African American History Culture 9
Queenie Black People : Slavery of Blacks: who do you blame? Black People Open Forum 12
IFE Black People Politics : Trump's separation of immigrant kids is like slavery Black People Politics 28
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Education / Schools : American Students Aren't Learning The Full Truth About Slavery Black Education / Schools 36
OldSoul Black People : Africans did NOT sell their own people into slavery Black People Open Forum 18
Kemetstry Black People : SLAVERY IN AFRICA Black People Open Forum 1
IFE Law Forum : 50 Companies Supporting Modern American Slavery Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 14
OldSoul OldSoul : A slavery 'game' being used in schools OldSoul 9
Destee Audio Video Web Conferencing : Myths and Mis-conceptions about Slavery Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Condoleezza Rice says America was born with a birth defect: slavery African American History Culture 4
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : African Americans get less sleep than whites, an inequality stretching back to slavery African American History Culture 1
Liberty Health and Wellness : Op-Ed African Americans get less sleep than whites, an inequality stretching back to slavery Black Health and Wellness 1
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : HOW SLAVERY CREATED OUR CONSTITUTION?: Add it up AACOOLDRE 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : 10 Black People Who Acquired Wealth During Slavery African American History Culture 0