Black Women : Shocking History: Why Women of Color in the 1800s Were Banned From Wearing Their Hair in Public

Liberty

Banned
Aug 28, 2015

Woman in Tignon

“Did you know that in late 18th century Louisiana, black and multiracial women were ordered to cover their hair in public?” My sister asked me.

“WOW. Really?” I replied.

I’d probably heard of this in one of my black studies classes in undergrad, but who remembers everything they’ve been taught? Besides, this information felt instantly relevant and I was absolutely intrigued.

It wasn’t unusual for me to feel myself gaining brain cells while in conversation with my sisters, but by the time I caught my racing thoughts so I could ask her some questions, it was time to take care of my baby girl. I knew, however that this was a topic worth visiting again.

With a little digging I found that there was in fact a “law” of sorts that demanded women of color in Louisiana to cover their hair with a fabric cloth starting in 1789 as a part of what was called the Bando
du buen gobierno (Edict for Good Government). What these rules were meant to do was try to curtail the growing influence of the free black population and keep the social order of the time. The edict included sections specifically about the changing of certain “unacceptable” behaviors of the free black women in the colony including putting an end to what he and others believed to be the overly ostentatious hairstyles of these ladies which drew the attention of white men, and the jealousy of white women. These rules are called the “Tignon Laws” A tignon (pronounced “tiyon”) is a headdress.

Read more

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2014/0...ere-banned-from-wearing-their-hair-in-public/

Bootzey

Feb 26, 2008
Metro ATL
Occupation
Don't Ask
I knew this.

This is why I choose to wear my hair wrapped everyday I leave the house. In solidarity. But also to remind him/devil of his grimy past crimes against humanity.

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
Please explain the solidarity?

Bootzey

Feb 26, 2008
Metro ATL
Occupation
Don't Ask
sol·i·dar·i·ty
ˌsäləˈderədē/
noun
  1. 1.
    unity or agreement of feeling or action, especially among individuals with a common interest; mutual support within a group

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Black Poetry : Boys give me a dumb stare because Somewhere in this love affair a love plug with hair is blocking the flow and it get shocking yo got an impressive Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Chyko Black Entertainment : Lupita Nyong’o Reveals This Shocking Thing a Makeup Artist Once Told Her About Her Dark Skin Black Entertainment 0
Ndugu Black Entertainment : Some Rough imagery in the movie "Us" kinda shocking! Black Entertainment 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Africa : Scientific Mystery: Ancient Baobab Trees in Africa Dying at ‘Shocking’ Rate and No One Knows Why All Things Africa 3
shaka64 Black People : Shocking List of 10 Companiez that Profited from the Slave Trade Black People Open Forum 1
Asomfwaa Nigeria : Shocking Report: 77% of All Nigerian Women Use Skin-Lightening Products Nigeria 26
Keita Kenyatta Black People : The Boy Who Sees Without Eyes - My Shocking Story Black People Open Forum 1
RAPTOR Ethiopia : Shocking Decline in Ethiopian Israeli Birthrate Ethiopia 2
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Dr. John Henrik Clarke Shocking Statement Black People Open Forum 7
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Trayvon Martin [SHOCKING SCREAMS] Murder Caught on Tape 911 Call | Black People Open Forum 3
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Trayvon Martin 911 Call [SHOCKING FULL] Murder Caught on Tape | Killed By George Zimmerman #1 Black People Open Forum 0
T Black People : The Shocking Jewish Role in Black Slavery Part I: What Jewish Historians Say Black People Open Forum 6
naija-man Black People : Big Brother Africa:shocking!!! Shameful!! Black People Open Forum 1
SpiritualONE Destee Network : Shocking Discovery Destee Network : 0
A Pan Africanism : Shocking Photos... African American History Culture 5
P Black People : A shocking contempt for the law Black People Open Forum 1
SpiritualONE Black People : Another Shocking 911 Fact Black People Open Forum 19
SpiritualONE Black People : The Most Shocking Documentary on 911 Black People Open Forum 0
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : SHOCKING NEWS......NOT POETRY (WATCHER) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 14
T Black Picture Image Gallery : Shocking but true... Black Picture Image Gallery 23
OldSoul Black People : The 200,000-year-old city found in Southern Africa may rewrite history Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Egypt : Not Egyptian and no great beauty: what Gal Gadot's Cleopatra should look like, according to history Egypt 0
Energy Black Spirituality Religion : Don't Forget, The BIBLE is the ULTIMATE Black History book Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Short Stories : 15 Essential Books on Black History Everyone Needs to Read Short Stories - Authors - Writing 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : First 24-hour news channel "by and for" African Americans set to launch during Black History Month Black People Doing Positive Things 8
R Black Poetry : black history always a whack mystery which involves whips and trips to trees for hangings nothing groovy or cute about the movie roots had to stoop to Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : How Black Lives Matter Is Changing What Students Learn During Black History Month African American History Culture 7
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : The enduring power of Gloria Gaynor’s ‘I Will Survive,’ 40 years after it made Grammy history Black Entertainment 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : Kareem Abdul-Jabbar’s ‘Black Patriots’ Documentary Set On History – TCA Black Entertainment 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : 'The Slaves Dread New Year's Day the Worst': The Grim History of January 1 African American History Culture 4
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Black History Month: Republican's call to honor white people draws outrage African American History Culture 0
One-Hundredd Egypt : Stolen Legacy (1988 documentary) of African History and footage in Egypt Egypt 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Education / Schools : All college students should take a mandatory course on black history and white privilege Black Education / Schools 4
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : A rural town confronts its buried history of mass killings of black Americans African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Sports : Simone Biles makes more history at U.S. Gymnastics Championships Black Sports 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Chicago groups work to document African American history African American History Culture 0
Ndugu Black People : Our History proves ; Cultural Revolutions , cure Cultural Viruses! Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul Black People : Mãe Preta (Black Mother): Brazil Exhibition recovers history of black women who breastfed the white children during slavery Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Carbon dioxide levels hit landmark at 415 ppm, highest in human history Science and Technology 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : 22-year-old woman makes history with college football scholarship: 'Be so good they can't ignore you Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Ndugu Black People Politics : A Black Woman will make History this year, as Mayor of Chicago Black People Politics 0
Ndugu Black Entertainment : Who Benefits from Hollywood's free Black history comic book movie ?? Black Entertainment 4
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Teachers Honor Black History Month With Stunningly Decorated Doors African American History Culture 25
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : ‘Black Girl Magic’: 17 black female judges elected Texas county swear in, make history Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Lauren Underwood Makes History As Youngest Black Woman To Serve In Congress Black People Doing Positive Things 1
Perfection Ghana : ╟ѕтυdιeѕ in the Ѧkan╢History in the Oral Traditions of the Akan Ghana 0
Perfection Black People Politics : ╟ѕтυdιeѕ in Frantz Fanon╢Clinician and Revolutionary: The History of Colonial Medicine Black People Politics 0
Perfection Madagascar : In Context Series: Madagascar: A History of Arrivals, What Happened, and Will Happen Next Madagascar 0
Perfection Black Women : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀ Mining the Forgotten: Manuscript Sources for Black Women's History Black Women 0
Perfection Botswana : In Context Series: A History of Botswana's Seismic Network Botswana 0