Black People : seriously! Black Girls Rock!

anAfrican

Feb 1, 2005
StreetNationEarth: Seattle
Occupation
The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
makes me almost wish i did tv. wonder if a push could be made to air this awards show on bunches of networks?

Awards show celebrating black women aims to uplift

By STACY A. ANDERSON, Associated Press November 3, 2011[/url]

WASHINGTON (AP) — When Beverly Bond started the organization Black Girls Rock!, her goal was to empower young girls of color and give them better images than the often negative depictions seen in the media.

She made a list of women she believed lived up to the mantra, from Beyonce to civil rights figure Ruby Bridges. While the world knows Beyonce by one name, Bridges and other important black women are not as celebrated, and Bond felt that needed to change.

"We have to show them and expose to them these incredible women, and we also have to honor these women," she said. "Some don't get their just due in history and in the world. And more important, our youth don't know about these women."

The 6th annual Black Girls Rock! Awards show is part of Bond's mission to change that. The event, to air Sunday for the second straight year on BET, will pay homage to celebrities such as Oscar-nominated actress Taraji P. Henson, actress Tatyana Ali and gospel legend Shirley Caesar. But it will also honor political activist Angela Davis, WNBA President Laurel J. Richie, and Imani Walker and Malika Saada Saar, the co-founders of the Rebecca Project for Human Rights.

Singer and actress Jill Scott said she was on board with Black Girls Rock! from the moment she first heard the title.

"We are so valuable to this planet; anytime we can see that and hear that and show that, I'm there," said Scott, who performed at the ceremony, taped in the Bronx last month. Other performers included Mary J. Blige, Erykah Badu, Jill Scott, Melanie Fiona, Mary Mary, Estelle and newcomer Elle Varner.[continues]

$$RICH$$

Lyon King Admin.
STAFF
Mar 21, 2001
Da~WINDY*CITY //CHICAGO
Occupation
BUSINESS owner
I love the facts of what they striving for and the deep reflection it will leave on many
young ladies/women and teens ..........Black girls really do rock ........Going hard
big ups to our sisters :toast:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : Why Black Leadership Refuse to deal With Black Folks Problems Seriously ? Chief Elder Osiris 0
C Black People : Nobody Takes The Diaspora Afrikan Seriously!!! Black People Open Forum 0
HODEE Black People : ‘Mask mouth is a seriously stinky side effect of wearing masks Black People Open Forum 0
HODEE Black People : I heard of this organization _ Saw on TV where they are seriously helping New York Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : Seriously??? Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : This Clever Cooking Trick Will Seriously Upgrade Your Roasted Vegetables Food Discussion and Recipes 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Tech addiction is real. We psychologists need to take it seriously Black Health and Wellness 0
Fine1952 Black People Politics : 59 Missiles, Seriously...? Black People Politics 35
Black-king Audio Video Web Conferencing : The Pastor says F U? Seriously. Audio Video Web Conferencing 11
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Kevin Hart Seriously Funny: Grandpop Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
ru2religious Black People : Single Brothas - We have a major problem to deal with - Seriously!!! Black People Open Forum 44
MsInterpret Black Relationships : Background Check: Before getting seriously involved Black Relationships 33
S Black People : Seriously ... What did Bill do for African Americans? Black People Open Forum 10
HODEE Black Poetry : Seriously Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
S Black Entertainment : Billy Preston seriously ll! Black Entertainment 0
Therious Black People : does anyone take the news seriously??? Black People Open Forum 6
Kemetstry Black Entertainment : JUDAS AND THE BLACK MESSIAH Black Entertainment 6
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : 'African Gene Theory' Is a Myth, and It's Harming Black Men's Heart Health Black Health and Wellness 0
Fine1952 Black Money Business Jobs : Black On The Bottom Policies - Tariq Rasheed Black Money Business Jobs 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Barack Obama opens up about the difficulty of 'being a functioning Black person in America' in surprise appearance Black People Politics 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Christians : Feeling politically powerless, black Christians find more comfort in black church: study Christian Study Group 1
R Black Poetry : yeah black history is a whack mystery and my back still blistery from being whiplashed , ready to grip some cash and run to the underground railroad a Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Black Women Aren't Saving America For You. They're Protecting Themselves Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Travel : For Black Americans, a Heritage Trip to West Africa Can Be Life-Changing Black Travel 0
Kemetstry African American History Culture : THE BLACK SPARROW African American History Culture 2
Fine1952 Black Money Business Jobs : Black Tax: The Cost of Being Black In America Black Money Business Jobs 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Black female scientist at forefront of COVID-19 vaccine development Black People Doing Positive Things 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Joy Reid nails the difference between white and Black people after Capitol riots Black People Politics 4
Destee Pets / Animals : Black the Rottweiler - playing with his toy Pets / Animals 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : America has an urgent need for Black doctors: 'It's hard to be what you can't imagine' Black Health and Wellness 0
One-Hundredd Black Entertainment : Jewels of Wisdom found in GTA 5's Black protagonist Franklin Clinton Black Entertainment 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Kwanzaa Is Not ‘Black Christmas’—Here’s What It Actually Is (And How We Celebrate) Black People Open Forum 2
Discerning Black People Politics : Black People: Know your REAL enemy Black People Politics 14
OldSoul Black People : "Elijah Muhammad was the greatest psychologist that Black people ever created, bar none" Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul Black People : "Elijah Muhammad was the greatest psychologist that Black people ever created, bar none" Black People Open Forum 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Parenting : The reality of Black men's love lives and marriages is very different than what's usually shown on TV – I spent years actually talking to them Black Parenting 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Education / Schools : A Black Student's Mother Complained About 'Fences.' He Was Expelled Black Education / Schools 3
Kemetstry Black Money Business Jobs : BLACK OWNED ATH;ETIC BRANDS Black Money Business Jobs 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Black Native American descendants fight for recognition African American History Culture 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Relationships : New Book Claims the Destruction of Black Relationships Is 'America's Unrecognized Civil Rights Issue' Black Relationships 0
Kemetstry Black Money Business Jobs : BLACK OWNED HAIR CARE PRODUCT LINE IN NEIMAN MARCUS Black Money Business Jobs 0
Fine1952 Black People : The Black Tax - *Black Lives Still Don't Matter* Black People Open Forum 25
OldSoul Black People : CONSCIOUSNESS RAISING ONLINE - Nov 15, 2020 - Topic: Black People Dont Want No white God Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : The Destruction Of The Black Afrikan Woman Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : 'You are my wildest dream': Sydney Barber will be first Black woman to serve as US Naval Academy brigade commander Black People Doing Positive Things 0
I_AM_HER Steals and Deals : Black woman -owned Candle Shop in Houston, TX Shopping - Steals and Deals! 0
I_AM_HER Black Women : A black woman's experience and the failed U.S. healthcare system Black Women 0
Discerning Black People Politics : Take that, you Black and Latino defectors! Black People Politics 8
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Louisiana man sentenced to 25 years for burning Black churches Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
C Black People : Will The Black Divine Beings Ever Rise Again? Black People Open Forum 1