Black People Politics : Rep. John Lewis on the comic book that changed the civil rights movement

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
In the Spirit of Sankofa,

Rep. John Lewis on the comic book that changed the civil rights movement

When Rep. John Lewis was 18 years old, he read a comic book that would change his life.

The comic book “Martin Luther King, Jr. and the Montgomery Story” became “like a bible” to Lewis -- and many others of his generation -- who became involved in civil rights.

“Many of the students at the sit-ins and later the freedom rides had read the book,” the civil rights icon told “The Fine Print” during an interview at Kramerbooks in Washington. “It inspired us to start sitting in and organizing and to follow the teaching of Gandhi and Martin Luther King, Jr.”

Click for video:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/power-players-abc-news/rep--john-lewis-on-the-comic-book-that-changed-the-civil-rights-movement-225518794.html

slideshows on Yahoo News!

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

Nahshon wrote on Gracious's profile.
Gracious Queen I hope you do come back to destee...I see last time you were online here was 6 years ago on my birthday...I was probably probably taking a puff on that good 'ol stuff at the time...maybe sitting back sipping Coffee, Tea, or Wine...I just had to go back and read your previous posts.
Moved back to the Borough of my birth...Queens New York...Originally from SouthSide but now I live in Far Rockaway.
Clarity to pursue my mission in 2020
Destee wrote on Omowale Jabali's profile.
Hi Brother O! YAAAAAY! Good to see you! Hoping all is well with you and yours! Happy New Year! :heart:
Destee wrote on King Tubbs's profile.
Hi Brother - so good to see you in the house again! Hoping all is well with you and yours! Happy New Year Beloved! :heart: