Haiti : Red Cross And Other Refief Agencies Are Critcised Over Haitian Relief Efforts

asmith161718

Dec 31, 2009
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...e-haiti-where-did-the-money-go_n_1228334.html

tsk tsk tsk

As filmmaker Michele Mitchell prepares to screen her new documentary film, "Haiti: Where Did the Money Go?," on Capitol Hill Tuesday afternoon, the American Red Cross is scrambling to defend itself against the film's implication that NGOs misused the billions of dollars they raised for Haitian earthquake victims.
Mitchell's documentary, which was produced by Mitchell's company Film At 11 and is currently airing across the country on PBS, investigates where donors' money went and why so little appears to have been accomplished on the ground in Haiti. The film shows that half a million people are still living in tent camps with little or no access to toilets or drinkable water, and one refugee reports having to pay $12 for a tarp, which should have been provided for free.
A senior Red Cross official for international aid is interviewed extensively throughout the film, and Mitchell said she repeatedly asked ARC to answer questions and corroborate facts during the production process.
But ARC spokesperson Laura Howe said people at the organization were "blindsided" by Mitchell's film and disappointed that they weren't able to see it before it was delivered to PBS. ARC released a fiery response to the documentary on Monday, asserting that many of the facts of the film are inaccurate and that it "has a point of view that nothing has been done" in Haiti.
"It is unfortunate that Film@11 did not make any effort to see any of the work the Red Cross is doing on the ground in Haiti or visit any of our programs, but instead made assumptions about our work that have no basis in fact," the statement says. "It is unfair and untrue to imply that because many people are still in camps that no one has received aid. Two-thirds of the people have left the camps and well over 100,000 people have been moved into transitional housing provided by the Red Cross."
The ARC released a document disputing a number of allegations in the film, including that ARC is diverting the interest it earns on Haiti donations back into the organization's general fund instead of to the Haiti relief effort. ARC says it did direct interest back to itself "for a short period in 2010," but that the money now goes back into the Haiti operating budget.
The organization also disputed some of the film's on-the-ground observations, such as the torn tents and lack of clean water.
Mitchell says no one from ARC ever reached out to her to request corrections or point out inaccuracies in her film, and she wonders how anyone can argue against her perceptions of the way Haitian refugees are currently living, since she spent time down there and personally witnessed their situation.
"The thing is, I went to Haiti twice ten months after the earthquake to see what was happening, and then at the 20-month mark, and we have pictures," she told HuffPost. "The camp situation had deteriorated. There were camps of 5,000 people with six toilets between them. There were millions of people in tents during the hurricane, and they were terrified. I like happy endings, and I wish I could report that 'disaster relief 2.0' had worked, but the picture tells a different story."
The ARC has already been forced to defend itself numerous times from criticism of it relief efforts in Haiti, after Hurricane Katrina, and after the Japanese earthquake and tsunami.
"All we've ever asked for is that our services be presented in a balanced and accurate manner," Howe said.

Asomfwaa

Nov 16, 2011
I saw the film. It's shocking if you don't realize that White folk ain't any good.

In their bar, the eat $34 steak and drink imported wine, and on one wall it's written "We're not here for a long time, but a good time."

Meanwhile, Africans starve across from the luxurious parking lot.

I'll tell you what! These Whites even have the nerve to tan in Haiti!

asmith161718

Dec 31, 2009
Wow. That's crazy and extremely cruel. I don't understand why Bill Clinton and the 2 Bushes are not held accountable for this?

Asomfwaa

Nov 16, 2011
Wow. That's crazy and extremely cruel. I don't understand why Bill Clinton and the 2 Bushes are not held accountable for this?

Because the Whites are the ruling class.

You ask yourself--if White power is the most important thing to White people--what's wrong with the situation. Then you'll get why there are no repercussions.

They'll kill you for talking Black Power. That should be proof enough to their agenda.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Istari Haiti : Is The American Red Cross Really Helping Haiti? Pan-Africanism - African Diaspora 1
Ankhur Haiti : OK so what is the wait, with the Red Cross donations for Haiti? Pan-Africanism - African Diaspora 0
D Red Cross appeals to blacks for donations Black Health and Wellness 5
R Black Poetry : SHE SAID: now I'm a down for life red-bone boys wanna kiss my lips and head home they love my skin-tone, correct and hot tonight lips reflect a lot of Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : SHE SAID” got fast lace but like a glass vase it can be broken while a boy is hoping to chase and embrace my waist my lips red hot but not Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : OK she strut butt and stay up with luck she's a RED BONE and boys kiss her and head home because of her skin tone this boy has a TOYOTA with hype he Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
J Black Poetry : In a vessel from my broken heart where my eternal love for you is stored, bloody ink of love of love of suffering, with red tears of sorrow I write ab Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Eat Less Red Meat, Scientists Said. Now Some Believe That Was Bad Advice Black Health and Wellness 0
Perfection Black People Politics : In Context Series: Red Indians, Black Slavery and White Racism--America's Slaveholding Indians Black People Politics 0
Chevron Dove Science and Technology : A LONDON PHENOMENON - RED OCTOBER SKY YESTERDAY... Science and Technology 0
Kemetstry Black Spirituality Religion : ARCHAEOLOGISTS DISCOVER REMAINS OF ARMY IN RED SEA? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
freddie419 Black People : the red mist Black People Open Forum 28
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Four Horses in Revelations white, Red, black, green AACOOLDRE 0
Continuous Broadcast Black People Politics : How President Obama Warned Putin: The Red Phone....NOT Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Why Obama got it right on the Syria ‘red line’: Derek Chollet Black People Politics 3
TruthHitman Black Christians : The People OF EDOM THE RED DRAGON BEAST OF REVELATIONS Christian Study Group 5
Perfection Black Spirituality Religion : ❤ red diamonds Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : Processed Meats (and Probably Red Meats) Can Cause Cancer, Says Controversial WHO Report Food Discussion and Recipes 1
Liberty Black Positive People : The story of Clarence Otis Jr. – Darden CEO leads Red Lobster and Olive Garden Black People Doing Positive Things 2
Black Phoenix Steals and Deals : $39.99 Kenmore 10-Piece Aluminum Cookware Set - Black or Red Shopping - Steals and Deals! 0
Kemetstry Health and Wellness : CDC: Red Eyes Caused By Urine Black Health and Wellness 0
Hetheru Oshun Black Spirituality Religion : Christianity-A Plot Used to Pacify the Black and Red Races Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
Keita Kenyatta Black People : RED LIGHT Black People Open Forum 1
Fine1952 Black Entertainment : The Red Carpet: Think Like A Man Black Entertainment 0
jamesfrmphilly Black Entertainment : Celebrities take red carpet fashion risks at 2014 Met Gala Black Entertainment 1
Kemetstry Black Christians : BLOOD RED MOON COMING FOR THIS ECLIPSE,PROPHESY? Christian Study Group 22
legit-writer Black People : Red Light Cameras Black People Open Forum 5
R Black Poetry : Are red cake that be fed and ate by boy toys, your cake magnificent your hips Can make up the differ Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
CosmicMessenger Audio Video Web Conferencing : Jimi Hendrix Live In San Diego - Red House Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Angela22 Black Short Stories : Red Rose (a mini-short) Short Stories - Authors - Writing 5
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Red Donkey (*** of the Devil Set) AACOOLDRE 2
KaHotep Black Poetry : Yellow, Red, Watermelon and Seeds Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Alarm Clock Black People : The New African Empire comes with a Red White and Blue Flag Black People Open Forum 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Who's the big bad Red Dragon of REV? AACOOLDRE 2
PurpleMoons Black Entertainment : GAME OF THORNES REACTION VIDEO TO "RED WEDDING" EPISODE Black Entertainment 15
ang-EL Black Poetry : Code Red Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : DMX - "Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer" Remix Black Entertainment 5
S Black People Politics : Pre/Post election Terrorism in the Red State of Indiana. Black People Politics 12
thePreacher Black Poetry : Dreams of a red, white, and blue heaven Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Writspirit Black Sports : Cincinnati Red batter George Foster talks about his career and life Black Sports 0
jamesfrmphilly Black Entertainment : Spike Lee on Self-Financing 'Red Hook Summer' Black Entertainment 16
T African American History Culture : Peter Tosh Documentary: Stepping Razor, Red X African American History Culture 0
Keita Kenyatta Congo : White King, Red Rubber, Black Death in the Congo (King Leopold II of Belgium) Republic of the Congo 1
Kemetstry Black Entertainment : RED TAILS Black Entertainment 43
info-moetry Audio Video Web Conferencing : Red hook Projects - Old timers day Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Ankhur Black Entertainment : RED TAILS / Black pride movie recruitment Prpaganda? Black Entertainment 25
Ankhur Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv: Roy Ayers, Red Black and Green Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Ankhur Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv: Freddie Hubbard, Red Clay Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Black-king Black Entertainment : Red Tails story based on the Tuskegee Airmen. Black Entertainment 3
$$RICH$$ Black Sports : RED OCTOBER 2011 Black Sports 8