Black Muslims : Ramadan: Purification for the Soul

noor100

Aug 17, 2010
Eighteen Reasons For Fasting

O ye who believe! Fasting is ordained for you, even as it was ordained for those before you, that ye may guard yourself (against evil)” Qur’an: Chapter 2, Verse 183).
Ramadan is a month of fasting and prayers for the Muslims. The fast consists of total abstinence from food and drink from dawn to dusk. There is, however, a greater significance to fasts than mere abstinence from eating and drinking. The real objective of fasts is to inculcate in man the spirit of abstinence from sins and of cultivation of virtue. Thus the Qur’an declares that the fasts have been prescrib�ed with a view to developing piety in man, as is clear from the verse quoted at the top of this page.
How are the many facets of piety sought to be cultivated through the fasts?
  1. The prime consideration in undertaking fast, as in any act of devotion, is to seek NEARNESS TO GOD and beseech HIS PLEASURE and FORGIVENESS. This itself generates a spirit of piety in man.
  2. The wilful creation of the stringent conditions of hunger and thirst for one’s own self, simply in obedience to the Divine Order, measures the FAITH of man in God and helps to strengthen it by putting it to a severe test.
  3. Fasting enhances through creation of artificial non-availability, the value of the bounties of God, which man is apt to take for granted in the midst of plentiful availability, and thus inculcates in man a spirit of GRATITUDE and consequent DEVOTION to GOD. Nothing else can bring home to man the worth of God’s bounties than a glass of water and a square meal after a day‑long fast. This also reminds man that the real joy in enjoying God’s bounties lies in MODERATION and RESTRAINT and not in OVER INDULGENCE.
  4. Fasting makes us deeply conscious of the pangs of hunger and discomfort suffered by the less fortunate among our brethren, who may have to put up with such stringent conditions all through their lives ‑ it thus enkindles in man a spirit of SACRIFICE leading to CHARITY towards his suffering brethren.
  5. Fasting affords man an unfailing training in ENDURANCE ‑ i.e. a SPIRIT OF. ACCEPTANCE of the inevitable, which could well prepare him to put up with the unchangeable situations in life in the same spirit of RESIGNATION as cultivated during the fasts.
  6. Fasting develops COURAGE, FORTITUDE and a FIGHTING SPIRIT IN man to surmount the heavy odds in life with a cool and tranquil mind. It sharpens his, power of CONCENTRATION to overcome obstacles, through a vigorous exercise all through the month, leading to a steeling of his WILL POWER and RESOLVE, which could help him in trying situations in actual life. It is seen that many an undesirable habit which is found hard to leave, is more easily left off during the days of fasting.
  7. Fasting teaches man RELIANCE on God and CONFIDENCE in HIM in facing the bitter situations in life with the comforting thought that these too, ordained by Him, could well be surmounted through His assistance alone, even as the rigorous state of fasting for a complete month. For, fasting develops the quality of PATIENCE in man, with the realisation that, as the days of fasting, though seeming unending do have a successful and, so are all the bitter situations in life. It therefore infuses a spirit of GOOD CHEER, (driving away BITTERNESS and DESPAIR) in his attitude towards life and in his demeanour towards others.
  8. Through quick alternation of the state of plenty and of scarcity, fasting seeks to inculcate in man the right type of attitude in different situations in life‑ of GRATITUDE and THANKSGIVING in plenty and of PATIENCE and FORBEARANCE in difficulty.
  9. Fasting is meant to CONQUER ANGER, not to augment it, and to develop SELF‑CONTROL in man; for the vigorous effort of wilfully putting up with a continued state of hunger and thirst can well be extended to conquer other infirmities of human character that lead man into error and sin.
  10. Fasting inculcates a spirit of TOLERANCE in man to face unpleasant conditions and situations without making his fellow-being the victim of his wrath on account of his adverse conditions, such as deprivation of his basic needs of life, which constitutes the common cause of dissension among men.
  11. Fasting MELLOWS a man and enhances his character, giving jolt to the human instincts of ‘PRIDE, HAUGHTINESS, ENVY and AMBITION, for when fasting, a man’s energies are too sapped to follow these instincts which are the chief causes of discord and conflict among men.
  12. Fasting exposes the weakness of man in the event of his being deprived of but two of the bounties of God ‑ those of food and drink; it thus infuses in him a spirit of MEEKNESS and SUBMISSION, generating HUMILITY and PRAYER in an otherwise arrogant man.
  13. Fasting breathes the spirit of FORGIVENESS in man towards his subordinates, as he himself seeks God’s FORGIVENESS through fasts and prayers.
  14. Fasting affords lessons in PUNCTUALITY through man’s strict adherence to various time‑schedules in the observance of fasts and offering of prayers.
  15. Fasting can be made to effect ECONOMY in an individual’s life, which can be extended to wider spheres.
  16. Fasting enforces in man rigid DISCIPLINE ‑ mental, spiritual and physical ‑ a trait of character which forms an essential ingredient to success in human life.
  17. Fasting provides LEISURE, that could he gainfully employed in devotional or intellectual pursuits. The month‑long duration of fasts creates a proper climate for the SPIRITUAL REFORMATION in man, infusing in him a spirit pf enthusiasm and zest to turn over a new leaf ‑ an opportunity provided every year.
  18. On the physical side, fasting cleanses the human system of the accumulated impurities of uninterrupted eating throughout the year. It prepares the body for toughness and hardihood to face disease or conditions of scarcity. The rigid abstinence that the fast provides, regulates man’s HEALTH, sharpens has INTELLECT, gives spurt to his SPIRITUALLY and enhances the qualities of his HEART. With the cleansing of the human body, it paves the way for its easy and effective rebuilding through meals at the end of the day or after the month is over.
Source: Jamiatul Ulama South Africa

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Ramadan in Philadelphia's African American community Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
noor100 Black Muslims : Countdown to Ramadan Islam Study Group 8
noor100 Black Muslims : Favorite Qur'anic Verses [For Ramadan] Islam Study Group 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Somali refugees: No food to break Ramadan fast Black People Open Forum 34
noor100 Black Muslims : Prophet's Khutbah for Ramadan Islam Study Group 0
noor100 Black Muslims : Medical Benefits of Ramadan Islam Study Group 4
abdurratln Black Spirituality Religion : Ramadan Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 33
A Black Spirituality Religion : RAMADAN, THE MUSLIM HOLY MONTH... Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 28
N Black People : A Purification Ritual I Support Black People Open Forum 1
R Black Poetry : Brown Soul Sista Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Fox Soul Cancels Farrakhan Fourth of July Speech After Outrage From ADL, Tapper Black People Open Forum 9
J Black Poetry : Every molecule of the body and soul reaches for you. All the neurons in my brain are filled with impulses of thoughts of love for you. I idolize your Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
C Black People : It Is All About The Soul Of Black Afrikan People!!! Black People Open Forum 0
J Black Poetry : You are my beastly lust, body heat from your beauty. A deep feeling of love pierces the psyche and soul, I have an energy dependence on you and your h Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : Dis-integration of the soul Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 7
OldSoul Black People : Soul Murder - This is painful - not for children or childish minds Black People Open Forum 0
TotalView Black Poetry : soul communicating Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
A Black Poetry : My hot love poem from my heart and soul for all black girls and for my dear light brown girls Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
R Black Poetry : I'm a brown Soul Sista looking for a bold mister in VIRGINIA BEACH My mini-skirt is a part of my wor Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
candeesweet Black Poetry : Queen's soul doing Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
T Black Muslims : Satans' attack on The Born Identity of a Soul Islam Study Group 0
candeesweet Black Poetry : Soul perfection Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Kemetstry Black Entertainment : THE QUEEN OF SOUL IS ILL Black Entertainment 1
Liberty Black People : Gucci’s New Ads, Featuring All African-American Models, Under Fire for Treating ‘Black Soul as Drag’ Black People Open Forum 5
1poetsought Black Poetry : Soul Embodies You Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Al D Black Poetry : The Soul of a Man Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Destee Video / Audio : Stone Soul Christmas Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
Queenie Black People Politics : The Soul of the Democratic Party Black People Politics 108
T Black Muslims : Siyaam (i.e. fasting)..The Soul and Sole reason Islam Study Group 0
shaka64 Black People : Philadelphia soul singer Billy Paul died at the age of 81 Sunday morning, according to his manager. Black People Open Forum 2
T Black Muslims : The origin of The Soul Islam Study Group 0
Liberty Black Entertainment : Name That Tune 70's Classical Soul Black Entertainment 13
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : 9 Tastiest Soul Food Spots in the U.S. Food Discussion and Recipes 6
1poetsought Black Poetry : Soul Whisperer Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
chuck Black People : Body And Soul: (Movie) Black People Open Forum 0
CosmicMessenger Black Entertainment : Charles Earland - Journey Of The Soul Black Entertainment 0
CosmicMessenger Black Entertainment : The Soul Rebels - Let Your Mind Be Free Black Entertainment 0
BlaqStalley The Front Porch : Hey DESTEE BlaqueStalley here... I'm here to meet new people & brooding my mind & soul The Front Porch 8
S Black People : man we were beautiful! : Soul Power (The Greatest Music Festival, 1974) Black People Open Forum 0
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : What is soul? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
cherryblossom Audio Video Web Conferencing : Billy Preston: My Soul Is A Witness Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
shaka64 Black Entertainment : soul top ten hits 1982 the year I graduated high school Black Entertainment 3
HODEE Black Poetry : DARK SOUL Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
Khasm13 The Montclairs - Do I Stand a Chance - 1972 [Soul] Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Khasm13 Fairchange - Let Me Be Good [Valley Steel] Rare Deep Soul Chuck Corby Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
cherryblossom Audio Video Web Conferencing : Media: JAMES BROWN Soul Train 1974 Papa Don't Take No Mess/My Thang Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Relationships : Female Best Friends in United Kingdom Soul Style Black Relationships 0
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Travel : 4-Day Weekend Getaway: Soul Traveling Black Travel 0
RAPTOR Black People : Mandela death prompts soul-searching among 'coloureds' in racial limbo Black People Open Forum 2
cherryblossom Audio Video Web Conferencing : I KNOW MY REDEEMER LIVETH - The Young Messiah Gladys KNIGHT, EMPRESS OF SOUL, Audio Video Web Conferencing 0