Black Poetry : RAISED BY THE STREETS

Eric Mitchell

Apr 23, 2004
RAISED BY THE STREETS​

HAD TO FIGHT FOUR GUYS TO KEEP MY BIKE THE FIRST TIME I RODE IT THROUGHT THE PROJECTS. MORE AFRAID OF THE WHIPPING FROM MY MAMA THAN THE FISTS AND FEET THAT STRUCK ME FROM ALL SIDES.

THE STREETS ARE GONNA GET YOU.

THE OLDEST OF THREE, I FOUND MYSELF IN A FIGHT ALMOST EVERYDAY, FENDING OFF A PACK OF FIERCE PREDATORS THAT WOULD ATTEMPT TO PREY UPON ME AND MY SIBLINGS. DIDN’T MATTER HOW MANY TIMES I BEAT THEM DOWN, I ALWAYS HAD TO WATCH MY BACK.

MY FATHER WORKED HARD EVERYDAY AND PROVIDED FOR US AS BEST HE COULD, BUT HIS ADDICTION TO MALT LIQUOR INCREASED MY REALM OF RESPONSIBILITY AND MADE HIM SOMEONE ELSE I HAD TO PROTECT.

MY MOTHER, UNAWARE OF THE PRESSURES I FACED, SAW MY CHANGE IN ATTITUDE AS EVIL AND PROCEEDED TO BEAT THE DEVIL OF ME, NUMBING MY BODY AND HELPING ME FIND A RETREAT DEEP WITHIN MY MIND. THERE I DECIDED NOT TO WEAR THE MENTAL CHAINS THAT BOUND MY PARENTS AND SO MANY OTHERS WHO HAD COME TO THE PROJECTS TO TRY AND MAKE ENDS MEET.

I HAD THE BRAWN, SO I DEVELOPED THE BRAINS TO WORK SMARTER AS WELL AS HARDER. I FORMED MY OWN PACK AND MADE MYSELF THE ALPHA. ALONG WITH MY AGGRESIVENESS AND DESIRE TO SUCCEED, I LEARNED EVERYTHING I COULD ABOUT FINDING THE WEAKNESS IN OTHERS AND MADE THAT MY STRENGTH. I ALSO WENT TO COLLEGE AND EARNED SOME PAPERS THAT SAY I KNOW SOME THINGS.

THE STREETS ARE GOING TO GET YOU.

NOT ONLY DID I SURVIVE, BUT I LEARNED TO THRIVE IN THOSE SAME STREETS WHERE I FOUGHT EVERYDAY. BUT I PAYED A PRICE. I AM INFECTED WITH VIOLENCE AND A HEART THAT’S COLD. SOMEHOW I HAVE BECOME THE BEAST. SO, EVERYDAY I DISGUISE MYSELF IN ITALIAN WOOL SUITS, CONCEAL THE DANGER WITH A COURTEOUS SMILE, AND WADE IN AMONG THE SHEEP.

BY ERIC MITCHELL

PurpleMoons

Administrator
STAFF
Apr 22, 2003
This is an awesome drop!

It pulled me into those
projects as I visioned you
riding your bike as a youth
and growing stronger into
a man!

Wonderful Piece!!!!!!!!!

$$RICH$$

Lyon King Admin.
STAFF
Mar 21, 2001
Da~WINDY*CITY //CHICAGO
Occupation
BUSINESS owner
word up wow!! da streets whewwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Willie345 Black Spirituality Religion : …who raised Jesus from the dead? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Sports : Gwen Berry, U.S. Olympian who raised fist, on IOC's protest policy: 'We shouldn't be silenced. It's a form of control' Black Sports 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : These Fascists Inadvertently Raised Over $35,000 For A Cause They Hate Black People Politics 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : AN INDIRECT PRE-EASTER TWIST: Why was Lazarus raised at Bethany? AACOOLDRE 0
Liberty Black People Politics : Black West Point cadets under scrutiny for raised fists in photo Black People Politics 8
RAPTOR Black Education / Schools : As Obama Admin Seeks More Funding for Charter Schools, Questions Raised over Billions Already Spent Black Education / Schools 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : GoFundMe, the site that has raised money for convicted murderers, will draw the line at abortion ... Black People Politics 2
Keita Kenyatta Black People Politics : President Obama Was Raised By A Homosexual !! Black People Politics 4
Ankhur Black People Politics : Now the president should mandate the debt ceiling RAISED! Black People Politics 79
MsInterpret Kenya : Herman Cain Thinks Obama Was Raised in Kenya Kenya 6
N Black Entertainment : MOMMA RAISED A HELL RAZOR Black Entertainment 1
Ankhur Black People : Brother Smith Raised BP Fist at 67 Olympics, now must sell gold medal??? Black People Open Forum 6
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : Jesus told that the more you keep yourself down, the more you will be raised by God. Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
C Black Entertainment : "A Ship full of slaves transported on the airwaves" ~ Joy Denalane (Born & Raised) Black Entertainment 0
M Black Poetry : He Praise stats and blaze gatts and raised phat in the Ghetto Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
D Daughters and Sons Raised differently Black Parenting 6
E What would you do if you found out the kid you raised wasn't yours? Black Parenting 17
Destee Black Parenting : Were You Raised In a Single or Two Parent Home? Black Parenting 91
T Black Poetry : Games we played......to the parents raised in the 70's and 80's Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
blakverb Black Poetry : Ain't no more raised fists in the air (A Nightmare) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
R Black Poetry : Hood made get good grades never got in trouble that persuades others, on the streets a thug but wanna sweep that under a rug flow galore and know the Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
HODEE Law Forum : California to release 8,000 prisoners in hopes of easing coronavirus crisis _ Back to the Streets Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 14
R Black Poetry : Got witty beats for city streets and a committee keeps track of the deep facts flow for fun but no one care or love them even though they above the ri Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
R Black Poetry : Look his pride talk and like sidewalks it abuts on streets see a girl panties soggy body so hot feel Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : Look his pride talk and like sidewalks it abuts on streets see a girl that strut sweet use cosmetics Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : Strong beats on streets as pride talk on sidewalks run into crime has stone walls best be home yall, Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Mario William vitale Black Poetry : The Streets Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : Eat a snack defeat the whack try win the streets back use the strategy Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : Whose Streets? Powerful Ferguson film focuses on ‘flashpoint moment’ Black Entertainment 1
Damaris Sheldon Black People : Anybody Notice How Quiet It Has Become In The Streets The Last 48 Hours? Black People Open Forum 13
R Black Poetry : My words speak, heard on streets and like a bird’s beak peck cats Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
CosmicMessenger Black Entertainment : Manu Dibango - Dakar Streets Black Entertainment 0
Gorilla Black Positive People : Instead Of Begging, Homeless Man Reviews And Sells Books On The Streets Black People Doing Positive Things 2
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : Jay-Z Streets Is Watching Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Keita Kenyatta Black People : NYPD places full body scanners on the streets Black People Open Forum 1
Kamau47 Black People : Armed Patrols On The Streets Black People Open Forum 4
S Black People Politics : Army Tanks On St. Louis,Mo. Streets ! Black People Politics 0
asimplepoet Black Poetry : Breaking Away (Farewell to the Streets) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
Ankhur Black People : White Folks and Wall st.?/ What about Our Folks and the Communities Streets? Black People Open Forum 8
Indigo Blues Black Entertainment : These Streets Black Entertainment 0
Ankhur Black People : Wall streets Terrorism on the Black Community Black People Open Forum 0
R Black Poetry : Rapping on the Streets Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
R Black Poetry : On the Streets Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Ankhur Black People : Wall Streets war Against Main Street Black People Open Forum 2
R Black Short Stories : Homicide on the Streets Short Stories - Authors - Writing 2
R Black Poetry : ROLLING ON THE STREETS (SONG) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
info-moetry Black Poetry : Da streets of NY pt. 2....Da street So'ja/Info collabo Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
D Black Poetry : The Streets and All Dat Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
R Black Poetry : The streets funny and like to keep money in hustler’s hand Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
G Black People : Philadelphia police chief seeks 10,000 men to guard streets Black People Open Forum 9