Science and Technology : Prying Eyes: Inside the NSA's War on Internet Security

Gorilla

Jan 31, 2009
US and British intelligence agencies undertake every effort imaginable to crack all types of encrypted Internet communication. The cloud, it seems, is full of holes. The good news: New Snowden documents show that some forms of encryption still cause problems for the NSA.

When Christmas approaches, the spies of the Five Eyes intelligence services can look forward to a break from the arduous daily work of spying. In addition to their usual job -- attempting to crack encryption all around the world -- they play a game called the "Kryptos Kristmas Kwiz," which involves solving challenging numerical and alphabetical puzzles. The proud winners of the competition are awarded "Kryptos" mugs.

Encryption -- the use of mathematics to protect communications from spying -- is used for electronic transactions of all types, by governments, firms and private users alike. But a look into the archive of whistleblower Edward Snowden shows that not all encryption technologies live up to what they promise.

One example is the encryption featured in Skype, a program used by some 300 million users to conduct Internet video chat that is touted as secure. It isn't really. "Sustained Skype collection began in Feb 2011," reads a National Security Agency (NSA) training document from the archive of whistleblower Edward Snowden. Less than half a year later, in the fall, the code ******** declared their mission accomplished. Since then, data from Skype has been accessible to the NSA's snoops. Software giant Microsoft, which acquired Skype in 2011, said in a statement: "We will not provide governments with direct or unfettered access to customer data or encryption keys." The NSA had been monitoring Skype even before that, but since February 2011, the service has been under order from the secret US Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC), to not only supply information to the NSA but also to make itself accessible as a source of data for the agency.

Full Article: http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/inside-the-nsa-s-war-on-internet-security-a-1010361.html

The article mentions specific applications, cites information in the leaks, and points out that quite a few tools still give the NSA problems (OTR, truecrypt ( r.i.p), ZRPT, GPG). Worth a read...

Carrie

Mar 27, 2015
Nothing is secure now. Haven't you heard they have planted an non-traceable malware in hard discs that sends information to these agencies. I don't this anything is secure now a days both from governments or hackers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
rasheed Black Poetry : What Da Hell, dis aint wurkin cordin ta planz(from my consciousness prying limericks) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
rasheed Black Poetry : Symbolic 13(from my consciousness prying limericks) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
R Black Poetry : He see a girl pies smoking and eyes wide open he can only stare at and hope she share that his mind mixed and shook but he had a fixed look on her, h Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
A Black Poetry : Black eyes as black space, I plunge into endless love and true happiness, the stars of passion burn in them. Your eyes are capable of bewitching any m Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : How to Take Care of Your Eyes as You Age Black Health and Wellness 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : DNA suggests 10,000-year-old Brit had dark skin, blue eyes Science and Technology 2
R Black Poetry : Proceed to weep need some sleep rest my eyes got breasts and thighs your game is a hardcore strain o Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Mario William vitale Black Poetry : These Eyes Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Pliny the Elder & Rev chapter 3 using same structure on topic of the Eyes AACOOLDRE 1
R Black Poetry : HE SAID: #1 Sprinkle vibes with a twinkle in my eyes and that accentuate // My smile when I convers Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : When a Stoic Philosopher cures the eyes of Paul: and the key to unlocking Lukewarm AACOOLDRE 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The Eyes of Ra: and the Catholic eye at their altar AACOOLDRE 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : My Eyes have seen The Goddess AACOOLDRE 1
Chevron Dove Chevron Dove : What Are DOVE’S EYES & What Would that Look Like on a Person? Chevron Dove 5
chuck African American History Culture : Have You Seen 'Eyes On The Rainbow': African American History Culture 0
chuck Black People Politics : No Flame: Just Smoke In Our Eyes?!? Black People Politics 0
R Black Poetry : HE SAID: my mad duty is to add beauty to rap but a cutie zap // my eyes right here in Virginia Beac Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
R Black Poetry : my mad duty is to add beauty to rap but a cutie zap // my eyes right here in Virginia Beach and n Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Just what was Paul's doing with Scales in his eyes AACOOLDRE 0
R Black Poetry : “NAW PLAYER like the twinkle in eyes you wanna wrinkle my pies after you sprinkle lies in my ears y Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
R Black Poetry : “LOOK BOO love your eyes got mellow vibes on cd so jump in my ride quick wanna see them yellow thig Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Revelations Chap 4: The Janus eyes of Domitian Throne AACOOLDRE 1
Kemetstry Health and Wellness : CDC: Red Eyes Caused By Urine Black Health and Wellness 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Messianic Trees: Please Spit in my Eyes Jesus/Osiris AACOOLDRE 0
macoo Black Muslims : Are your eyes beautiful or ugly? Islam Study Group 15
CosmicMessenger Black Entertainment : Natacha Atlas - When I Close My Eyes Black Entertainment 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Messianic Trees: Spit in my eyes please AACOOLDRE 1
Destee Black People : Ever Got Beat Up in Your Sleep - Waking to Scratches, Bruises, Black Eyes, etc.? Black People Open Forum 11
cherryblossom Black Men : Ben Underwood: The Boy Who Saw Without Eyes Black Men 1
S Audio Video Web Conferencing : Their Eyes Were Watching God [Full Movie] Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
CosmicMessenger Audio Video Web Conferencing : Natacha Atlas - "When I Close My Eyes" Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Sheldon Hollis Black Poetry : Seeing Through The Eyes Of Wise Men Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
KaHotep Black Poetry : letters upon eyes Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
MsInterpret Black Poetry : In His Eyes Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Keita Kenyatta Black People : The Boy Who Sees Without Eyes - My Shocking Story Black People Open Forum 1
crwn Black People : All Eyes & Ears On This Black People Open Forum 1
MsInterpret Black Relationships : I Undress Men With My Eyes Black Relationships 79
cherryblossom Black Ancestors : "Eyes On The Stars" - Remembering Ronald McNair Honoring Black Ancestors 0
Ra Nehem Black Spirituality Religion : Opening of the Mouth and Eyes Ceremony in Kamit Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
beautyshows Quiet Poetry Lounge : my eyes Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
Feather Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Julia's Eyes Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Feather Podcasts / MP3s / Audio : Julias Eyes... Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
K Black People : interesting thing about blue eyes... no pigment Black People Open Forum 6
Ankhur Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv: Flora Purim, Open Your Eyes You can Fly Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Ankhur Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv: Wayne Shorter, Infant Eyes Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
noor100 Health and Wellness : Kohl...[for the eyes] Black Health and Wellness 1
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Rick James & Smokey Robinson - Ebony Eyes Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Lauryn Hill - Cant take my eyes off of you Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
info-moetry Audio Video Web Conferencing : Jaheim - Heaven in my eyes Audio Video Web Conferencing 4
OldSoul OldSoul : Eyes On The Prize - Have your children seen it? OldSoul 3