Black People Politics : President Obama should not be welcomed at March on Washington commemoration

RAPTOR

Sep 12, 2009
by Jared Ball
"Ajamu Baraka is a human rights defender whose experience spans three decades of domestic and international education and activism. Baraka is a veteran grassroots organizer whose roots are in the Black Liberation Movement, anti-apartheid and Central American solidarity struggles. He can be found online at ajamubaraka.com."
Listen to the discussion here: http://imixwhatilike.org/2013/08/20/ajamubaraka50mow/

by Ajamu Baraka

"On August 28, the 50th anniversary of the historic 1963 March on Washington, an event is being organized at the Lincoln Memorial by the King Center, Southern Christian Leadership Conference and the National Council of Negro Women to commemorate that extraordinary and consequential demonstration. To highlight the occasion, these organizations apparently extended an invitation to the President of the United States to deliver the keynote address on the very same spot where Martin Luther King delivered his legendary “I have a dream” speech.
The fact that Barack Obama will be standing in the shadow of Dr. King, his presence conveying the impression that he somehow represents the values and self-sacrificing lives of Dr. King, A. Philip Randolph, Bayard Rustin, Ella Baker, Rosa Parks and many of the thousands gathered that afternoon on the national mall, should be taken as an insult by everyone who has struggled and continues to struggle for human rights, peace and social justice." Read more: http://www.ajamubaraka.com/

Kadijah

Banned
Apr 7, 2013
an invitation to the President of the United States to deliver the keynote address on the very same spot where Martin Luther King delivered his legendary “I have a dream” speech.
The fact that Barack Obama will be standing in the shadow of Dr. King, his presence conveying the impression that he somehow represents the values and self-sacrificing lives of Dr. King, A. Philip Randolph, Bayard Rustin, Ella Baker, Rosa Parks and many of the thousands gathered that afternoon on the national mall, should be taken as an insult by everyone who has struggled and continues to struggle for human rights and social justice."
Those who took part in the March envisioned not only human rights and social justice, but the convener and organizer, Bayard Rustin, had as a focus ECONOMIC justice. People only "think" MLK organized the march. No, he was simply the keynote speaker - Rustin who always had as central to any mass agenda, jobs and economic rights, was the prime mover, shaker and architect of the march. With black unemployment twice the rate of white and NO plans, initiatives or relief in sight OR on the books, no way should the president be invited to speak at this 50th anniversary of people power!

The March on Washington was a Protest against social and economic justice, not a celebration of one black man getting a "good" job. That's all that Obama would represent - one black man achieving his dreams and ambition. A quarter of a million people did NOT march for that. The March was about the people, not one individual..... especially one in a position of power that can't deliver for black people. President Obama, as the ULTIMATE representative of the status quo, should be the LAST person invited to speak!

And if he were the last? They should cancel the March.

butterfly#1

Mar 10, 2011
IMHO....it was the right thing to do.
Nothing would make the naysayers' happier than for the organizers and participate at the march deny their President the opportunity to speak on this.very prestige occasion. Martin and his crew would to it without a thought.

Bro. Raptor this is just my opinion. No need for debate..

RAPTOR

Sep 12, 2009
IMHO....it was the right thing to do.
Nothing would make the naysayers' happier than for the organizers and participate at the march deny their President the opportunity to speak on this.very prestige occasion. Martin and his crew would to it without a thought.

Bro. Raptor this is just my opinion. No need for debate..
HoTeP butterfly#1,

No debate from me. Usually, when I post these articles, video clips and or links to audio discussions, I'm interested in folks sharing their thoughts as it pertains to issue/topic.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sekou kasimu Black People Politics : Should President Obama attend Nancy Reagan's funeral? Black People Politics 9
sekou kasimu Law Forum : Drugs: Should President Obama Legalize or Decriminalize Marijuana? Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 170
T Black People Politics : Can you give us reasons why you think Barack Obama should be the president? Black People Politics 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Michelle Obama: I Didn't Believe America Was Ready For A Black President Black People Politics 5
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Sports : President Obama plays with Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan over weekend Black Sports 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : OBAMA'S INNER CIRCLE JUST INDICATED THEIR CHOICE FOR PRESIDENT IN 2020, AND IT'S NOT JOE BIDEN Black People Politics 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : The World Can’t Afford President Obama’s Silence Anymore - He Speaks Black People Politics 12
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : T.I.'s Open Letter to President Barack Obama: "You Shook Up and Woke Up a Generation" and to Trump Black People Doing Positive Things 6
Continuous Broadcast Black People Politics : How President Obama Warned Putin: The Red Phone....NOT Black People Politics 0
Liberty Black People Politics : Obama Addresses Racism For The First Time As President Black People Politics 0
Liberty Black People Politics : Here's why President Obama is unlikely to pardon Hillary Clinton Black People Politics 2
Liberty Black Education / Schools : President Obama Highlights Education Policy Achievements Black Education / Schools 2
Fine1952 Black People Politics : President Obama’s New Home Black People Politics 0
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : Diddy says President Obama ‘shortchanged’ black people Black People Politics 1
HODEE Black Education / Schools : President Barack Obama launched Computer Science for All initiative Black Education / Schools 14
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Bill Clinton: ‘Awful Legacy Of The Last 8 Years,’ Later Says He Wasn’t Referring To President Obama Black People Politics 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Meet President Obama's Nominee for Librarian of Congress Black People Politics 0
Black Phoenix Black People : President Obama Proposing to Provide Free College Tuition to Low Income Students to Attend HBCUs Black People Open Forum 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : Watch Ramona Brant Walk Out Of Prison After 21 Years, Thanks To Clemency From President Obama Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Dr. Bernice King on her father’s legacy in 2016, the GOP, Obama’s last year as President and more Black People Politics 3
Liberty Black People : President Obama’s Favorite Song Choice of 2015 Is The Blackest Thing We’ve Ever Heard This Week Black People Open Forum 3
Liberty Black People : President Obama Named GQ’s ‘Man Of The Year’ Black People Open Forum 0
Liberty Law Forum : Watch: Trailer for Vice Special on Broken Criminal Justice System, Featuring President Obama (Sept. Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
RAPTOR Black People Politics : First Trump. Now Jesse? : Jesse Jackson Says President Obama Failed Black People Black People Politics 23
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Are race relations really worse under President Obama? Black People Politics 1
RAPTOR Black People Politics : Trump Says Americans Won’t Vote For Another Black President Because Obama Was So Bad Black People Politics 46
RAPTOR Black People Politics : Obama: ‘I’m a Pretty Good President’ And If I Ran For a Third Term, I Could Win Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Why Obama will be the first president to visit a federal prison Black People Politics 17
Clyde C Coger Jr Kenya : Obama's Grandmother to cook for President on Historical Kenya trip to Africa Kenya 7
RAPTOR Black People Politics : "Byron Allen is raging mad at President Barrack Obama and wants everyone to know about it." Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : President Obama Paid For Private White House Party With Prince, Stevie Wonder Black People Politics 0
Fine1952 Black People Politics : President Obama Appeals 2 Pope Francis Black People Politics 6
RAPTOR Black People Politics : President Obama: Grand jury decision not an ‘excuse for violence’ in Ferguson Black People Politics 3
shaka64 Black People Politics : Forbes.com :Obama is the best President of modern times! Black People Politics 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : President Obama denounces Donald Sterling's "incredibly offensive racist remarks" from Malaysia Black People Politics 4
Destee Black People Politics : My Brother’s Keeper - President Obama to launch major new effort to help young minority men Black People Politics 6
HODEE Black People Politics : A Virtual Road Trip with President Obama Black People Politics 0
RAPTOR Black People Politics : Do Democrats and President Obama Really Want to Raise the Minimum Wage? Black People Politics 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Audio Video Web Conferencing : President Barack Obama - Drop It Like It's Hot SPOOF Audio Video Web Conferencing 4
legit-writer Black People Politics : Group calls for President Obama to resign Black People Politics 2
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : President Obama to Tom Joyner: ‘It’s not enough just to have a black president’ Black People Politics 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Obama rodeo clown speaks out, says he would be ‘honored’ to shake president’s hand Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Michelle Obama on Race, First Female President, Her Bangs Black People Doing Positive Things 0
RAPTOR Black People Politics : President Obama Signs “Anti-Protest” Bill H.R. 347 Black People Politics 0
sekou kasimu Black People Politics : Has President Obama Been Good For Black People? Black People Politics 6
RAPTOR Black People Politics : "Top Ten Things Black America Will Have To Show For 8 Years of President Obama" by Bruce A Dixon Black People Politics 50
Omowale Jabali Omowale Jabali : Just A Thought - Does Jesus approve of President Obama authorizing drone strikes? Omowale Jabali 52
RAPTOR Black People Politics : Another president of afrikan descent/origin after pres. obama? Black People Politics 4
Destee Black People Politics : President Obama's 2012 Acceptance Speech - Full Text Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Texas judge warns of possible ‘civil war’ if President Obama is re-elected Black People Politics 39