Black Parenting : Positive Characters for Black Children

Kyooms

Nov 16, 2011
Oh, okay.

But, Bella sho got a deep tan.
lol not intentional :p

I just don't see any distinction amongst the three....all shades of brown, lighter to darker....same eyes, same noses, etc...just different racial assignments. ....The only thing that distinguishes "Melody" is "kinky hair" while the latin child's hair is black and straight and the white child's hair is blonde and straight.
That's actually what I was going for, I wanted the Kyooms to look very similar to each other, because they are all sisters in the end. Of course that's a little into the story (which doesn't exist in print as yet - books are expensive so I am only doing art prints for now) but I do have at least a small very simple overview of them on the website that is currently under construction at the moment.
Note I do need to edit Melody's description a little here

At first glance, would most Black parents buy these books for their little girls?

Or would most Black parents have to take a deeper look to see the "story-line" and then buy them?

I'm just sayn.
Hm, well it's hard for me to say, it deopends on the type of parent of course. I feel like you may be asking if a "concious" parent would, as opposed to just most black parents.
I think black parents may in general, even I owned a Barbie growing up who was not black, so I don't see why a parent would not want to buy a character who is not only black, but represents something positive, is adorable and a main influence among her peers of different backgrounds.
One of the things I wanted to do when creating a positive main black character was to have her excel among peers that weren't necessarily of her own background, to me, nothing sends a stronger message of confidence to a black child than showing a black child can be successful even when they venture out of the comfort zone of people who are most similar to them.

Kyooms

Nov 16, 2011
Kyooms, if u want to make ur animations Afrocentric,you should give all your characters dark brown skin.

If the characters are given extremely black skin, you risk promoting the Little Black Sambo stereotype.
Sometimes depending on the print the skin color can appear much darker or much lighter, that's why when persons first voiced concern about Melody's skin being too light I didn't feel that was true. As you can see in the cup cake pic for instance she can appear quite dark.

sister i like it and you on the right track to get it out there ...I wish you luck and u got my support
Thank you Rich!

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Peace and Blessings Sister!

Your 'babies' are beautiful up there! Great Job! :toast:

I want to be sure you know about the following, so you can use it to its fullness!

Please check out this thread ... Aggressive Promotion Allowed in Blogs ... it explains how you can use your free blog here, to promote your site, business, or whatever you want ... leaving as many links as you'd like ... but it can only be done in the blogs ... if you're not Premium.

Here's a link to where you can immediately start blogging and promoting!

Wishing you continued success with your endeavor and all that you set your heart and mind to!

If you have any questions let me know.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

Kyooms

Nov 16, 2011
Peace and Blessings Sister!

Your 'babies' are beautiful up there! Great Job! :toast:

I want to be sure you know about the following, so you can use it to its fullness!

Please check out this thread ... Aggressive Promotion Allowed in Blogs ... it explains how you can use your free blog here, to promote your site, business, or whatever you want ... leaving as many links as you'd like ... but it can only be done in the blogs ... if you're not Premium.

Here's a link to where you can immediately start blogging and promoting!

Wishing you continued success with your endeavor and all that you set your heart and mind to!

If you have any questions let me know.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee
Thank you Destee! The blog idea is great! I will make one! :)

BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE

Nefertum Husia Shayheh
Aug 10, 2013
"Are you not enough right mindfulness? Are you not a good character in your children's story book? Who are you then?"

(Diary of a Black Man: Just An Illusion) Copyright 2014

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

Clarity to pursue my mission in 2020
Destee wrote on Omowale Jabali's profile.
Hi Brother O! YAAAAAY! Good to see you! Hoping all is well with you and yours! Happy New Year! :heart:
Destee wrote on King Tubbs's profile.
Hi Brother - so good to see you in the house again! Hoping all is well with you and yours! Happy New Year Beloved! :heart:
Destee wrote on Ms Drea's profile.
Sister ... what did you decide? How will we be moving forward? I've been working, I am excited. I Love You! Happy New Year Beloved! :heart:
One-Hundredd wrote on Destee's profile.
Hope you having a happy holidayz