Amun-Ra : Polygamy

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
river said:
Women get along better when they have their own territory and are not in each other's hair. Being married to the same man is not going to make a difference.
All we have really established is that polygamy would not be the right lifestyle for you Sister River, and this is your right. This lifestyle certainly should not be forced on those who are unwilling, and unable to practice it. Although I subscribe to the notion of polygamy, I am in a monogamous marriage, and don't see myself in any other type of relationship (I have not met another woman who even compares to my wife). Indeed, I can only afford to take care of myself, my wife, and my daughter. If I attempted to engage with another woman, any money I gave to her would be taking food out of my family's mouths (which is a crime). This is why laws of polygamy require that a man be able to provide for all women & children equally. If a person is unable to do this, then they can not practice polygamy (whether they "believe" in it or not). In a true polygamous marriage two different women would have two different houses. Therefore being in each others hair would not be an issue. I will say this though...most people who object to polygamy are looking at the institution through the eyes of the "Western" world...which you should not do. Just because a practice is not within the guidelines of the West doesn't mean that it is immoral.

river

Watch Her Flow
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
There are still aspects of this issue that take it beyond my personal preference.

Because I am a Christian the pracaticality of a thing is not the litmus test for whether or not it should be done. As I pointed out hefore just because God allows people in the Bible to do certain things does not mean they are within His will. His will is that a man leave his mother and father and cleave to his wife and they TWO shall become one flesh. Three people cannot become one as a man runs from house to house. I realize that not everyone is a Christian and not everyone feels obligated to follow the Bible (even some Christians don't so you know...). For many marriage is just a legal, practicall and financial contract that can be designed and redesigned anyway they want without any regard for how God designed it to be. I cannot speak for them. But I do speak to the people of God who might be led to think that polygamy is okay with Him.

Pan, if we are talking about having polygamy in the west then we must see it through the eyes of the west because it will not work for us the same way it works for the east. The biggest assumption proponents of polygamy make is that it will be about one man having more than one wife. It won't work that way in the west. If you insist that it is okay for a man to have two wives western women will insist that it is okay for a woman to have two husbandsand thay will insist that this is even more practicle because a woman doesn't have to worry about if she can take care of all her husbands instead the second husband will lighten the leoad for the first husband. That's the way the western mind works.

I don't think polygamy is immoral. If it were immoral King David would not have been called the apple of God's eye. God clearly permits men to have more than one wife. But that is not His perfect will. Polygamy is not the way God planned things from the beginning. Reality is there is precious little in this world that is as God planned it from the beginning. So He permits some things like divorce and polygamy as responses to our realities.

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
river said:
I don't think polygamy is immoral. If it were immoral King David would not have been called the apple of God's eye. God clearly permits men to have more than one wife. But that is not His perfect will. Polygamy is not the way God planned things from the beginning. Reality is there is precious little in this world that is as God planned it from the beginning. So He permits some things like divorce and polygamy as responses to our realities.
It is the reality that I deal with at all times.

river

Watch Her Flow
Mar 22, 2004
Occupation
Author
Amun-Ra said:
You might say we are male challenged--there are many answers, but I like polygamy because it produces an argument and if you haven't guessed it by now--I like to stir things up, but its all in a good cause. Thinking opens the mind, stimulates new thoughts and helps each of grow--I am tring to get smarter by reserving my judgement or reserving my right to change my mind or be persuaded--That's why I like to challenege people to take a stand on something they have absolutely no use for and then make an argument for its existence because it forces one to think about another point of view, especially iof you have to defend a view you don't find to your liking--Ra

:idea:
Your efforts to stimulate our thoughts are much appreciated, Ra. These are the kinds of activities my father enged me in when I was a child. As a result I think very deeply--questioning not only the answers but often questioning the questions. Of course we all come to any discussion or argument with a heuristic paradigm based on our the knowledge and experiences that we bring to the table. I appreciate a discussion that is not like "Here's a nickel. Give me five pennies." Like a pair of scissors it's the opposition of the blades that pushes the material to the cutting edge os truth.

river

Watch Her Flow
Mar 22, 2004
Occupation
Author
panafrica said:
It is the reality that I deal with at all times.
Then I would like you to address some of the realities of polygamy in the west that I brought up, i.e., American women insisting that they should likewise be allowed to have more than one husband. Also how do three people become one?

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
river said:
Then I would like you to address some of the realities of polygamy in the west that I brought up, i.e., American women insisting that they should likewise be allowed to have more than one husband. Also how do three people become one?
Multiple husbands is not polygamy, it is polandry (mispell). I'm sure you are aware of many women that already have more than one man River (The nice guy, the dangerous/exciting guy, the guy who buys me things, etc). However one of the conditions that makes polygamy necessary, and preferable is a greater amount of available women than available men. Women in America across all races outnumber men more than 2 to 1. Therefore it can't be logically argued that polandry is necessary here. However there are some places (Alaska & parts of Asia) were the amount of available men out number available women. In this case, the multiple husbands would be acceptable.

Speakinig of reality. The reality of the American sex ratio amoung single people is: It is numerically impossible for every woman in America to find a husband, because women outnumber men. No amount of Bible quoting (particularly considering the Bible doesn't speak against polygamy) or Western European reasoning is going to change that reality. For the roughly 50% of women in America, they are faced with the prospects of being a single parent...becoming a lesbian...or living a life of solitude. Ironically most American women who are against polygamy, base their objections on a belief it is anti-Christian. However two out of the three alternatives I listed (homosexuality & having children out of wedlock), are directly against the principles of the Bible. Yet millions of supposedly Christian women choose these paths instead of considering polygamy. I don't see lesbianism, single parent-hood, or solitude as healthy choices...to me polygamy is a logical choice. When this reality sinks in...I think more women will believe so too.

river

Watch Her Flow
Mar 22, 2004
Occupation
Author
Oh Pan, I feel like I just passed up a good thing. Five minutes ago a very nice man with a good job and a good reputation in the comunity told me to call him if I was just sitting here in my apartment with nothing to do. I smiled sweetly and said yes then you and Wendy (his wife) can come and keep me company. I don't think he knew that I knew he had a wife so he played it off in an unbroken series of successful gestures. Maybe I shoulda taken him up on it. But I'm pretty sure Wendy would have something to say about that.

Daddy, it has nothing to do with logic. In this little one-horse southern town where most of the woman have to iron their pants in the driveway I could easily have as many men as I want because they look at me and fall all over themselvles like they never seen a woman before. If I was the kind of woman to do that I would care less for logic or if other women had any man. There are plenty women who are like that and would get all they can and can all they get and wouldn't care about the logic or the numeric ratio. This argument is very academic. It looks good on paper. In its ideal form polygamy is logical. I'm not a lesbian. I don't want to be a single parent and being alone drives me up the wall sometimes. But is that enough to make me or any American woman accept that man's proposition if Wendy said she didn't mind? Logic doesn't seem to have too much to do with this. Is it inertia?

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
river said:
This argument is very academic. It looks good on paper. In its ideal form polygamy is logical. I'm not a lesbian. I don't want to be a single parent and being alone drives me up the wall sometimes. But is that enough to make me or any American woman accept that man's proposition if Wendy said she didn't mind? Logic doesn't seem to have too much to do with this. Is it inertia?
I hear you sister River, but keep in mind I am talking about being a man's second wife. I am not talking about being his concubine...his mistress...his jumpoff (in more recent terms). There is a definate difference, and the proposal wouldn't be indecent or deceptive (like the one made to you by the "supposed" upstanding, married member of the community).

river

Watch Her Flow
Mar 22, 2004
Occupation
Author
I know, Pan and I wish it could be a reality. I wish the ideal could work. I guess I just know the western mind too well to see that ideal being reached here. This is the scene: You and Ra present all your arguments to the supreme court and the nine say yes you are right. This is logical and it will solve a lot of problems. Then state by state it becomes legal and accepted for a man to have more than one wife. Then the feminists jump up and...No wait! I'm thinking through my argument and in order for the feminists to have their way there will have to be a large number of men willing to share one woman. That's not going to happen. They may make it legal for a woman to have more than one husband but the men aren't likely to go for this. Forget it. You take the prize in this debate.

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
river said:
I know, Pan and I wish it could be a reality. I wish the ideal could work. I guess I just know the western mind too well to see that ideal being reached here. Forget it. You take the prize in this debate.
Anyone who grew up in Western Society is going to struggle with this idea. As a man who is in a monogamous relationship with his wife (and content)...I wish that every man and woman could have the same. However, I know this to be numerically impossible because there are at least twice as many women as there are men. Match up every man in the world with a woman, and there would still be hundreds of millions of women by themselves....facts are facts! If 20 people attend a function with only 10 dinners, some are going to have to share, if everyone is going to eat. Trying to deny the obvious only brings frustration.

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

It's okay to admire otherz, but first, love self. ELEVATE your self-image by having a healthy love & respect for yourself. ✍
1619+400=2019 Jamestown Virginia...end of slavery. (Yes modern miseducation and injustices count as slavery) But no proper reparations will be given since the amount of contributions beyond humanity transcends generations. Our people have history that is equal to trillions of dollars including Melanin research and its supernatural power.
I want my people to be aware of this dilemma regarding the upcoming election... I know politics. Yes Trump is admitting the truth about Black People building this so called country corporation (The United States). But you must understand that what they're planning on doing is to divide and conquer. This is all just for him to get re-elected. He's going to promise reparations and reneg at the last minute.
Ifypedro334 wrote on Jasica Adam's profile.
The best gift to give a baby boy is ??
Lon
Trying to find my way around on this forum. It's not User Friendly