Black People : Police at the Black History Month Program

river

Watch Her Flow
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
Yesterday brotha oldsoul told us that all whites are the police. That seemed like a bold statement yet I knew it is true. It really came home just how true a statement it is last night when the Kiwanis club asked me to do something for BHM.

Two regular policemen attend this club and they sometimes bring in reinforcements. They don't wear blue uniforms. Their only badge is the colorlessness of their skin. They smile at me. They always say hello and they're really glad to see me. So how do I know they are the police?

I know by the frantic fear in the eyes of the Black members when I suggest that maybe things in New Orleans didn't go down quite the way the media said they did. They were eyes that had seen the blood burning moon and did not want to see it ever again. I know they are police by the emphatic tone the Blacks take when they are saying things that will reassure the whites that all is well and we will continue to be docile church-goers (though they know I don't go to church anymore and they stopped asking me to lead the prayer) I know they are police because what's going on with my people in Africa and in the prisons of Amerikkka is never discussed. Going by their smiles I would think such atrocities don't exist.

So I wasn't really looking forward to a Black History program in front of the police. As I thought of the things I could not say I felt like a monkey about to perform tricks before an amused audience. I talked about the Harlem Renaissance and recited a poem from God's Trombones. They loved it but all the time I was thinking if I could--if I could I sho-o-olly would--I'd stand right up on the rock--I'd stand right where Moses stood. Yes I would..

torch

Apr 13, 2006
Why were the police there...to make sure our brothers and sisters dont "get out of line" with the truth? Malcolm X said "they use to come with a growl and a bite, now they come with a growl and smile but it still has the same effect"

river

Watch Her Flow
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
torch said:
Why were the police there...to make sure our brothers and sisters dont "get out of line" with the truth? Malcolm X said "they use to come with a growl and a bite, now they come with a growl and smile but it still has the same effect"
That is exactly right. Black History Month is so that we can share and learn about our-story and ancestors--Sankofa. White people do not need to be there at all. When they are present Black History is all about the first black person to do this and the first black person to do that--innocuous stuff to make them feel good and safe. Only when we are alone do we learn about how they abuse us in prison, how our present condition is do to the actions of the KKK burning our businesses and driving Black elected officials out of town. That part of Black history is so important that they want us to forget it. No we won't.

KWABENA

STAFF
STAFF
Jun 10, 2004
Everywhere
Occupation
Leader-Student-Teacher
river said:
White people do not need to be there at all. When they are present Black History is all about the first black person to do this and the first black person to do that--innocuous stuff to make them feel good and safe. Only when we are alone do we learn about how they abuse us in prison, how our present condition is do to the actions of the KKK burning our businesses and driving Black elected officials out of town.

...THESE are the reasons why I always appreciate(d) Dr. Khallid Muhammad - he does not try to make "massa" feel good when he speaks. At the Black Holocaust Conference back in the 90s' (Howard University), he got to the White Photographers so bad, that they got up and left themselves!

KD

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
OldSoul Black People : CONSCIOUSNESS RAISING ONLINE - Oct 4, 2020 - Say their names - Black Women Killed by Police Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : City suspends Miami police captain who claimed to be black Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Police Shootings of Unarmed Black Americans May Affect Health of Black Infants Black Health and Wellness 0
Ndugu Black People : No Reason Why we should not have a Nationwide Boycott on Black Friday ova Police Lynching! Black People Open Forum 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : Police bodycam footage of woman, 65, resisting arrest sparks outrage: 'If she was black she would've been shot' Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
Clyde C Coger Jr The Police : Police Killed More Than 1,100 People This Year and a Quarter of Them Were Black Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 3
freddie419 Black People : When Black America Was Pro-Police Black People Open Forum 1
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : american-university-called-police-to-protect-its-first-black-president Black People Politics 0
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : police-stop-5-black-youths-at-gunpoint Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Teen’s Prom Dress Honoring Black Lives Lost To Police Brutality Goes Viral Black People Doing Positive Things 1
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : undercover-nypd-police-infiltrated-black-lives-matter Black People Politics 1
Destee The Police : Paris police say rape of black man an 'accident' Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : Black woman arrested in Texas after calling police about a man assaulting her son Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 10
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : black-people-not-calling-911-over-police-brutality Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
sekou kasimu The Police : Tulsa, OK. Police Shoot Unarmed Black Man. Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 10
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : black-man-shot-by-cops-after-calling-police-to-report-robbery Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
Queenie Law Forum : Black Police Officers--Dangerous? Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 6
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : report : chicago-police-have-no-regard-for-black-lives Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 4
OldSoul OldSoul : The Cabula 12: Brazil’s police war against the black community OldSoul 1
Chidike The Police : Ingleside Police Department Kill Young Black Couple Asleep In Their Car Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Liberty Law Forum : Protests erupt after black man shot by police in Minneapolis Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
Black Phoenix Law Forum : Black Father of Five Jailed & Indicted For Child Murder Despite Police Testimony Stating No Eye.. Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Donald Trump On Black Lives Matter: ‘We Have To Give Power Back To The Police’ Black People Politics 13
RAPTOR The Police : Black Police Chief Makes Community Policing Work...Then Gets Fired Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 4
RAPTOR Black People Politics : Little girls send a “Letter to the President” about black people dying from police brutality Black People Politics 0
KMeister Law Forum : New shooting of unarmed black man by Baltimore police Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Sandra Bland - ‘Say Her Name’ Turns Spotlight on Black Women and Girls Killed or Arrested by Police Black People Politics 132
$$RICH$$ Law Forum : Black women killed by Police Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 3
RAPTOR The Police : Crime Memphis Police Demote Black Cops If They Keep Complaining About Racism Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
RAPTOR The Police : Police In Florida Are Using Bike Laws To Criminalize Being Black Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
RAPTOR The Police : Watch: SC Police Officer Charged With Murder After Shooting Black Man in the Back Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 2
RAPTOR The Police : A Black Site in Chicago? Police Accused of Running Secret Compound for Detentions & Interrogations Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
RAPTOR Law Forum : White man shoots black police chief 4 times without being arrested or charged Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Enki Black People : Police chief suspends training program after outcry over use of black men’s mugshots for target prac Black People Open Forum 3
shaka64 The Police : St. Louis police killed ANOTHER young Black boy Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 16
shaka64 Black People : Tensions Rise in Savannah, Georgia, After Police Kill Black Man While in Custody Black People Open Forum 3
RAPTOR Black People Politics : The Congressional Black Caucus Voted Overwhelmingly to Continue Militarizing Police Black People Politics 14
RAPTOR Black People : Police Militarization Historically Used to Quell Black Rebellion Black People Open Forum 1
shaka64 Black People : 'I want the truth to come out': Black female firearms officer in elite police unit claims her career Black People Open Forum 2
RAPTOR Black People : LAPD Officers Removed Antennas from Police Cars in Black Areas to Disable Recording Devices Black People Open Forum 2
MsInterpret Black People : Black Honor Student Shot 25 TIMES By St. Louis Police Black People Open Forum 12
ru2religious Black People : Police Kicked 9 month pregnant black woman in the stomach Black People Open Forum 31
Destee Black People : Black fireman says he was abused and Tasered by Metropolitan Police Black People Open Forum 0
S Black People : Police Called Out on Medical Alert Shoot Dead 68 Year Old Black Veteran Black People Open Forum 2
W Black People Politics : Black woman who allegedly threatened lawmakers executed by police Black People Politics 2
ru2religious Black People : Another Black man gets killed by the Police in San Francisco Black People Open Forum 7
S Black People : Oakland police kill unarmed Black Man. Black People Open Forum 7
Destee Law Forum : Is It Illegal for a Black Man to Videotape the Police? (lboogiez) Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 10
Ankhur Black People : Police Brutality in Pittssburg on Black High School student Black People Open Forum 0
S Black People : The Most Dangerous Enemies - Black Police Officers Black People Open Forum 41