Black People : Photographer-LaToya-Ruby-Frazier-Wins-625k-MacArthur-Genius-Grant

jamesfrmphilly

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Jun 18, 2004
north philly ghetto
Occupation
retired computer geek
LaToya-MacArthur-art_rdax_450x300.jpeg

Photographer LaToya Ruby Frazier has won a 2015 MacArthur Foundation "genius grant" of $625,000, the foundation announced early this morning. Frazier was the only photographer among 24 artists and scientists selected as MacArthur Fellows this year.

Frazier said in a video released by the MacArthur Foundation that she was "overjoyed" because the grant gives her the opportunity "to continue to make meaningful work and to have a purposeful life."

The grants are awarded annually with no strings attached to "talented individuals who have shown extraordinary originality and dedication in their creative pursuits," according to the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation. Julia Stasch, president of the foundation, said in a prepared statement that this year's fellows "are shedding light and making progress on critical issues, pushing the boundaries of their fields, and improving our world in imaginative, unexpected ways.”

Frazier, who is 33 and an assistant professor at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, has explored issues of race, class, environment and community health by documenting her family against a backdrop of deindustrialization and economic decline in Braddock, Pennsylvania.

Screenshot 2015-09-29 18.15.01.jpg

- See more at: http://www.pdnonline.com/news/Photo...Genius-Grant-14638.shtml#sthash.WRqU2LEK.dpuf

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr South Africa : South African photographer of iconic protest image dies South Africa 2
jamesfrmphilly Black Picture Image Gallery : photographer-chronicles-the-new-african-diaspora Black Picture Image Gallery 0
Black Phoenix African American History Culture : The photographer who rejected racism in the American south African American History Culture 5
CSmith Black Positive People : Fuji, 3-Year-Old Photographer Black People Doing Positive Things 0
jamesfrmphilly Black Sports : now, THIS is a good photographer..... Black Sports 3
Amnat77 Black People : Photographer Ernest Withers doubled as FBI informant to spy on civil rights movement Black People Open Forum 8
G Destee Network : Gmoneyp2010-filmmaker,actor,writer,photographer Destee Network : 1
S Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : "More", LaToya London Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Ancestors : Lucille Bridges, mother of activist Ruby Bridges, dies at 86 Honoring Black Ancestors 0
Kemetstry Black Entertainment : R.I.P. RUBY DEE Black Entertainment 4
shaka64 Black People : Iggy who??? Nicki Who???Ruby Ibarra, RyanNicole, TrueJones, Kri$$y Blvnko -Prod. by M-Jaf Black People Open Forum 0
Enki Spoken Word : Ruby Dee - A Poem ABout Tupac on Def Jam Poetry Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
jamesfrmphilly Black People : Actress Ruby Dee dies at 91 Black People Open Forum 6
Kemetstry Black People : Happy 87 th Ruby Dee Black People Open Forum 2
B Black Entertainment : Halle Berry, Cicely Tyson, Ruby Dee: Other Movie Actresses Black Entertainment 14
cherryblossom Black Ancestors : The Trial of Ruby McCollum Honoring Black Ancestors 9
G Black People : Revolutionary Ecology: The Legacy of Judi Bari-by Ruby Dee Black People Open Forum 0
Destee Chat

Latest profile posts

Destee wrote on rhymebad's profile.
@rhymebad ... i love you ... :love: ... what was going wrong about polls and being blocked and stuff?
Destee wrote on pdiane's profile.
Welcome Home Sister! :love:
pdiane wrote on panafrica's profile.
Hey Destee, thank you for still being here! You are loved!
pdiane wrote on panafrica's profile.
I'm Black on Destee, I feel at home! It's been a while! Soooo in 2004 I married my Senegalese Husband, when I first went to Senegal, I loved, it! The people were hospitable and my husband's family was very kind! Well I've been there many times now, have taken African Americans, well over 150 and it has been an amazing experience!
Free as free can be