The Evolved Amphibian
STAFF
Aug 27, 2010
The Third Plane of Existence
Occupation
Civil Eng.
In the Spirit of Sankofa,

Oromo Protests: Why Ethiopia's Largest Ethnic Group Is Demonstrating

Since the Ethiopian government announced plans to expand the territory of the capital Addis Ababa in April 2014, the country’s largest region, Oromia, has been racked with protests that have led to hundreds of deaths ...

http://www.newsweek.com/oromo-protests-why-ethiopias-biggest-ethnic-group-demonstrating-430793

Oromo people mourn a suspected protester who was allegedly shot dead by Ethiopian security forces, Oromia region, Ethiopia, December 17, 2015. Oromos have been protesting against plans to expand the capital Addis Ababa since November 2015.ZACHARIAS ABUBEKER/AFP/GETTY IMAGES

Everytime I read about the strife in Africa I'm reminded of a comment I heard on a video I have. This Elder, who's a keeper of the African history said that these problems really started when whites invaded Africa. They re-drew established boundaries that was centuries old to accommodate the whites.

Peace!

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Everytime I read about the strife in Africa I'm reminded of a comment I heard on a video I have. This Elder, who's a keeper of the African history said that these problems really started when whites invaded Africa. They re-drew established boundaries that was centuries old to accommodate the whites.

Peace!

Yep, that's it, the Elder hits the nail on the head. Its known as Africa's Tumult, or at least I describe it that way in Does Color Matter? :)

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author

The 'Ethiopia rising' narrative and the Oromo protests

Oromos have been the victims of indiscriminate and disproportionate attacks in the hands of security forces

So much for the "Ethiopia rising" meme which Ethiopian authorities ostentatiously promote to camouflage the repressive nature of the state.

A new report published by Human Rights Watch on the Oromo protests depicts a disturbing picture of a government that thrives on systematic repression and official violence ...

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2016/06/ethiopia-rising-narrative-oromo-protests-160620140306460.html

Ethiopian migrants, all members of the Oromo community of Ethiopia living in Malta, protest in Valletta, Malta, December 2015 [Reuters]

chuck

Aug 9, 2003

The 'Ethiopia rising' narrative and the Oromo protests

Oromos have been the victims of indiscriminate and disproportionate attacks in the hands of security forces

So much for the "Ethiopia rising" meme which Ethiopian authorities ostentatiously promote to camouflage the repressive nature of the state.

A new report published by Human Rights Watch on the Oromo protests depicts a disturbing picture of a government that thrives on systematic repression and official violence ...

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2016/06/ethiopia-rising-narrative-oromo-protests-160620140306460.html

Ethiopian migrants, all members of the Oromo community of Ethiopia living in Malta, protest in Valletta, Malta, December 2015 [Reuters]

Yes I also do know a little about the sad legecy of Italian colonialism too!!

chuck

Aug 9, 2003

Peace!
On point and on time comments...

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Rio 2016

Why Feyisa Lilesa's gesture was such a brave - and important - moment

... But to anyone familiar with the political situation in Ethiopia, his arms aloft pose meant something much more brave and important: a defiant stance that could spell danger for him but has drawn international attention to an important issue ...

http://mashable.com/2016/08/22/ethiopia-feyisa-lilesa-olympic-protest.amp?ref=yfp

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
:yaay:

Ethiopia says protesting marathoner to be welcomed as hero

ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia (AP) -- The Ethiopian marathon runner who made an anti-government gesture at the Rio Games while approaching the finish line will not face prosecution upon his return home and will have ''a heroic welcome,'' a government spokesman said Monday. But it was not clear whether the runner would go back.

Feyisa Lilesa told reporters on Sunday that he may be killed or imprisoned if he ever returns to the East African country. He called protesting inside Ethiopia ''very dangerous'' ...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ethiopia-says-protesting-marathoner-welcomed-hero-125454433--spt.html

Ethiopia's Feyisa Lilesa crosses his arms as he crosses the finish line to win the silver medal in the men's marathon at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Sunday, Aug. 21, 2016. (AP Photo/Luca Bruno)

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Ethiopia declares state of emergency to restore order after protests

ADDIS ABABA (Reuters) - Ethiopia's Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn declared a six-month nationwide state of emergency on Sunday, saying months of unrest threatened the nation's stability.

Rights groups say more than 500 people have been killed in protests in the Oromiya region since last year, when anger over a development scheme for the capital turned into broader anti-government demonstrations over politics and human rights abuses ...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ethiopia-declares-state-emergency-months-protests-110857519--business.html?.tsrc=daily_mail

Men walk past a bus that was torched during protests in the town of Sebeta, Oromia region, Ethiopia, October 8, 2016. REUTERS/Tiksa Negeri

Last edited:

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

butterfly#1 wrote on Angela22's profile.
Absolutely!
Destee wrote on butterfly#1's profile.
Hi Sweetie Pie Honey Bunch!!!! ... :love: :yaay: :kiss: :yaay: :love:
Love is Gonna Last!!
Destee wrote on One-Hundredd's profile.
@One-Hundredd and @Clyde C Coger Jr ... everyone can add images and video to their own albums (as well as other categories) by clicking the MEDIA link at the top of the page too ... using this link ... https://destee.com/media/ ... just click ... ADD NEW ... to add new images / videos ... Loving Us! Thanks to both of you! :heart:
Destee wrote on Ms Drea's profile.
Hi My Dear Darling Sister - I owe you a phone call. Don't give up on me. I Love You! :heart: