Black Spirituality Religion : OPPRESSION OF WOMEN - Honor Killings Religious or Cultural?

frankster

Aug 3, 2014

In October 2009, she was killed when her father ran her over with his Jeep in a parking lot, crushing her body beneath its wheels. Police allegedthat her father believed she had become “too westernized”; he was tried and convicted of second-degree murder. She liked makeup, boys, and Western music, and hoped to be able to support herself. She also refused to submit to the marriage her father had arranged for her to an Iraqi man who was in need of a green card. Noor wanted to choose her own fate. Instead, her father chose it for her.

Or consider the case of the Egyptian-born taxi driver in Dallas, Texas, who reportedly shot his seventeen-and eighteen-year- old daughters, Sarah and Amina, a total of eleven times for dating American boys. At a vigil commemorating the two girls, their brother took the microphone and said: “They pulled the trigger, not my dad.” Or Fauzia Mohammad, who was stabbedeleven times by her brother in upstate New York because she wore “immodest clothing.” Or Aiya Altameemi, whose Iraqi-born father held a knife to her throat and whose mother and younger sister tied her to a bed and beat her because she was seen talking to a boy near their home in Arizona. Several months before, Aiya’s mother had burned her face with a hot spoon because she refused to be married off to a man twice her age. Her mother, father, and sister were latersentenced to two years of probation. Fauzia and Aiya survived, but they are scarred for life.
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/04/honor-killings-in-america/391760/

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Black People : Race As A Mean Of Oppression Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : Black Afrikans Oppression Is Not An Illusion!!! Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Short Stories : Black Lives Matter co-founder Patrisse Cullors debuts new book about oppression and activism Short Stories - Authors - Writing 2
D The Front Porch : Historic and current oppression, Writing, White people telling the story The Front Porch 8
S Egypt : ARISTOTLE suggests the Pyramids Egypt were instruments of oppression. Egypt 6
S Haiti : Wikileaks: Proof of US-backed economic oppression in Haiti. Pan-Africanism - African Diaspora 7
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : I settle For Nothing Than Divine Freedom, Anything Less, Is Captive Oppression. Chief Elder Osiris 0
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : IS IT DIVINE TO HELP BLACK FOLKS TO BECOME COMFORTABLE IN OUR OPPRESSION ? Chief Elder Osiris 7
U Black People : Video: Chairman Omali Says "Christmas is a Celebration of Our Oppression" Black People Open Forum 15
G Black People : Is Stress, Depression, & Oppression (SDO) Now Blacks (a Once Divine being), Fetish? Black People Open Forum 0
Chief Elder Osiris Black Spirituality Religion : THE CROSS, A SYMBOL OF PERSECUTION, EXECUTION, REPRESSION, OPPRESSION, LIES AND DECEP Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 13
G Black People : MADDOX LAW ON RACE AND OPPRESSION Black People Open Forum 3
D Black People : Is racism = oppression? Black People Open Forum 8
Destee Black Spirituality Religion : Which Religion Has Freed Us From Oppression ? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 187
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : The Recycling Of Blacks In america Oppression Chief Elder Osiris 1
Y Black People : The ABC's of Oppression and Genocide. Black People Open Forum 2
Queenie Black People : More like European Day of Dominance and Oppression? Black People Open Forum 6
A Black People : The color of oppression 1986 Black People Open Forum 7
A Pan Africanism : Oppression Who Does It Affect/effect African American History Culture 1
J Black Poetry : Oppression Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
N Black Poetry : Circle of Oppression Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 11
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Black Women Aren't Saving America For You. They're Protecting Themselves Black People Politics 0
Fine1952 Black Spirituality Religion : Amazon Women: The Truth Behind The Greek Myth Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 3
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : How Igbo women used petitions to influence British authorities during colonial rule African American History Culture 1
OldSoul Black People : What Ever Happened to Hazel Scott? One of the most Brilliant Beautiful Black Women Ever! Black People Open Forum 1
Discerning Black People Politics : Kristen Welker made all Black women proud tonight Black People Politics 4
OldSoul Black People : CONSCIOUSNESS RAISING ONLINE - Oct 4, 2020 - Say their names - Black Women Killed by Police Black People Open Forum 0
Fine1952 Black Spirituality Religion : ?Did Black Women Author The Bible? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
P Black Women : Who of you black women use spankings in education? Black Women 6
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Women : Black Women, Grillz, And The Reclamation Of Power Black Women 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Christians : Texas mayor tells council member women can’t pray at city meetings because Bible forbids it Christian Study Group 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : Black women prosecutors face racial discrimination, death threats Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 2
OldSoul Black People : Consciousness Raising OnLine - HerStory: Black Women Athletes Re-view Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Money Business Jobs : Brand (The Honey Pot) Targeted With Racist Reviews Over Ad Empowering Black Women Black Money Business Jobs 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Ethiopia : 124 years ago, Ethiopian men and women defeated the Italian army in the Battle of Adwa Ethiopia 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : 'I'm not coming here to conform': Black women on why wearing their natural hair at work matters Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 0
SwagII Black Relationships : Are Men & Women Sexually Greedy by Nature, Or What? Black Relationships 10
SwagII Black Women : AGGRESSIVE WOMEN INDEED... Black Women 1
SwagII Black Relationships : Black Women Speak To Your Black Men! Black Relationships 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Homeless women who took over California home gain support Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Kemetstry Black Relationships : WOMEN WHO MAKE THE 1ST MOVE HAVE MORE DATING SUCCESS Black Relationships 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Evangelist Has Powerful Response To Claim That Women Shouldn't Preach Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : Miss USA, Miss Teen USA and Miss America are all black women. This 'Essence' cover honors the monumental moment Black Entertainment 0
Queenie Law Forum : Black Lives Matter: Including Black Women Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Women : Today – August 22 – is the day Black women’s wages finally catch up Black Women 0
OldSoul Black People : Mãe Preta (Black Mother): Brazil Exhibition recovers history of black women who breastfed the white children during slavery Black People Open Forum 0
F Black People : Is real empowerment truly possible if Black men and Black women are disconnected from each other? Black People Open Forum 6
OldSoul Black People : Black Women Too Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Relationships : R. Kelly’s Victims Ignored for 30 Years, Everything to Do With the Fact That They are Black Women Black Relationships 32
Clyde C Coger Jr Single Black Mothers : The Quiet Crisis Killing Black Women Black Women 8