Law Forum : officer-van-dyke-intentionally-broke-dashcam-before-laquan-mcdonald-shooting

jamesfrmphilly

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Jun 18, 2004
north philly ghetto
Occupation
retired computer geek
http://thegrio.com/2016/01/28/repor...roke-dashcam-before-laquan-mcdonald-shooting/

The Chicago officer who killed Laquan McDonald never synced his microphone to his dashcam and even intentionally damaged the camera, according to police maintenance logs. What’s worse: He’s not the only officer to do so.

Over 1800 logs first obtained by DNAinfo Chicago show that officers regularly damage their cameras or find ways to keep the sound from syncing. Their methods include hiding microphones in glove boxes, pulling out the batteries, damaging antennae, and so on.

The logs showed that Jason Van Dyke, the officer involved in the Laquan McDonald shooting, caused “intentional damage” to his dashcam at least once, though the logs indicate that the dashcam was broken multiple times. On the day of the shooting, the audio for the video was not picked up by his car or the one next to his.

One month after the shooting, a Nov. 21 review of 10 videos downloaded from Van Dyke’s squad car determined it was “apparent … that personnel have failed to sync the MICs [sic],” according police records.

Of the five police vehicles that were present the night of the shooting, only two had dashcams that actually recorded video, and one of those was reportedly broken. Records show that, five days before the shooting, a request was put in to repair the dashcam, though “no problem” was found with the equipment when it was examined October 31.

One week later, the system was reportedly broken again, with a “hardware issue” remaining unaddressed for four months. Three additional dashcams were unable to capture footage the night of the shooting, due to system malfunctions that inclue: “Power issue,” “disc error” and “application error.”

It was not until McDonald was shot and killed by Officer Jason Van Dyke that Chicago PD recognized the widespread issue of officers intentionally tampering with dashcams and dashcam microphones.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Lawmakers introduce bill to honor officer who led Capitol rioters away from Senate Black People Doing Positive Things 1
HODEE Black People : The Officer Knew George Floyd both worked security at the same club. Black People Open Forum 0
S Black People : Minneapolis Riots. AutoZone Windows Smashed by Police Officer. Black People Open Forum 5
Fine1952 Black People : Officer fatally shoots black woman in Bay Town, Texas Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : Nashville PD retaliated against Black female officer for reporting sexual assault, lawsuit alleges Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : texas-officer-strikes-teen-girl Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : officer-will plead-guilty-in fleeing-black-motorists-death Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : officer-fatally-shoots-15-yr old Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 9
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : officer-charged-in philando-castile-death Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : officer-caught-stealing-cash-from-suspect-on-his-own-bodycam Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
Chevron Dove Black People : A white officer said she was shot by a black man. Then her story started to unravel. Black People Open Forum 2
Liberty Law Forum : VIDEO SHOWS HOUSTON OFFICER ATTACK WOMAN At Traffic Stop Who Called 911 Because She Feared Him Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 3
Clyde C Coger Jr The Police : Video: Texas officer says blacks have 'violent tendencies' Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 19
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : school-officer-fired-after-video-showed-him-body-slamming-a-12-year-old-girl Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : nyc-officer-convicted-of-manslaughter-in-stairwell-shooting Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
Liberty Law Forum : Los Angeles Officer Will Not Face Charges For Beating Mentally Ill Woman Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : officer charged with three felonies in Dent arrest... Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
RAPTOR The Police : Watch: SC Police Officer Charged With Murder After Shooting Black Man in the Back Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Rudy Giuliani: Ferguson Police Officer Darren Wilson Should Be 'Commended' For Shooting Michael Brow Black People Politics 4
CosmicMessenger The Police : Officer Darren Wilson identified as shooter in Ferguson teen killing Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 10
RAPTOR Black People : Michael Brown shooting riots: Former police officer explains what cops did wrong w/ Boyce Watkins Black People Open Forum 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Officer in fatal NY arrest stripped of gun, badge Black People Open Forum 10
shaka64 Black People : 'I want the truth to come out': Black female firearms officer in elite police unit claims her career Black People Open Forum 2
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : Grand jury indicts police officer in shooting of ex-FAMU player Jonathan Ferrell Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
RAPTOR Black People : Jury Decides Not To Indict Randall Kerrick, Officer Who Fatally Shot Jonathan Ferrell Black People Open Forum 3
S Black People : If your kid's school needs a uniformed police officer roaming the halls, you need to pull your kid. Black People Open Forum 0
Destee Law Forum : NYPD Commanding Officer Heard Ordering Cops To Stop-And-Frisk Black Men Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Keita Kenyatta Black People Politics : Secret Service investigating alleged threat by D.C. police officer against Michelle Obama Black People Politics 3
A Black People : Great Video! Man rescues his child from 3 police officer Black People Open Forum 10
S Black People : Retired Police Officer Reflects On The Injustices of the War On Drugs Black People Open Forum 0
Istari Black People : Charal "Rah Rah" Thomas Shot 12 times in front of his babies by a FW Police Officer! Black People Open Forum 23
MsInterpret Black People : Punched Seattle teen apologizes to police officer Black People Open Forum 40
hartwell Black People : NYPD Officer claims pressure to make arrests Black People Open Forum 4
G Black People : A fast food worker was arrested for serving a salty hamburger to a police officer. Black People Open Forum 4
D Black People : Got a problem officer, check with him before you check me Black People Open Forum 0
D Black People : "you police officer are always shi**ing people" Black People Open Forum 2
D Black People : Black police officer made to pay for his own "stolen" gun Black People Open Forum 0
T Black Poetry : Officer White Story Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
Senegal Black People : Am I Being Too Hard on Van Jones? Black People Open Forum 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Sports : WAYDE VAN NIEKERK: I’M CHASING USAIN BOLT’S OLYMPIC RECORDS Black Sports 5
Liberty African American History Culture : Dr. John Henrik Clarke, Dr. Ivan Van Sertima, Dr. Yosef Ben Jochannan on Gil Noble African American History Culture 0
RAPTOR African American History Culture : Dr Ivan Van Sertima - Black Woman In Antiquity African American History Culture 0
candeesweet Audio Video Web Conferencing : DR. IVAN VAN SERTIMA: The Ancient High Science - The Golden Age Of The Moor! Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
S Black People : STORY OF A 3 DAY PASS.. a film by Melvin Van Peebles (1968) Black People Open Forum 0
S Black People : Gil Noble interview with Dr. Ivan Van Sertima, Dr. Ben & Dr. John Henrik Clarke Black People Open Forum 1
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Like It Is with Gil Noble (Dr. Ivan Van Sertima, Dr. Ben & Dr. John Henrik Clarke) Part 1 Black People Open Forum 1
RAPTOR Black People : Ivan Van Sertima: "Reply to My Critics" Black People Open Forum 6
S Pan Africanism : The Black Woman In Antiquity - Dr Ivan Van Sertima African American History Culture 13
S Africa : Masterful Lecture on the importance of African History by Dr. Ivan Van Sertima.. All Things Africa 58
RAPTOR Black People : Ivan Van Sertima Civilizations before Greece and Rome Black People Open Forum 1