Black Women : Obesity increases among black girls

MsInterpret

Apr 21, 2007
Washington
Obesity Rates Fall for White Girls, Not for Blacks, Indians in U.S. Study
By Arielle Fridson - Aug 15, 2010 9:01 PM PT

Obesity increased among black and American Indian girls in California even while declining for non-Hispanic whites, signaling flaws in U.S. programs aimed at combating fatness, researchers said.

The rate of obesity rose to 22 percent in 2008 for black girls, from 20 percent seven years earlier, while climbing for American Indian girls to 23 percent from 15 percent, according to a study published today in the journal Pediatrics. Those numbers moved up even after 2005, when the rate for non- Hispanic white girls fell by 0.6 percentage point, to 10 percent, the scientists said.

The finding suggests there will be greater disparities among racial and ethnic groups over time, and that anti-obesity programs must be tailored to high-risk populations, said researchers led by Kristine A. Madsen, an assistant professor of pediatrics at the University of California, San Francisco.

?Our study is a call to action,? Madsen said in a telephone interview Aug. 12. ?We?re the first ones to show that the policies that we?re putting in place to decrease obesity are not decreasing disparities. That?s scary.? Programs should target low-income communities specifically, since that is where obesity is increasing, she said.

READ MORE: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-...irls-not-for-blacks-indians-in-u-s-study.html

blackeyes

May 14, 2003
South,Ga
wow, that's really sad.
I wonder what programs they'll come up w/ to target black, indian and hispanic girls?

skuderjaymes

Contextualizer Synthesizer
Nov 2, 2009
theory to application to discussion to percussion
Occupation
independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
Obesity Rates Fall for White Girls, Not for Blacks, Indians in U.S. Study
By Arielle Fridson - Aug 15, 2010 9:01 PM PT

Obesity increased among black and American Indian girls in California even while declining for non-Hispanic whites, signaling flaws in U.S. programs aimed at combating fatness, researchers said.

The rate of obesity rose to 22 percent in 2008 for black girls, from 20 percent seven years earlier, while climbing for American Indian girls to 23 percent from 15 percent, according to a study published today in the journal Pediatrics. Those numbers moved up even after 2005, when the rate for non- Hispanic white girls fell by 0.6 percentage point, to 10 percent, the scientists said.

The finding suggests there will be greater disparities among racial and ethnic groups over time, and that anti-obesity programs must be tailored to high-risk populations, said researchers led by Kristine A. Madsen, an assistant professor of pediatrics at the University of California, San Francisco.

“Our study is a call to action,” Madsen said in a telephone interview Aug. 12. “We’re the first ones to show that the policies that we’re putting in place to decrease obesity are not decreasing disparities. That’s scary.” Programs should target low-income communities specifically, since that is where obesity is increasing, she said.

READ MORE: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-...irls-not-for-blacks-indians-in-u-s-study.html

what about the rates for bulimia and anorexia.. "thick" is desired in black
communities.. "skinny" is desired in white communites.. I willing to bet that
white communities have higher rates of bulimia and anorexia.. what all of that
says to me is that many women place their looks above their health.​

Nameless

Banned
Aug 26, 2010
obesity and anorexia are concepts of the same illness of mind

usage of your brain is a ratio of brain weight to body weight

when my brain processes information quickly i appear "skinney" because i am using different regions of my brain

when my brain processes information slowly i gain weight because i am not using my brain to weight capacities totally

neither is more "desirable" in the "black community" because I find that I am usually the physical opposite of what some "claim" to love and like, and they usually say it's just something about you-

when the concepts are made manifest first and look upon as lust, imbalance an sickness arises

stroking a man's ego has nothing to do with how you look physically, it's more about how you can make him "feel" about himself, and that is based on how you feel about yourself

the intent is to make you feel a certain way, and keep you desperate in you being

therefore, you live in a tomb or a temple

the body does not truly exist only the consciousness within it

why not make young girls fat and make them feel inferior

why not make skinney girls skinney and make them feel superior

although one obsession is food and the other is lack of- what kind of balance is this-

Full Speed

Sep 7, 2009
Thick = good

Fat/obese = bad

Slender = good

Skinny = bad

Any questions?

Oh, and fine = very good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Kemetstry Health and Wellness : CHILDHOOD OBESITY TIED TO CANCER Black Health and Wellness 1
Alarm Clock Black People : Food Fix: US corporations fuel obesity with addictive ingredients Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Fat and getting fatter: U.S. obesity rates to soar by 2030 Black Health and Wellness 33
macoo Health and Wellness : Obesity Black Health and Wellness 2
Destee Black Weight Loss : Dr Afrika's Weight Loss and Obesity Black Health and Wellness 0
Isaiah Black Women : OBESITY AND AFRICAN WOMEN... THE FACTS... Black Women 22
A U.S. Health Improvements Slowing - Alarm at High Infant Mortality Rates and Obesity Black Health and Wellness 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Black Americans 'Whitewashed' from Opioid Epidemic Despite Increases in Drug Deaths, Report Finds Black Health and Wellness 1
river Health and Wellness : Music Increases Serotonin Black Health and Wellness 0
D Pan Africanism : Being Black In America Increases Mental Health Risks For Caribbean Black People African American History Culture 0
T Black People : African-American Teen Unemployment Increases to Almost 7 Times National Rate Why?? Black People Open Forum 4
Kemetstry Black People : AMONG YOUTHS, HISPANICS AND NONWHITES ARE NOW MAJORITY Black People Open Forum 3
skuderjaymes Health and Wellness : Corona Virus more prevalent among African Americans? Really? Black Health and Wellness 7
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Atlantic slavery left its mark not just in wealthy city centres, but among the rural poor too African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Trump warns of 'bad people' among Bahamas hurricane survivors Black People Open Forum 7
Perfection Black Women : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀ Exploring the Stress-Support-Distress Process Among Black Women Black Women 0
Perfection Black People Politics : ↢Omnipresent ₳fricans Research↣ Belief and Identity among African Indians of Karnataka, South India Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Pastor John Gray among black ministers receive backlash for meeting with Trump on prison reform Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Marquis Davis Black People Politics : An Agent among the Congregation Black People Politics 8
Liberty Health and Wellness : Research connects discrimination, thoughts of death among African-Americans Black Health and Wellness 2
HODEE Black Children : Teen birthrate hits all-time low, led by 50 percent decline among Hispanics and Blacks Black Children 2
chuck Black People Politics : In Pursuit Of True Unity Among Black People In The United States: Black People Politics 0
Liberty Black People Politics : On Hillary Clinton's Overwhelming Support Among African Americans Black People Politics 159
Liberty Black Positive People : Three African Americans Among the Top 10 Most Influential Scholars in Education Black People Doing Positive Things 0
IFE Black Positive People : Black Youth Among The World’s 50 Smartest Teenagers Black People Doing Positive Things 4
TruthHitman African American History Culture : Government target memorandum of March 4, 1968 to “Prevent the Rise of a Messiah” among Black People African American History Culture 1
chuck Black People : Another Reason Brother Ali Is 'The Greatest' Among Us All! Black People Open Forum 1
chuck Black People : The New Divide: Among And Between Blacks Too! Black People Open Forum 7
jamesfrmphilly Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : slumping sales of hair relaxers among African-American women Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 29
chuck Black People : Confronting anti-black racism among Latinos - Us Vs Them? Black People Open Forum 33
jamesfrmphilly Black People : stop the warfare among black people..... Black People Open Forum 152
cherryblossom Black Entertainment : Film: The Least Among You Black Entertainment 3
RAPTOR Black People : Mandela death prompts soul-searching among 'coloureds' in racial limbo Black People Open Forum 2
Yuri Black People : Possible solution to the high dropout rates among black boys Black People Open Forum 19
Alarm Clock Black People : Trayvon Martin’s Unpunished Shooting Death Among 100+ Extrajudicial Killings of Unarmed Blacks Black People Open Forum 0
Alarm Clock Zimbabwe : Zimbabwe election; Mugabe plays it cool, sit back and let opposition fight among each other! Zimbabwe 2
Lakeesha T Black People : Differences in Crime Rates among Racial Groups Black People Open Forum 119
K Black Relationships : Survey on Close Relationships among Blacks Black Relationships 10
bobbie Black Entertainment : Josephine Baker- could call her ugly names among other things Black Entertainment 6
Keita Kenyatta Black People : AP IMPACT: Suicides are surging among US troops Black People Open Forum 0
river Black People : Similarities Between Racism and Disabilitism Among Deaf People Black People Open Forum 0
Corvo Pan Africanism : Ancestral Masquerade Performances among the Yoruba African American History Culture 0
abdurratln Black Spirituality Religion : Cults and False Religion among Africans Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 230
Clyde C Coger Jr Sleep patterns differ among ethnic groups: Poll Black Health and Wellness 12
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : Who Are The Real Terrorists Among Black People? Chief Elder Osiris 5
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : Why In Hell Is There No Desire For Justice Among Black People ? Chief Elder Osiris 4
Metaverse Black People : GODS AMONG INSECTS. Black People Open Forum 3
nevar Black Poetry : Choas among us!!!!!! part two of Sucidal I am... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : WHO AMONG US DESPISE YOUR YOUR BLACKNESS, THE SEED OF YOUR SOUL. Chief Elder Osiris 0
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : THE FAKERS THAT ARE AMONG US TODAY Chief Elder Osiris 0