Black Relationships : Not interested in "Good" relationships...

ZeroGravity

Jul 12, 2002
Atlanta
Occupation
System Administrator
I was listening to talk-show host on my way home and she was saying what she wanted to talk about on her show on Thursday.

Thursday, we're going to talk about relationships...not the good ones but the bad relationships out there. Who wants to hear about good relationships anyway? How much fun would that be?

Then she reference an article either in Ebony or Essence that apparently talks about relationships with drama, that is the kind of relationship she wanted to talk about.

Why is it that we don't want to talk about "good" relationships? Is talking about "good" relationships (other than your own :) boring? Does listening to others talk about "good" things make us feel somewhat inadequate in our own relationship? Would you want to know what other people are doing to create those "good" relationships to perhaps help or inspire us in dealing with our own?

Would you be bored stiff if you were in a discussion talking about "good" relationships? Would you think the ones talking about their "good" relationship was bragging or being a little condesending? or would you look at them as being genuine?

What do you think?

Enthralled

Apr 17, 2003
Hi Zero,

I think that it is just human nature to focus on the bizzare and the bad news. Almost any message board you visit in cyberspace will have a gazillion posts about some silly drama. But there will be many fewer posts about more uplifting things.

Notice the number of posts about interracial dating or Do (insert race here) men hate women?

Several years ago some network (CNN I believe, but I could be wrong) attempted to have a "good news" telecast.
HAH! How long do you think that lasted?:lol: :lol:

ZeroGravity

Jul 12, 2002
Atlanta
Occupation
System Administrator
Enthralled...I hear ya! If you want to know about finances...you wouldn't talk about the experiences of a street peddler; so I'm thinking if you want to know about relationships, you wouldn't want to talk about the "bad" ones...I would think you would want to hear from those that have found a way to make them successful. Maybe that's why I haven't gotten it right yet :)

I appreciate you responding.

Nia Maishani

Nov 22, 2001
Displaced at the Junction of Hoosiers and Bluegras
Occupation
Business Owner
My two cents...

I think some folk want to discuss "bad" relationships because they sincerely wish to arrive at and examine the root of the problems that cause relationships to sour. If we can get at and examine root causes of relationship problems, perhaps we can THEN overstand how to make and keep our relationship "good" or better. Most of us seek improvement, even if we are at a point where everything is really rather well.

On the other hand, there are those who really are entertained by hearing about and/or discussing OTHERS' "bad" relations (perhaps to make their own or lack thereof seem more tolerable), or if they have a habit of discussing their own problems in a relationship, perhaps the motive is a desire for help or consolation.

Personally, at times when I WAS in what seemed a "good" relationship, I enjoyed sharing details of those experiences with my closest sisterfriend. Not an attempt to boast or be condescending, but I think it is natural to want to let others know (even the world, if it is REALLY serious) when you are elated in your union.

That's my opinion.

ZeroGravity

Jul 12, 2002
Atlanta
Occupation
System Administrator
Nia...great comments :)

Being that this lady was a talk-show host, I understand (to a degree) why she would focus on the "bad" relationships as a topic of discussion...more audience participation and probably more entertaining. Personally, I would like to know how couples are making their relationships successful (I'm always hearing or reading about the "bad" ones), something that somewhat appears to be rare in the makeup of society today.

I have some insight on "bad" relationships lol ... I want to gain a difference perspective on sharing a "good" one.

Thanks for responding...very insightful

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Black People : Are There Any Black Afrikans Interested In Freedom? Black People Open Forum 0
N Nation of Gods and Earths : New member interested in NGE teachings Nation of Gods and Earths Study Group 7
Quokka007 Black Relationships : How can you tell a guy is just interested in just sex and not a relationship? Black Relationships 13
Al D Black Money Business Jobs : Interested in Entrepreneurship Black Money Business Jobs 0
Apollyon Black People : Is There Anyone Interested In True Ethnohistory? Black People Open Forum 1
Destee Destee Network : Are you interested in owning your own web site? Have you ever thought about it? Destee Network : 28
MsInterpret Black Relationships : Ladies: What are your "not interested" signs? Black Relationships 10
Destee Black People : This Community is More Interested in Your Words Than the Words of Others Black People Open Forum 40
Shikamaru Black Money Business Jobs : Who would be interested in a financial literacy study group here at Destee? Black Money Business Jobs 29
Ankhur Black People : Washington Interested now in Burma..pardon, Myanmar? Ask Frank Lucas why!!! Black People Open Forum 1
P Metu Neter - Vols I - II - III : Interested in Metu Neter. Metu Neter - Vols I - II - III Study Group 2
gogounited Black People : For any other nerds interested in polar shift and metaphysical stuff it involves... Black People Open Forum 4
T Black People : Are white people interested in knowing about us? Black People Open Forum 2
river Black People : Destee Would You Be Interested? Black People Open Forum 7
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : Some people are not interested in spiritual knowledge! Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 10
T Black People : For those interested and able Black People Open Forum 9
D Metu Neter - Vols I - II - III : For those interested. Lunar cycles for TOLM. Metu Neter - Vols I - II - III Study Group 1
river Black People : Fambly, Would You Be Interested..;. Black People Open Forum 6
PoeticManifesta Black People : Reunion: $$$ how much?? And what type of facility are you interested in staying? Black People Open Forum 24
K Black Authors : I'm Interested! Short Stories - Authors - Writing 7
C Black Authors : Recording-producing- anyone interested? Short Stories - Authors - Writing 2
Desert Storm Destee Network : Interested in Saving Money?/ Interested in Making Money? Destee Network : 0
blakverb Black Poetry : To all the interested Poets (To anthology poets) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
A Black Poetry : Relationships Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Hypersonic Black Relationships : Frustrated w/Black Relationships Black Relationships 11
Liberty Black Relationships : #1 Reason Women Pull Away From Relationships Black Relationships 19
Liberty Black Relationships : #1 Reason Men Pull Away From Relationships Black Relationships 120
Liberty Black Relationships : Dave Chappelle on Male-Female Relationships Black Relationships 0
Liberty Black Women : Straight From His Mouth: Why Do Women Settle For Bad Sex In Relationships? Black Women 18
ru2religious Black People : Media pushing white men and black women relationships Black People Open Forum 211
_NortheastGroover_ Black Relationships : Abusive Relationships Black Relationships 131
ProphetikGeneral Black Relationships : The Complex Style of Relationships-Tips for a Brotha Black Relationships 1
KaHotep Black Poetry : relationships Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
FINDLOVEINME_RETURNS Black Relationships : Women That Stay In ABUSIVE Relationships(WHY)? Black Relationships 19
Chevron Dove Chevron Dove : BLACK WOMEN--WHITE MEN Relationships . . . Chevron Dove 4
noor100 Black Muslims : Shahrazad Ali on Black Man and Woman Relationships Islam Study Group 5
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Dr. Umar Johnson - Interracial Relationships 3 AND 4 Black People Open Forum 9
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Dr. Umar Johnson - Interracial Relationships Pt.1 and 2 Black People Open Forum 1
K Black Relationships : Survey on Close Relationships among Blacks Black Relationships 10
kusi Black Relationships : Modern Marriage Has Failed Relationships! Pt.2 Black Relationships 0
kusi Black Relationships : Modern Marriage Has Failed Relationships! Black Relationships 10
RAPTOR Black Relationships : Dr. Amos Wilson: Black Male And Female Relationships Black Relationships 0
rapunzal24 Black Parenting : Relationships between parents and children. Black Parenting 10
RAPTOR Black People : Interracial Relationships (IR) And Black Liberation. Is there a conflict of interest? Black People Open Forum 137
B Black Relationships : No relationships in 2011! Black Relationships 7
L Black People : Why have I been avoiding relationships? Black People Open Forum 6
Destee Black Relationships : Sisters Want Someone To Blame For Their Bad Relationships Black Relationships 176
B Black Relationships : ARE THE CHANGING ROLES OF BLACK WOMEN HURTING OUR RELATIONSHIPS ?? Black Relationships 71
Knowledge Seed Black People : Street Psychology: A Simple System for Improving Relationships in Everyday Life Black People Open Forum 2
mizjoice Black Poetry : [B]Level two: Relationships [/B] Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7