Black People : Not All Of Us Are Gonna Make It

chuck

REGISTERED MEMBER
Aug 9, 2003
Yeah. The 'disappeared' white teacher that would PUSH for excellence (like in the then *old days*). Truth is, I had 2 of them--one in the 8th grade in Az, and one in the 10th grade in Kali. Mrs. Johnson in algebra/geometry/pre-trig/pre-calc--her stuff covered ALL of those areas and she very politely took NO PRISONERS! EVER! It was 'great'. Just like the old days.

In Kali, it was my English teacher (I can't remember her name, but I remember her face, and I definitely remember the RANGE AND DIFFICULTY of the work she 'politely' demanded from me, and from us *cool, cool, fashion crazy afro-headed L.A. kids*...lol. I knew she meant only the best for me when she changed up what she taught me. She had the rest of the class do her regular stuff, but pulled me to the side after our first class of the spring semester. She handed Dostoyevski's Crime and Punishment to me, told me I was to read it, and that I had to produce a typed 10-15 page essay 'at any point' during spring semester! She told me I still had to keep up with her other stuff, but with some assignments she would require that I do more (more research or take a 2 pg assignment and turn it into a 4-5 pager--stuff like this. At first, I wasn't feeling all that, until she told me that she knew that my As had been coming too easily for me, and that she believed I could handle the extra work and still earn an A grade for her class. She MADE that English class a challenge--even a dare--and as much as I grumbled about it to my friends, truth was I was cool with taking on that challenge. I made sure that I earned my mid-term and final As.

But grief! Those two teachers were *rare*. Just plain rare. Each one somehow made the rest of them loser teachers stand out! Made me resent them (the indifferent teachers and the *out of touch* teachers).

From our youngest ones to the adults who ignore or deny the overt and subtle racism (or don't have the critical thinking skills developed so that they might identify what's really wrong)--to recognize what the roots are to such a developmental lack in them, then look to the impact of systematized *pedagogy* designed to dull or blunt possibilities.

Consider:

The gov't did two things with the Panthers...they destroyed them as a national organization, but KEPT the Panther's Head Start. TOOK IMMEDIATE CONTROL of Head Start. Invested serious BANK into Head Start. EXPANDED Head Start, nationwide. Has run Head Start for more than 40 plus years.

40 plus years.

Access to our kids starting at age 3 and up, beginning 40 plus years ago. THIS is what taking over Head Start meant to the FED. Those first 3 year olds that the FED had access to? They are now the *very ones* that are being looked at as *possibly way too lost to save*, aren't they? They are the 40 and 50 year olds amongst us, right? THEY ARE THE PARENTS, too, of those lost ones who are now in their 20s and 30s, yes?

Single parent households? Children with only one parent present? How many of those single parents TRUSTED that it was a *good thing* for them to enroll their youngins into Head Start? And why shouldn't they have done this?

Somehow and somewhere *in the lives of many millions of our people* since the 70s, things 'systematically' began to unwheel for us. Our collective LOVE of education--a STRENGTH in our communities, nationwide--has somehow morphed into what, 40 plus years later?

That *competitive drive* to get as much education as we can stand, as we can cobble together--where has that drive gone? Birthed in slavery, refined during the era of the Negro, WHAT CHANGED during the Black Power days that *our momentum* at producing 'marvels' should be slowed so abruptly?

What was systemically introduced into OUR institutions of education that could blunt/divert our children *under our parents' very noses*?

As a people, WE can turn things around, and that turn around requires *active learning*. MISSIONED effort from us, too. The so-called lost and the hardheads can be reached. WE have to discover *their language*, though. We need to become 'fluent' in their language.
In a real sense, we must discover the words (levers) that moves them, and then apply pressure to those levers to help them to regain a hold on their born ability *to see*.

We need them to teach us, too. They've learned stuff that, if WE learn what they have, it makes us better enabled *to see* the enemy's works 'up close'. Broadens all of our views of what we are ALL up against. What we are ALL up against. What we are ALL crippled by. But too, it'll leave some of us *dissatisfied* with covering up critical knowledge with the label, racism white supremacy. True.

Just falling back on that label as a catch-all leaves most of us with massive blind spots we CAN NO LONGER AFFORD. Leaves most of us unable to need to be specific (analytical). Leaves most of us IN BELIEF that we can not resolve what we HATE about our condition.

Too many of our people react to life events as if it would be foolish or stupid to expect better *from us*. Such pre-conditioned expectations comes from somewhere! Was BORN as a pre-conditioned expectation/reaction from somewhere!

Such negativism is ANTI-THETICAL to what our people were actually *successfully* building towards, up to the 70s! So IF we remember this, then WHY abandon this truth about us? Do we even DARE to forget what we can actually do? The *ability* may well be dormant, but is the ability non-existant? Since when?

Q: What were the changes *injected into our culture* that produced today's 40-50 year olds, who then produced our 20-30 year olds, who now are producing our youngest?

I think one crucial, disruptive, longterm change involved the taking over of Head Start. In terms of the OP? There are *millions* of folks who can indeed be saved, but they are pretty young right now.

They also happen to be our culture's future (and not just we, ourselves)--as they are ALL of them 21st century kids. How many will become casualties of abandonment, yet again?

One Love, and PEACE (and sorry for this very long post)

On point and on time!

Big props for the reality check/wake up call...

:toast:

Othervoice

REGISTERED MEMBER
Nov 11, 2013
For whatever reason, we seemed to have a slight disconnect on what is not being suggested (a national gathering), offered or proposed, in terms of using the Bandung conference as a model to study and galvanized our local grassroots infrastructure; nevertheless, the take away for me, is that you think the concept is couched in a good idea. This is certainly better than the first understanding I received from this:

Keep in mind however, different factions at the local level are the grassroots efforts or infrastructure already in place and working; they just are not identifying issues, solutions nor developing plans for action, as you say, and they need to connect. In other words, have a conference similar to Bandung, from my perspective.

If we can improve things at the grassroots first a national conference will be even more effective. If we can point to concrete results there is something to discuss and learn from each other at a conference. You cite Bandung as an effective example. I agree with you. However I think about The National Black Political Convention at Gary in 1972. I want the success of the former not the failure of the latter. Do you think we can get this ?

Clyde C Coger Jr

PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
If we can improve things at the grassroots first a national conference will be even more effective. If we can point to concrete results there is something to discuss and learn from each other at a conference. You cite Bandung as an effective example. I agree with you. However I think about The National Black Political Convention at Gary in 1972. I want the success of the former not the failure of the latter. Do you think we can get this ?

Speaking directly to the question, absolutely, yes, I honestly and optimistically think we can get this, Othervoice; we have no other choice.

Moreover, and as you point out, the failures of Gary in 1972, as well as, the failures of Bandung, should be studied, evaluated and not repeated, for sure.

This concept of coming together and reaching consensus based resolutions, among 29 countries, can easily be adopted by a national conference of grassroots, effectively. More importantly and moving forward, it would begin a long term solution toward the issues that affect black people, which can only be resolved when we see eye to eye, and without a focus on our differences; but what we can agree on as significant. So yes, we should begin to have this conversation within our ranks, or pockets of unity.

Perhaps you missed my first post to this Thread(below), let me encourage you to click and review the link offered there; so that you can reach a better understanding of our efforts to achieve the principle about which you and I have been discussing, which is to say, improving things at the grassroots level:

http://destee.com/index.php?threads/not-all-of-us-are-gonna-make-it.78518/#post-844315

Latest profile posts

"Life is the greatest journey you will ever be on..."
Destee wrote on Jahari Kavi's profile.
Hi Brother @Jahari Kavi ... Welcome Home! Good to see you! YAAAAAY Us! :love:
Destee wrote on Orisons's profile.
Hi Brother @Orisons ... good to see you in the house, stay safe always please :heart:
Destee wrote on Ms Drea's profile.
Hi My Dear Darling Sister! :kiss: :love: :kiss:
Destee wrote on beautifulblkw's profile.
Hi Sister!!!! :wave: :wave: :wave: So good to see you! Thanks for coming home! YAAAAAY! :yaay: Much Love and Peace! :love: