Black People : NON-HBCU univ. graduates more Black than any HBCU

Knowledge Seed

Feb 22, 2008
Atlanta, GA
ATLANTA— Georgia State University continues to lead the nation in graduating minority students, now ranking No.1 in the nation among not-for-profit institutions in awarding bachelor’s degrees to African-American students according to Diverse: Issues in Higher Education.

With a 17 percent one-year increase, Georgia State outpaced all other non-profit colleges and universities in awarding bachelor degrees to African-American students in the magazine’s rankings of the “Top 100 Undergraduate Degree Producers.” GSU conferred 1,262 bachelor’s degrees to African-Americans in 2012, climbing past Florida A&M and North Carolina A&T State University.

Georgia State’s overall graduation rates continue to break records and earn national accolades, thanks to innovative programs for retention and progression. Overall, the university has raised its graduation rates by 29 percentage points in the last decade, and the numbers continue to climb.

“The latest rankings from Diverse: Issues in Higher Education again show that Georgia State is indeed a place where all students succeed,” said Georgia State University President Mark Becker. “We are extremely gratified to see our programs working and our students flourishing.”

More info here

Asomfwaa

Nov 16, 2011
Does something like this give credit to the argument that HBCUs are becoming obsolete?

How do you suppose that it would?

HBCUs represent an important lesson in history. One time in high school, a European student argued against the existence of HBCUs. I thought of his opinions, then remarked, those that aren't HBCUs are HWCU. And that's a lesson that we should not forget.

If HBCUs graduated only one student, they still ought remain. Once we forget how we were mistreated, we're in for the whole mess all over again! See African history from ancient times until now.

HTP

Each1teach1

Apr 9, 2008
the dirty dirty for now
Occupation
build up the nation
I think that there is alot to be discussed here. Being a product of an HBCU myself, I have observed the stripping of the hbcu culture, its "defunct" style of operation and how they repeatedly put money ahead of education all the while making worthless investments in expansion and upgrades, meanwhile their research centers and libraries are falling apart, under funded and dusty with few books printed in this century!!! Yes I have witnessed this first hand..Yet the football team which can barely qualify for the MEAC is considered for a new stadium...go figure...

Many HBCU's were started as land grant institutions by whites anyway, are funded by the state and are dictated to as to how they will operate. Even some so called private institutions the few esteemed such as Howard and Spellmen were started by whites and are still run by them. It was a Rockerfeller that started spellmen by the way...smh

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
How do you suppose that it would?

HBCUs represent an important lesson in history. One time in high school, a European student argued against the existence of HBCUs. I thought of his opinions, then remarked, those that aren't HBCUs are HWCU. And that's a lesson that we should not forget.

If HBCUs graduated only one student, they still ought remain. Once we forget how we were mistreated, we're in for the whole mess all over again! See African history from ancient times until now.

HTP

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... This comment along with Each1Teach1's makes this thread discussion relevant, in my opinion.

Peace In,

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mister Aten Black People : The power of "Non-Violence". Black People Open Forum 1
B Black Money Business Jobs : Cuddlist.com -Therapeutic non-sexual Cuddling Black Money Business Jobs 16
Fine1952 Black Entertainment : Selma --- Oprah's Non-Bioptics Movie about MLK, Jr. Black Entertainment 26
ManicRaider Black People : Has a non-black/non-white person ever shown compassion for a black person? Black People Open Forum 31
OldSoul OldSoul : The Great Pax Whitie (Knowledge for the non-white) OldSoul 0
I Black Spirituality Religion : Christians: How do you feel about non-believers? and what does the Bible...? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 19
I Black Relationships : Black women: how do you feel when you see a Black man romantically involved with a non-Black woman? Black Relationships 38
I Black Relationships : Black men: how do you feel when you see a Black woman romantically involved with a non-Black man? Black Relationships 25
C Black Spirituality Religion : Alexxys Tylor Endorsing Non-African Women Being Initiated Into Mamiwata Vodoun Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 6
SAMURAI36 Black Spirituality Religion : How Do Atheists Feel About Non-Abrahamic "Religions"? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 169
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Poetry : Mutual Benefits (Non-profit) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Fine1952 Black Spirituality Religion : Non-Truth Is Viral Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Kenya : Witness: Kenya mall attackers target non-Muslims Kenya 22
Asomfwaa African American History Culture : George Jackson's quotation on MLK Jr. and Non-Violence African American History Culture 33
Alarm Clock Black People : Will Non Violent Protests be categorized as "Civil Disturbances"??? Black People Open Forum 0
Destee Law Forum : If an American Citizen Marries a non Citizen - Will They Become a Citizen Too? Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 2
Alter2Ego Black Spirituality Religion : Non-Christians From Jesus Era Confirmed His Earthly Existence Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 6
Ankhur Support : Can community non political petitions be posted? Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 6
MsInterpret Support : Posting Comments on Non-Prem Profiles Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 3
Ankhur Black People : Black Important non Fiction/ Buy Buy Buy before it's bye bye bye! Black People Open Forum 3
MsInterpret Black People : Genetics Confirms - All Non-Africans Part Neanderthals Black People Open Forum 17
Amnat77 Black People : Harry Potter star beaten,and threatened with death for dating non-muslim Black People Open Forum 12
L Black People : Who are your non television heroes???? Black People Open Forum 14
MsInterpret Black Education / Schools : Should Non-blacks be allowed to attend Historically Black Colleges? Black Education / Schools 51
A Black People : Studies show that White are less likely to feel empathy both for Whites/non-Whites Black People Open Forum 30
Fine1952 Black Spirituality Religion : ??Non Descript?? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
MsInterpret Black Spirituality Religion : Black Atheists Say Non-Belief Mean Cultural Outsider Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 6
Destee Black People : Immigration Problems = Non White People Moving Black People Open Forum 15
M Black Spirituality Religion : Atheist, Non Religious - Spiritual Comfort? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 11
P Black People Politics : The New Post Barrack Obama Non-Racist America Black People Politics 10
H Black People Politics : Lightskinned Non Negroe Dialect: Harry Reid on Obama Black People Politics 33
Ankhur A non religious Organization of Black Nationalism Black Men 31
A Black People : White people who sleep with Non whites. Black People Open Forum 129
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : A Non-CONDEMNING CONSCIOUS IS A DEVIL WORKSHOP !!! Chief Elder Osiris 0
N Food Discussion : non cooked foods and you Food Discussion and Recipes 4
Metaverse Black People : NON RESIDENT ALIEN?? Black People Open Forum 0
G Black People : Naysayers and Non-Naysayers Black People Open Forum 2
T Black People : Racism Non~Anonymous: Mission and Purpose Black People Open Forum 0
T Black People : Racism Non~Anonymous: How it Works Black People Open Forum 0
emanuel goodman Black People : The reality of non duality Black People Open Forum 0
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : Divinity, The Non-Programmable Reality Of Immaterial Existence Chief Elder Osiris 2
Q Black Spirituality Religion : Non Christian...But You Celebrate Christmas.... Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
c-note Black People : So it's OK for non-blacks to say N***a now? Black People Open Forum 15
HODEE Black People : Torture Bill States Non-Allegiance To Bush Is Terrorism Black People Open Forum 0
T Black People : NUD "Non Urban Dictates" Black People Open Forum 0
Therious Pan Africanism : are non blacks the majority in any country? African American History Culture 4
Sekhemu Black Spirituality Religion : Codes and Conduct of Priest/Priestess and non-priest in the Oracle of Ifa community Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
K Black People : Whites Accept Non-Blacks Black People Open Forum 4
I Black People : Top FIFTEEN white Crimes Blamed on Blacks (& non-whites) Black People Open Forum 43
R Black Poetry : VISUAL AND NON-VISUAL DIARIES Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3