Nigeria : Nigerian's war against corruption

panafrica

Well-Known Member
MEMBER
Aug 24, 2002
10,227
191
The Diaspora
Nigeria has acquired a terrible worldwide reputation for corruption and financial crimes, including 419 scams. The BBC's Yusuf Mohammed profiles the man tasked with fighting the fraudsters.
When Nuhu Ribadu was appointed to run the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, which was set up three years ago, he memorably told a reporter that his ambition was to bring the rich and the powerful to justice.

But during that time, he has discovered just what a difficult job he has.

Despite his successes, Nigeria remains ranked as the world's third most corrupt county by Transparency International, much to the annoyance of President Olusegun Obasanjo, who placed the war against corruption at the heart of his administration. The 45-year-old policeman maintains that the battle against money-laundering and other forms of financial crimes is winnable, even in Nigeria. Obasanjo has talked tough on corruption since 1999. But he stresses that it is vital that the judiciary, and Nigerians as a whole, need to accept how damaging financial crime is to the country.
He compares his battle to that the Americans are waging against terrorism.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4387477.stm

HODEE

Well-Known Member
MEMBER
Jul 2, 2003
5,095
709
( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
Occupation
(RF) Technician
Thanks for the post.

I looked up more on the Transparency International. I hadn't heard of them. I see they are making claims against Europe and others that still play the game in ways that are corrupt and unproductive.

Here a few current and recent events that have taken place that involve Transparancy International.

http://news.ask.com/news?q="Transparency+International"&qsrc=8&o=0
============
http://www.reuters.co.za/locales/c_newsArticle.jsp?type=topNews&localeKey=en_ZA&storyID=8011143

Hypocrisy charge dogs Blair rescue plan for Africa

Mon March 28, 2005 10:59 AM GMT+02:00
By Matthew Green

NAIROBI (Reuters) - A trail of looted diamonds, greased palms and suspect arms deals suggests Britain is betraying its calls for action by other rich nations to stop shady corporate dealing in Africa, activists say.

British Prime Minister Tony Blair launched a detailed plan devised by his Africa Commission this month to reverse the continent's descent into poverty, including measures to ensure foreign firms do not profit from war and corruption.

But critics say Britain has failed to meet previous commitments to clamp down on activities from bribery abroad to dubious deals in African conflict zones, casting it as laggard rather than leader in enforcing corporate responsibility.

"It's a big contradiction," said Laurence Cockcroft, chairman of Transparency International's British chapter. "The government is seriously deficient in meeting the strategy and targets identified in the commission's report."

==============

Then there are charges made against this organization too. The war is within and outside of this organization. Dirty hands .. ( unclean hands ) dirty hands who now has dirty hands?

================
http://allafrica.com/stories/200503240919.html

MP Calls for the Arrest of Transparency Boss

The Nation (Nairobi)
March 25, 2005
Posted to the web March 24, 2005

Odhiambo Orlale
Nairobi

Debate on corruption in the Government intensified with an MP demanding that Transparency International Kenya chapter executive director Gladwell Otieno be arrested and charged in court for accusing an unnamed a minister of stashing away Sh750 million abroad.

Mr Daniel Khamasi (Shinyalu, Narc) demanded that she either substantiated her claims or be arrested and charged in court with giving false information.

Contributing to the presidential address, the Shinyalu MP was surprised that one week after she made the claims through the press, she was still walking freely.

"The Government is not doing enough in the fight against corruption, though we have too many watchdog organisations to fight the vice," he said.

"The TI lady last week accused a minister of stashing away Sh750

fanyamambo

Well-Known Member
MEMBER
Aug 19, 2004
173
1
How to measure? Even why?

If I'm not wrong Transparency International bases it's list on public opinion. Not on actual number of corruption cases etc. It would be virtually impossible to count the number of corruption incidences anyway. Corruption is so intricately woven within the society really it's impossible to tell.

Having said that...why are we ranked (perhaps I speak with more fervour since Kenya is reportedly hot on Nigeria's heels)? Transparency international should expose cases and individuals involved instead of releasing periodical sensationalist lists. It gets us nowhere. A lot of people are working genuinely towards fighting corruption in Africa...TI should not pour cold water on such efforts but inform and encourage them.

panafrica

Well-Known Member
MEMBER
Aug 24, 2002
10,227
191
The Diaspora
fanyamambo said:
Having said that...why are we ranked (perhaps I speak with more fervour since Kenya is reportedly hot on Nigeria's heels)? Transparency international should expose cases and individuals involved instead of releasing periodical sensationalist lists. It gets us nowhere. A lot of people are working genuinely towards fighting corruption in Africa...TI should not pour cold water on such efforts but inform and encourage them.
I would assume that Kenya isn't ranked because Nigeria's corruption reaches beyond its borders. Nigerians have a reputation for fraud & corruption worldwide. In America they are famous for email & banking scams. They are notorious for similar scams in Europe. Even the Africans I know caution people about doing business with Nigerians, They have unfortunately earned a reputation for not being trustworthy. That does need to be addressed.

militant

Well-Known Member
MEMBER
Jun 21, 2005
335
3
panafrica said:
I would assume that Kenya isn't ranked because Nigeria's corruption reaches beyond its borders. Nigerians have a reputation for fraud & corruption worldwide. In America they are famous for email & banking scams. They are notorious for similar scams in Europe. Even the Africans I know caution people about doing business with Nigerians, They have unfortunately earned a reputation for not being trustworthy. That does need to be addressed.
Oh yeah? And their reputation for being the most eduated black nation in the world? educate yourself brother, and stop the hate. this same mantra was repeated by indya in a later thread

panafrica

Well-Known Member
MEMBER
Aug 24, 2002
10,227
191
The Diaspora
militant said:
Oh yeah? And their reputation for being the most eduated black nation in the world? educate yourself brother, and stop the hate. this same mantra was repeated by indya in a later thread
I'm not responsible for what Indya repeats. She was not/is not my motivation for the threads I create. Are you saying that Nigeria doesn't have a problem with corruption? If so, that belief would be disputed by many, including Nigeria's President! Nigerians are usually highly educated, which is a great achievement. However what does high educational attainment matter, if widespread corruption prevents the country from taking for advantage of their ability?

militant

Well-Known Member
MEMBER
Jun 21, 2005
335
3
panafrica said:
I'm not responsible for what Indya repeats. She was not/is not my motivation for the threads I create. Are you saying that Nigeria doesn't have a problem with corruption? If so, that belief would be disputed by many, including Nigeria's President! Nigerians are usually highly educated, which is a great achievement. However what does high educational attainment matter, if widespread corruption prevents the country from taking for advantage of their ability?
Absolutely. I am the first to admit that Nigeria is a very corrupt nation. Even with the efforts of the president, there are some elements in the country especially past dictators who do not see it in their interest, that Nigeria should be transparent. The image of nigeria is continually tarnished by corrupt elements. It is inexcusable, and both Nigerians and africans(both continental and diaspora) have a right to call a fellow african nation to order. But here is my take. Many of us do not know that a concept of Pan-africanism is a very complex one. Africans come here and demand solidarity and oneness with African amerians, but their resentment to other african nations gets to a point where they actively defame another african nation by mere word of mouth. Since when did these "african brothers" become business advisors for other countries such as Nigeria? My brother, I am speaking out of experience, being disappointed by my fellow africans. All I can say is that I have come to discover that the concept of Pan-Africansim is more complex than what we make it to be. It is riddled with mines of african resentment towards each other because inferiority complex. Some countries feel they are too small, the only thing identifying them is a point on the map of Africa and regular appearance on CNN international diseased africa news bulletin. Its a long story on why i think we have a long way to go for Pan-Africanism, and if I begin to tell why i think so, you will all be shocked.
To drive my point home on the complexity of pan-Africanism , try to get a copy of the minutes of the African Development Bank meeting where a new chairman was to be elected. It became apparent that:
1) There was a tussle between the choice of european shareholders and african share holders
2) The european share holders forwarded a stooge from Rwanda(nothing against Rwanda, stooges are in every african country) as a candidate to head the bank, because they felt the african shareholder's candidate was "too indepenent, pro-african and not really in their interests'...those were their exact words. The current standing is the african candidate 42% and the european stooge 40%, 50% plus one needed to win. They have suspended all voting till end of July.
3) They have began canvassing support for this candidate including a promise of debt relief for countries who vote for this stooge candidate. Interestingly, "debt relief" was promised to some strategically chosen African nations recently.
We need to build true brotherhood.

Isaiah

Well-Known Member
MEMBER
Jun 8, 2004
3,210
63
panafrica said:
I'm not responsible for what Indya repeats. She was not/is not my motivation for the threads I create. Are you saying that Nigeria doesn't have a problem with corruption? If so, that belief would be disputed by many, including Nigeria's President! Nigerians are usually highly educated, which is a great achievement. However what does high educational attainment matter, if widespread corruption prevents the country from taking for advantage of their ability?
Pan, you're absolutely right about Nigeria... I have Nigerian friends whom I had the gall to argue with out of my romanticism about West Africa, who stood me up, and set me straight on this...

Brother Militant, I am glad that you did come to some consensus with Brother Pan's viewpoint in your last post... Brother, we understand many of the factors that bring out the worst in our people are not of their making... It is not always easy to tell the ENTIRE story in a few words...

Peace!
Isaiah
??

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

It's okay to admire otherz, but first, love self. ELEVATE your self-image by having a healthy love & respect for yourself. ✍
1619+400=2019 Jamestown Virginia...end of slavery. (Yes modern miseducation and injustices count as slavery) But no proper reparations will be given since the amount of contributions beyond humanity transcends generations. Our people have history that is equal to trillions of dollars including Melanin research and its supernatural power.
I want my people to be aware of this dilemma regarding the upcoming election... I know politics. Yes Trump is admitting the truth about Black People building this so called country corporation (The United States). But you must understand that what they're planning on doing is to divide and conquer. This is all just for him to get re-elected. He's going to promise reparations and reneg at the last minute.
Ifypedro334 wrote on Jasica Adam's profile.
The best gift to give a baby boy is ??
Lon
Trying to find my way around on this forum. It's not User Friendly
Top