Nigeria : Nigerian's war against corruption

panafrica

Well-Known Member
MEMBER
Aug 24, 2002
10,227
192
The Diaspora
Nigeria has acquired a terrible worldwide reputation for corruption and financial crimes, including 419 scams. The BBC's Yusuf Mohammed profiles the man tasked with fighting the fraudsters.
When Nuhu Ribadu was appointed to run the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, which was set up three years ago, he memorably told a reporter that his ambition was to bring the rich and the powerful to justice.

But during that time, he has discovered just what a difficult job he has.

Despite his successes, Nigeria remains ranked as the world's third most corrupt county by Transparency International, much to the annoyance of President Olusegun Obasanjo, who placed the war against corruption at the heart of his administration. The 45-year-old policeman maintains that the battle against money-laundering and other forms of financial crimes is winnable, even in Nigeria. Obasanjo has talked tough on corruption since 1999. But he stresses that it is vital that the judiciary, and Nigerians as a whole, need to accept how damaging financial crime is to the country.
He compares his battle to that the Americans are waging against terrorism.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4387477.stm

HODEE

Well-Known Member
MEMBER
Jul 2, 2003
5,197
739
( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
Occupation
(RF) Technician
Thanks for the post.

I looked up more on the Transparency International. I hadn't heard of them. I see they are making claims against Europe and others that still play the game in ways that are corrupt and unproductive.

Here a few current and recent events that have taken place that involve Transparancy International.

http://news.ask.com/news?q="Transparency+International"&qsrc=8&o=0
============
http://www.reuters.co.za/locales/c_newsArticle.jsp?type=topNews&localeKey=en_ZA&storyID=8011143

Hypocrisy charge dogs Blair rescue plan for Africa

Mon March 28, 2005 10:59 AM GMT+02:00
By Matthew Green

NAIROBI (Reuters) - A trail of looted diamonds, greased palms and suspect arms deals suggests Britain is betraying its calls for action by other rich nations to stop shady corporate dealing in Africa, activists say.

British Prime Minister Tony Blair launched a detailed plan devised by his Africa Commission this month to reverse the continent's descent into poverty, including measures to ensure foreign firms do not profit from war and corruption.

But critics say Britain has failed to meet previous commitments to clamp down on activities from bribery abroad to dubious deals in African conflict zones, casting it as laggard rather than leader in enforcing corporate responsibility.

"It's a big contradiction," said Laurence Cockcroft, chairman of Transparency International's British chapter. "The government is seriously deficient in meeting the strategy and targets identified in the commission's report."

==============

Then there are charges made against this organization too. The war is within and outside of this organization. Dirty hands .. ( unclean hands ) dirty hands who now has dirty hands?

================
http://allafrica.com/stories/200503240919.html

MP Calls for the Arrest of Transparency Boss

The Nation (Nairobi)
March 25, 2005
Posted to the web March 24, 2005

Odhiambo Orlale
Nairobi

Debate on corruption in the Government intensified with an MP demanding that Transparency International Kenya chapter executive director Gladwell Otieno be arrested and charged in court for accusing an unnamed a minister of stashing away Sh750 million abroad.

Mr Daniel Khamasi (Shinyalu, Narc) demanded that she either substantiated her claims or be arrested and charged in court with giving false information.

Contributing to the presidential address, the Shinyalu MP was surprised that one week after she made the claims through the press, she was still walking freely.

"The Government is not doing enough in the fight against corruption, though we have too many watchdog organisations to fight the vice," he said.

"The TI lady last week accused a minister of stashing away Sh750

fanyamambo

Well-Known Member
MEMBER
Aug 19, 2004
173
1
How to measure? Even why?

If I'm not wrong Transparency International bases it's list on public opinion. Not on actual number of corruption cases etc. It would be virtually impossible to count the number of corruption incidences anyway. Corruption is so intricately woven within the society really it's impossible to tell.

Having said that...why are we ranked (perhaps I speak with more fervour since Kenya is reportedly hot on Nigeria's heels)? Transparency international should expose cases and individuals involved instead of releasing periodical sensationalist lists. It gets us nowhere. A lot of people are working genuinely towards fighting corruption in Africa...TI should not pour cold water on such efforts but inform and encourage them.

panafrica

Well-Known Member
MEMBER
Aug 24, 2002
10,227
192
The Diaspora
fanyamambo said:
Having said that...why are we ranked (perhaps I speak with more fervour since Kenya is reportedly hot on Nigeria's heels)? Transparency international should expose cases and individuals involved instead of releasing periodical sensationalist lists. It gets us nowhere. A lot of people are working genuinely towards fighting corruption in Africa...TI should not pour cold water on such efforts but inform and encourage them.
I would assume that Kenya isn't ranked because Nigeria's corruption reaches beyond its borders. Nigerians have a reputation for fraud & corruption worldwide. In America they are famous for email & banking scams. They are notorious for similar scams in Europe. Even the Africans I know caution people about doing business with Nigerians, They have unfortunately earned a reputation for not being trustworthy. That does need to be addressed.

Destee Chat

Latest profile posts

Destee wrote on Joyce's profile.
Thanks for the Blessing! Love You! :kiss:
Making sure I do more than I did yesterday. Progress is the Concept.
Ms Drea wrote on yahsistah's profile.
Welcome Back Sister!!
Love and Blessings!!
Hey Sister Destee just logged in to say Love you and miss you much! Hope you are well.
Destee wrote on candeesweet's profile.
Hi Sweetie Pie Honey Bunch!!!! :love: ... it's good to see you! I hope you and yours are all well and staying safe. I Love You! :kiss:
Top