Nigeria : Nigerian e-mail frauds targeted

panafrica

Well-Known Member
MEMBER
Aug 24, 2002
10,227
191
The Diaspora
Microsoft and the government of Nigeria have joined forces to crack down on e-mail scams, many of which are known to originate from the African country. In the most common type of fraud, e-mail recipients are asked to pay a fee in return for a much larger sum of money - which they never receive.

The new agreement involves training and sharing information.

Nigeria's Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) is currently investigating hundreds of suspects.

Nuhu Ribadi, executive chairman of EFCC, welcomed the partnership.

"They (Microsoft) will help us with one of the difficult areas, particularly when it comes to technology, and we will do the physical work of enforcement," he told the BBC.

"We have worked with them for the last six months now, and as a result of the work we have done, we are now going to bring a couple of companies to justice. Some people are being prosecuted right now."

'Generous' reward

The Nigerian government is also considering making spamming a criminal offence punishable with jail terms of up to three years.

The EFCC says that many of the fraudsters have fled the country and are now based abroad, mainly in Spain and the Netherlands, making it more difficult for the Nigerian authorities to prosecute them.

In the most common e-mail scam, criminals send out millions of e-mails asking people to pay an advance fee or give their bank account details to help move large sums of money abroad.

In return, they are promised they will receive a share of it.

Mr Ribadi advises recipients of such scam letters not to reply, but to forward them to law enforcement authorities in their own country who, in their turn, will forward the messages to the EFCC.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4343926.stm

$$RICH$$

Lyon King Admin.
STAFF
Mar 21, 2001
69,986
3,963
Da~WINDY*CITY //CHICAGO
Occupation
BUSINESS owner
man that's deep but good they join to put an end to the fraud
and spamming .

panafrica

Well-Known Member
MEMBER
Aug 24, 2002
10,227
191
The Diaspora
SexualChocolate said:
I hate getting those e-mails. It's so obvious they can hardly speak English and are scammers.
I also hate getting the emails, but Nigerians speak English fine. Although there are over 250 languages in Nigerian, English is the official language.

militant

Well-Known Member
MEMBER
Jun 21, 2005
335
3
Its about time they tighten their hold on these crimes. The only problem I foresee is a shifting of the 419 base operations from Nigeria to neighboring Ghana, which is quite equiped in terms of IT, but in which a law against 419 might take a few years to pass. Infact, there has been reports of criminals streaming to Ghana in addition to homegrown Ghanian criminals.

SexualChocolate

Banned
MEMBER
Oct 18, 2005
15
0
panafrica said:
I also hate getting the emails, but Nigerians speak English fine. Although there are over 250 languages in Nigerian, English is the official language.
Oh I dont doubt that many of them do, but all of the emails I've recieved have had horrible grammar or words put in the wrong place.

dexxtreme

Active Member
MEMBER
May 29, 2005
32
0
"We have worked with them for the last six months now, and as a result of the work we have done, we are now going to bring a couple of companies to justice. Some people are being prosecuted right now."
Six months of investigations and they are just now going to court with two companies...

This is the same issue with spam/viruses/phishing sites that we have in the USA. It takes way too long to find and prosecute the people doing all of the illegal activities. So what they got 2 companies? There are probably 10 more that popped up this month to take their place. Just like spammers. We prosecute about one major spammer every month or two. That may sound okay, but there are dozens of new spam houses popping up every month (many individual spammers pop up daily), and anybody can just start up a spamming company by buying time on a botnet.

Also, the poor english is usually intentional. Spam filters have a hard time filtering out words that either aren't spelled correctly (e.g., Pyharmcy, Pmharmcy, Phagrmcy, Phiarmcy), or contain numbers or symbols in place of other letters (e.g., C1A1I5, \/|AGRA, PR0P3C1A). They don't really care as long as the overall message of the spam gets through.

PoeticManifesta

Well-Known Member
MEMBER
Mar 24, 2005
1,927
48
Virginia Beach,Va
Occupation
Local Insurance Agent
scam

Ive been getting those emails for years!

Look....
[THIS INFORMATION IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE PERSON OR ENTITY TO WHICH IT
IS
ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND / OR PREVILEDGED MATERIAL
AND
REVIEW. RETRANSMISSION, DISEMINATION, OR OTHER USE OF OR TAKING OF ANY
ACTIONS IN RELIANCE UPON THIS INFORMATION BY PERSONS OR ENTITIES OTHER
THAN THE INTENDED RECIPIENT IS PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED
THIS IN ERROR, PLEASE DELETE THE COPY. THANK YOU.

From: Wilson Arap Moi

Dear Sir,

Firstly, my apologies for this intrusion on your privacy. I am Wilson
Arap
Moi, the son of the former president of Kenya Mr. Daniel Arap Moi. I
came
to know you in the course of my search for a reliable person. I decided
contact you because I believe you are a reputable person that can help
me
and my mother over this confidential matter. I count on your integrity
and
honesty to be able to handle this Business. My father, Mr. Arap Moi,
was
the former president of Kenya, In East Africa,

During his reign as the president, he was involved in a lot of Monetary
deals with a lot of European companies within and outside my country.
These companies where used as a means of transferring funds gotten from
the sales of Gold and Diamonds to foreign accounts in Europe, America
and
Asia. Amongst the companies he registered was GOLDENBERG COMPANY, which
he
used as front for a deposit of US$76,000,000.00 (Seventy Six Million
American Hard Currency) to this company, which never existed. The
company
has since been declared bankrupt while the funds have been deposited
with
a security company in Europe where it is kept for safekeeping.

For more information you can visit these website:
(1) http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3338023.stm
(2)http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3025878.stm

I, being the only child of my mother who is the 2nd wife to my father
the
(ex-president), has been given all documentation about this transaction
as
settlement for my mother and myself. The money is kept in trunk boxes
and
was registered as precious substances, thus there is nobody that knows
that it is money that is in the box. All the documents with which the
money was deposited are in the custody of my mother. We are therefore
soliciting for your assistance as an honest and trustworthy person that
would be willing and capable to travel to Europe to receive the two
trunk
boxes of money on our behalf from the security company. For this noble
assistance we are willing to offer 20% of total amount to you.

Please indicate your willingness to assist us by responding positively
this message. We are expecting to hear from you. Please contact me only
through this confidential email address: [email protected]

Best Regards

Wilson Arap Moi
And another
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 01:16:57 +0200
From: [email protected] Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
Subject: Graves contact me for more details.
To: [email protected]

National Contract Payment Commission
NO.1221 Adeniyi Jones,PMB 8964,
Victoria Island,Lagos-Nigeria.
Mobile phone 234 8023137458

Dear Graves,

It is pertinent to note that this email will come to you as a surprise,
and I do apologise for any inconvenience that it might cause you. But
however,
I am SENATOR JAMES ABRAHAM.The(Chairman)SENATE COMMITTEE ON FOREIGN
CONTRACT
MATTERS & DEBT
RECONCILLIATION BUREAU of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. I have
considered
it necessary to intimate you on a lucrative deal/business which I
believe
will be of great interest to both of us, hence it involves fortune.

However, consequent to the Federal Government Irrevocable Order to the
NCPC,
to Approve the payments of all delayed executed contract fund to their
rightful
beneficiaries, after satisfactory evidence that such contract was duely
executed and commissioned. But coincidental it occured that his
contract
payment was approved and the fund is still lying unclaimed and was
amongst
the approved payment that have been scheduled for transfer at the
Central
Bank of Nigeria for prompt remmitance.

As a matter of fact, I want to bring you into this transaction as his
business
associate and the Chairman of his Subsidiary Company, so that the
Central
Bank will release the funds in your favour, after which I can meet you
any
where in the world for the disbursement accordingly. I will use my
elevated
veto position to secure all the relevant documents pertinent to back
up
this transfer.

I envisaged this as a great opportunity for me to gather wealth before
my
anticipated retirement from civil service job. Note that your
expeditious
response to this matter will be appreciated or else this fund will be
delared
to the federal government of nigeria as un-claimed floating fund and
thereafter
lodge into the federal government treasury If no one applys for its
claim.

Finally, I am assuring you that this transaction is 100% risk free, in
as
much as you will adhere to my wise advice and directive, note that as
soon
as you confirm your willingness to this proposal, I will not hesitate
inform you of the procedures and how to advance to the claim of this
contract
entitlement.

Hoping to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

Thanks and God Bless.

Yours faithfully,

SENATOR JAMES ABRAHAM.

NB:please,as a matter of confidentiality, do send your subsequent
via my private email address as mentioned below:
Email - ([email protected])

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

Fireman wrote on Queenie's profile.
Hi, Queenie. Love your posts. Even though I don't you, you must be some kind of remarkable and lovely person. Lets keep in touch.
It's okay to admire otherz, but first, love self. ELEVATE your self-image by having a healthy love & respect for yourself. ✍
1619+400=2019 Jamestown Virginia...end of slavery. (Yes modern miseducation and injustices count as slavery) But no proper reparations will be given since the amount of contributions beyond humanity transcends generations. Our people have history that is equal to trillions of dollars including Melanin research and its supernatural power.
I want my people to be aware of this dilemma regarding the upcoming election... I know politics. Yes Trump is admitting the truth about Black People building this so called country corporation (The United States). But you must understand that what they're planning on doing is to divide and conquer. This is all just for him to get re-elected. He's going to promise reparations and reneg at the last minute.
Ifypedro334 wrote on Jasica Adam's profile.
The best gift to give a baby boy is ??
Top