Nigeria : Nigeria develops Plasma-Screen TV

militant

Jun 21, 2005
Im sorry, could have continued this in another thread but look, in all honesty, this deserved a new thread.

Posted Thursday, November 17, 2005
Nigeria reveals hi-tech to rival Korea

42-inch plasma screen television, elegantly designed with a black lacquer finish, dominates the Nigerian stand at ICT4All, the trade exhibition running parallel to the World Summit on the Information Society in Tunis. The ultra-flat screen television could pass unnoticed but for the fact that it is 100 per cent Nigerian made. The emergence of the hi-tech sector in the heart of the most underdeveloped continent, according to the latest UN report on information technology, is one of the surprises of the Tunis exhibition.

advertisement

The plasma television is not the only product of the small but energetic Omatek, a Lagos company which several months ago began turning out also office computers and latest generation PCs.

''The technology is imported but the production is 100 per cent Nigerian " explains Oluyomi Soyinka, director general. "Our production lines, where some 250 people work, can produce up to 60,000 computers per year. With the flat screen televisions we expect great results, thanks to a final price which is on average from 30-35 per cent lower than our Korean or Japanese competitors"

In practice, this mean selling at just over 600,000 naira (around 3,000 dollars) a 42 inch television that Asian competitors can not offer for less than a million naira.

The advantage, Solinka admits, comes also from the high taxes on imports, but the experiments is still unique in Africa.

The range of Omatek products, besides TVs and computers (where the only imported elements are the motherboards and processors) includes hi-fi and home theatre systems as well as monitors for presentations.

But the company, whose main stakeholders are two of Nigeria's main banks, wants to support the technological growth of the most populous African nation. It has recently approved an e-youth initiative, to provide families and schools at competitive prices and installment payments, a pc installed with educational software and lwide-band access to the Internet.

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
This does deserve its own thread, and is a perfect opportunity to "buy black"! I see this as a very positive move for Nigeria.

militant

Jun 21, 2005
panafrica said:
This does deserve its own thread, and is a perfect opportunity to "buy black"! I see this as a very positive move for Nigeria.
Those were exactly my thoughts. A perfect opportunity for "buy black". But we all know that Africans both in Africa and in Diaspora will rather buy Samsung nad Sony Plasma screens from Japan and Korea. Just because of the name factor. I wonder how it will do with the african appetite for imported goods.

Therious

Banned
Feb 22, 2004
militant said:
Those were exactly my thoughts. A perfect opportunity for "buy black". But we all know that Africans both in Africa and in Diaspora will rather buy Samsung nad Sony Plasma screens from Japan and Korea. Just because of the name factor. I wonder how it will do with the african appetite for imported goods.
In the u.s. its all about how you market. if you can make the t.v. the "black thing to do" such as von dutch clothing, nike shoes, or cadillac autos it will be a gold mine for the producers. Or if you just make a creative marketing campaign all people will bUy./

militant

Jun 21, 2005
Therious said:
In the u.s. its all about how you market. if you can make the t.v. the "black thing to do" such as von dutch clothing, nike shoes, or cadillac autos it will be a gold mine for the producers. Or if you just make a creative marketing campaign all people will by./
I agree with you. But one must remember the images of Africa most people have as a factor. Japan wasnt always the best of countries when they first started out. It might take time for African technology to be taken serious.

Therious

Banned
Feb 22, 2004
militant said:
I agree with you. But one must remember the images of Africa most people have as a factor. Japan wasnt always the best of countries when they first started out. It might take time for African technology to be taken serious.
tRUE, YOU WOULD HAVE TO PUSH THE PRODUCT FIRST RATHER THAN THE ORIGINATING COUNTRY OF THAT PRODUCT. oNCE AMERICANS ASSOCIATE QUALITY WITH A REGION YOULL BE HOT LIKE FIRE.

TAKE THE AUTO COMPANY KIA, A KOREAN PRODUCT. pEOPLE IN THE U.S. KNOW ITS NOT THE BEST CAR BUT BUY BECAUSE ITS PRICED RIGHT.

militant

Jun 21, 2005
It also depends on the Main Market of the product. If say it is for argument's sake America, I would advice that they set up a branch here in America to help with the image issues. When the market is established with a firm hold on the market, then they can "go back home" by outsourcing the resources back to the head quarters in Africa.

Therious

Banned
Feb 22, 2004
militant said:
It also depends on the Main Market of the product. If say it is for argument's sake America, I would advice that they set up a branch here in America to help with the image issues. When the market is established with a firm hold on the market, then they can "go back home" by outsourcing the resources back to the head quarters in Africa.
Meaning actually set up a production hub in the desired regeion? In this case the u.a.s.? or even find an american firm to help produce a "made in th u.s.a." product?

great point

militant

Jun 21, 2005
Some of the guys who worked in the company are obviously Nigerians who lived overseas. Some of these Nigerians might have held high tech positons before they decided to help there native country. I believe one can pull such skilled Africans that are scattered all over the diaspora and build similar high tech companies. They need the incentives such as good infrastructure and investment to contribute there knowledge and skills.

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

It's okay to admire otherz, but first, love self. ELEVATE your self-image by having a healthy love & respect for yourself. ✍
1619+400=2019 Jamestown Virginia...end of slavery. (Yes modern miseducation and injustices count as slavery) But no proper reparations will be given since the amount of contributions beyond humanity transcends generations. Our people have history that is equal to trillions of dollars including Melanin research and its supernatural power.
I want my people to be aware of this dilemma regarding the upcoming election... I know politics. Yes Trump is admitting the truth about Black People building this so called country corporation (The United States). But you must understand that what they're planning on doing is to divide and conquer. This is all just for him to get re-elected. He's going to promise reparations and reneg at the last minute.
Ifypedro334 wrote on Jasica Adam's profile.
The best gift to give a baby boy is ??
Lon
Trying to find my way around on this forum. It's not User Friendly