PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
Paula Hammond named head of Department of Chemical Engineering at MIT
By Lango Deen
Aug 19, 2015 - 7:28:09 AM

An MIT faculty member since 1995, Paula Hammond, the David H. Koch Professor in Engineering, has been named the new head of the Department of Chemical Engineering (ChemE). She is the first woman and first person of color appointed to the post.

"We are fortunate to have someone with Professor Hammond's vision and dedication to lead this distinguished department," says Ian A. Waitz, dean of the School of Engineering. "She has a deep knowledge of the Institute and has led a remarkable career as a researcher and educator. Please join me in congratulating Paula on this appointment."

Hammond is a core faculty member of the Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research and was a founding member of the Institute for Soldier Nanotechnologies. She has collaborators in academic departments throughout the Institute, and has worked with clinicians and researchers at various Boston-area hospitals. Her research group focuses on biomaterials and drug delivery. Their research focuses on the self-assembly of polymeric nanomaterials; the core of her work is the use of electrostatics and other complementary interactions to generate functional materials with highly controlled architectures, including the development of new biomaterials and electrochemical energy devices. She and her former students and postdocs have started a range of biotech companies.

Here is an interview Professor Hammond did with Black Engineer dot com's Lango Deen in 2004 to mark National Mentoring Month.

Paula Hammond: I'm very active with informal and formal mentoring of African American students and women students on and off campus. For example, I speak to advise and encourage the African-American students at MIT, attend and give forums, and appear on panels that address career issues and issues of work and family. I've been working at my church, St. Paul A.M.E. in Cambridge, as a volunteer in its Math-Science Academy.

Chevron Dove

May 7, 2009
Paula Hammond named head of Department of Chemical Engineering at MIT
By Lango Deen
Aug 19, 2015 - 7:28:09 AM

An MIT faculty member since 1995, Paula Hammond, the David H. Koch Professor in Engineering, has been named the new head of the Department of Chemical Engineering (ChemE). She is the first woman and first person of color appointed to the post.

"We are fortunate to have someone with Professor Hammond's vision and dedication to lead this distinguished department," says Ian A. Waitz, dean of the School of Engineering. "She has a deep knowledge of the Institute and has led a remarkable career as a researcher and educator. Please join me in congratulating Paula on this appointment."

Hammond is a core faculty member of the Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research and was a founding member of the Institute for Soldier Nanotechnologies. She has collaborators in academic departments throughout the Institute, and has worked with clinicians and researchers at various Boston-area hospitals. Her research group focuses on biomaterials and drug delivery. Their research focuses on the self-assembly of polymeric nanomaterials; the core of her work is the use of electrostatics and other complementary interactions to generate functional materials with highly controlled architectures, including the development of new biomaterials and electrochemical energy devices. She and her former students and postdocs have started a range of biotech companies.

Here is an interview Professor Hammond did with Black Engineer dot com's Lango Deen in 2004 to mark National Mentoring Month.

Paula Hammond: I'm very active with informal and formal mentoring of African American students and women students on and off campus. For example, I speak to advise and encourage the African-American students at MIT, attend and give forums, and appear on panels that address career issues and issues of work and family. I've been working at my church, St. Paul A.M.E. in Cambridge, as a volunteer in its Math-Science Academy.

awesome!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Black Poetry : SHE SAID: now I'm a down for life red-bone boys wanna kiss my lips and head home they love my skin-tone, correct and hot tonight lips reflect a lot of Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : OK she strut butt and stay up with luck she's a RED BONE and boys kiss her and head home because of her skin tone this boy has a TOYOTA with hype he Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Kemetstry Black Money Business Jobs : BROTHER HEAD OF AMERICAN AIRLINES Black Money Business Jobs 2
Kemetstry Black Positive People : BLACK TWINS ARE HEAD OF THE CLASS Black People Doing Positive Things 0
J Black Poetry : Juicy sexual color of dark skin in the head is only one word: Divine. My juicy, sweet, goddess. The figure is like a boom boom cool rap beat bass from Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Kemetstry Black Sports : NFL HIRING BLACK HEAD COACHES A FRAUD? Black Sports 1
R Black Poetry : Head not at odds it's straight and in Genesis now god create the HEAVEN AND EARTH folks should be in FT LEAVENWORTH for not believing, the earth had n Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
R Black Poetry : Ill with this and still exist with many chapters for a plenty rappers I see jive that be alive have to duck my head or get struck by lead playing cowb Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Smartphones are paving way for the Antichrist, says head of Russian church Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
R Black Poetry : Rap stats that slap cats dang don't rather this a cap or hat Is got on my head, a cap is a fashion p Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : My quotes slaughter while they float in water like a boat keep my head above water and love slaughte Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
R Black Poetry : PUNCHLINES #2 (A Comedy) you have no power in your head if whackness was a flowerbed // you'll be in Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Mario William vitale Black Poetry : Hammer Head Toast With A Can Of Spam Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Destee Audio Video Web Conferencing : Tupac - Keep Ya Head Up Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
jamesfrmphilly Black People : kathy-griffin-holds trumps severed-head-photo Black People Open Forum 10
R Black Poetry : LYNNHAVEN PARKWAY #1 Go to college then bed got knowledge in my head like EINSTEIN // drink wine and Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : head-of-police-chiefs-apologizes Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
Bishop Black Poetry : From My Head To My Heart Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
serious brother Black Parenting : Tamir Rice, Mike Brown, Trayvon Martin and single head of household Black Parenting 20
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : Lyrical master to the head just before night in bed Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Liberty Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Fashionable Turbans, Head Wraps, and Tutorials, Too! Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 14
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Forrest Gump is Nathan B. Forrest KKK head AACOOLDRE 1
S Black Entertainment : Head Hunters | Herbie Hancock | 1973 | Black Entertainment 6
CosmicMessenger Black Entertainment : Earth, Wind, and Fire - Keep Your Head To The Sky Black Entertainment 0
jamesfrmphilly Black People : she no got head covered...... Black People Open Forum 3
coey30 Black Poetry : Big Heart vs. Little Head... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
CosmicMessenger Black Poetry : So Black, So Beautiful (another poem off the top of my head) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
RAPTOR Black People : Obama and His Head-Chopping Friends Black People Open Forum 0
A Black Sports : Do over head stadium lights contribute to athletes knee injuries? Black Sports 15
Fine1952 Law Forum : Gospel music drives North Carolina woman to ax stepfather in the head Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 9
Destee Single Black Mothers : Single Black Mothers - Don't Believe the Hype - Hold Your Head High! Black Women 17
Bishop Black Poetry : Revelation of Peace (Got My Head Back Together) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
Kemetstry Black Positive People : La June Montgomery Tabron - SISTER NAMED HEAD OF KELLOGG FOUNDATION Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Kemetstry Black People Politics : Jeh Johnson - BROTHER TO HEAD HOMELAND SECURITY Black People Politics 26
Alarm Clock Black People Politics : Why one percenter Pritzker as head of Commerce Department? Black People Politics 2
A Audio Video Web Conferencing : Beautiful black Princess by White head brothers nice song Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
info-moetry Audio Video Web Conferencing : Allure ft. Nas - Head over heals Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Clyde C Coger Jr South Africa : South African elected first female AU Commission head South Africa 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Distant Human Ancestor Had Shark Head Science and Technology 317
Kemetstry Black People : Trouble In Alphaville? - Herman “Skip” Mason - Alpha Phi Alpha Head Man - Accused of Stealing? Black People Open Forum 98
thePreacher Black People : Zimmerman's Bloody Head Photo Black People Open Forum 14
Ankhur Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv: Earth, Wind and Fire, Keep Your Head to the Sky Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Gbenga Akinyemi The Front Porch : ORI..THE CONCEPT OF ORI( THE SPIRIT HEAD) The Front Porch 2
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Tony Toni Tone - Lay Your Head On My Pillow Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Gap Band - Oops Upside Your Head (1980) Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Avery Sunshine - All In My Head Music Video Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
info-moetry Audio Video Web Conferencing : Allure feat. Nas - Head over Heels Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Black-king Audio Video Web Conferencing : SISTA COVER YO HEAD. Audio Video Web Conferencing 28
Indigo Blues Black People : Tonight on BTR - Is it ok for the woman to be the head of the household? Black People Open Forum 10
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : 2pac-gotta keep ya head up Audio Video Web Conferencing 1