Science and Technology : New Drug Resistant Superbug From India??

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
A new antibiotic-resistant "superbug" has emerged in India and Pakistan and spread to British hospitals, and health professionals are warning that it could become a major problem worldwide.

The bacterium has also been detected in the United States, Canada, Australia, the Netherlands and Sweden. British scientists blame the spread on medical tourism to India, often for cosmetic surgery.

Scientists fear bacteria with a gene named NDM-1 (New Delhi Metallo-1) could jump to other antibiotic-resistant bacteria — most notably MRSA — and even common E.coli to create infections that would spread quickly and be nearly impossible to treat. Scientists say NDM-1 alters the bacteria, making them resistant to even the most powerful group of antibiotics, carbapenems.

"There have been a number of small clusters within the UK, but far and away the greater number of cases appear to be associated with travel and hospital treatment in the Indian subcontinent," Dr. David Livermore, one of the researchers and who works for the UK's Health Protection Agency, told the BBC. "This type of resistance has become quite widespread there."

Three U.S. cases of NDM-1 were identified between January and June, the Wall Street Journal writes. Te U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the patients had received recent medical care in India.

"The potential of NDM-1 to be a worldwide public health problem is great, and coordinated international surveillance is needed," the authors wrote.

Researchers are also calling for new antibiotics to combat the superbug. Their report was published in The Lancet.

Here are a Q&A and a map of infection hot spots.

The report comes just as the CDC says MRSA may be in decline.

:em0200:

$$RICH$$

Lyon King Admin.
STAFF
Mar 21, 2001
Da~WINDY*CITY //CHICAGO
Occupation
BUSINESS owner
I hope this not another governmental trend because they can name it so fast and something
they wanna test on human life and for Scientists to find a solution .........

It do raise my eye lids to how this came about and entering the U.S

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
There are a lot of idiots in the scientific field(s) that do things becase they can. The consequences be damned. This may be one of them

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
It may be a lot worse than that in the coming decades:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/aug/12/the-end-of-antibiotics-health-infections

I'm just confused, though. How are scientist to blame for this one? They've been trying to warn us for quite some time now about our abuse of antibiotics. Still, we pump them into the environment through various means and expect nothing bad to happen.

That was speculation. It could be just some mutant strain from the outback. It could be GODs rath

Destee Chat

Latest profile posts

Life is just a breath, but your works last forever.
@Destee
During this time, I wanna to wish everyone on this site the most blesseth and positive energy throughout
the rest of 2020 as we continue to persevere and raise awareness during this plandemic.
Continue to stay safe
and healthy. We're in the perfect time to self-care and boost our immune systems through at home remedies.
@Destee
I know this is my first status update since 2020 begin, but all of us agree that 2020 delivered a low-blow
to each of us with the miscellaneous events we have recently seen which brought all of us great displeasure.
Destee wrote on Joyce's profile.
Thanks for the Blessing! Love You! :kiss:
Making sure I do more than I did yesterday. Progress is the Concept.