Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... It's a good thing God is black...Whew!

"My 9-year-old was going to the church with us. How would you say to your 9-year-old daughter, 'We cannot get married here because, guess what sweetie, we're black,'" Charles Wilson told ABC's affiliate WAPT-TV.

Mississippi Church Refuses to Marry Black Couple

abc_couple_jt_120728_wmain.jpg

Mississppi Church Refuses to Marry Black Couple (ABC News)

They had booked their wedding far in advance. The invitations had been sent, the programs printed. But one day before Charles and Te'Andrea Wilson were to be married at the Mississippi church they frequented, they said a pastor told them they would have to find another venue -- because they were black.
There has never been a black wedding at the First Baptist Church in Crystal Springs, Miss., since its founding in 1883. According to Pastor Stan Weatherford, some church members objected so strongly to breaking that precedent, they threatened to oust him from his pastorship.
http://news.yahoo.com/mississppi-ch...ck-couple-205218322--abc-news-topstories.html

Peace In,

Keita Kenyatta

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 7, 2004
Personally Speaking, I never knew that black and white people went to church together down south or up North!!....For Real!! This is blowing my mind somewhat!!

They had booked their wedding far in advance. The invitations had been sent, the programs printed. But one day before Charles and Te'Andrea Wilson were to be married at the Mississippi church they frequented, they said a pastor told them they would have to find another venue -- because they were black.
There has never been a black wedding at the First Baptist Church in Crystal Springs, Miss., since its founding in 1883. According to Pastor Stan Weatherford, some church members objected so strongly to breaking that precedent, they threatened to oust him from his pastorship.
Rather than risk his job, Weatherford, who is white, said he decided to marry the pair at a black church down the road.
"My 9-year-old was going to the church with us. How would you say to your 9-year-old daughter, 'We cannot get married here because, guess what sweetie, we're black,'" Charles Wilson told ABC's affiliate WAPT-TV.
Outrage over the wedding's forced relocation swept the Jackson suburb of about 5,000 into a media firestorm.
The vast majority of Crystal Springs residents, blacks and whites alike, were "blown away" by the church's decision, said Theresa Norwood, 48, who was born in Crystal Springs and has lived there her entire life.
Norwood said she believes Weatherford should have married the Wilsons regardless of the risk to his job.
"That church was their home," she said. "What would Jesus have done? He would have married them, without a doubt, beca

http://news.yahoo.com/mississppi-ch...ck-couple-205218322--abc-news-topstories.html

Kamau47

Dec 6, 2005
In The Shadows
Nothing surprising here.
As I've said before, laws have changed but attitudes have not. I also know that when I travel to the South, to expect more of the same. And to be totally honest, I'm more surprised that people actually think that things have changed that much.

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Nothing surprising here.
As I've said before, laws have changed but attitudes have not. I also know that when I travel to the South, to expect more of the same. And to be totally honest, I'm more surprised that people actually think that things have changed that much.

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... Me either, just thought I'd share with the Family... Thanks for posting.

Peace In,

cherryblossom

Feb 28, 2009
Mississippi Church Refuses to Marry Black Couple

abc_couple_jt_120728_wmain.jpg

Mississppi Church Refuses to Marry Black Couple (ABC News)

Aint NO WAY I would still have allowed this pastor to perform my wedding!

HE and this church were especially LOW-DOWN to tell this couple ONE DAY before their wedding! ---They already knew this couple was Black and they already knew they had planned their wedding there.

AND, I would NEVA' set foot in THAT church again!

1 John 3:
[18] My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.

1 John 4:
[15] Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
[16] And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
[18] There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love
[20] If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?
[21] And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Health and Wellness : Mississippi Church That Violated Coronavirus "Stay At Home Order" Burned To Ground Black Health and Wellness 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Mississippi Is About To Have An Election Under Jim Crow Black People Politics 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Battle Brews to Dump Jim Crow-Era Voting Rules in Deep South Mississippi Black People Politics 1
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : black-parents-sue-mississippi-for-inequitable-schools Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : Mississippi’s richest county uses police checkpoints to enforce segregation, lawsuit claims Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 4
Liberty Law Forum : Mississippi African Americans besieged by illegal searches, ACLU lawsuit says Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 41
OldSoul OldSoul : Canton Mississippi 1966 - Moment in U S History OldSoul 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Mississippi councilman says throw rocks at police chasing petty crooks in Jackson Black People Politics 7
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : FBI: Mississippi Teen Girl ISIS Wannabe Praised Chattanooga Shooting Black People Politics 8
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Mississippi divided: Battle over Confederate flag shifts to Magnolia State Black People Politics 13
RAPTOR Black People : After Late Mayor Lumumba is Laid to Rest, What's Next for Jackson, Mississippi? Black People Open Forum 1
jamesfrmphilly Health and Wellness : Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies Black Health and Wellness 0
jamesfrmphilly Black Entertainment : pops staples - down in Mississippi Black Entertainment 0
cherryblossom Podcasts / MP3s / Audio : Mavis Staples: Down In Mississippi Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Kadijah African American History Culture : The spies of Mississippi: black men who spied on Civil Rights activists & Movement for 30 pieces... African American History Culture 31
CosmicMessenger Audio Video Web Conferencing : Magic Slim & the Teardrops - Going to Mississippi Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : FBI Monitoring Murder Probe of Gay Mississippi Mayoral Candidate Black People Politics 0
cherryblossom African American History Culture : Mississippi Finally Ratifies 13th Amendament African American History Culture 3
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Diary of a First-Year Teacher: Racism Is Alive and Well for Kids in the Mississippi Delta Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : 11-mile stretch of Mississippi River closed Black People Open Forum 0
Mercyless1803 Black People : Mississippi Mall Displays ‘Niger 3D, Dark, Black Men’ on Cinema Sign Black People Open Forum 1
legit-writer Black People : Mississippi Highway Murders: Killer Posing as Cop? Black People Open Forum 5
Ankhur Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv: Nina Simone, Mississippi, God **** (explicit) Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
RAPTOR Black People : Modern day slavery in louisiana and mississippi? Black People Open Forum 9
OldSoul OldSoul : "Reverse Racism": A Sad Misnomer for a Tragic Mississippi Murder OldSoul 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : 'Racially Motivated Killing' in Mississippi Caught on Video Black People Open Forum 11
Amnat77 Black People : Poll: 46 percent of Mississippi Republicans want interracial marriage ban Black People Open Forum 3
Amnat77 Black People : Pyramids on the Mississippi River (Cahokia state park) Black People Open Forum 0
Ankhur Black People : Extreme Poverty in Mississippi, overlooked by Corporate media Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul OldSoul : Mississippi Appendectomy 9PM ET Chat OldSoul 0
S African American History Culture : Mississippi Hill Country: "They Say Drums was a-Calling" African American History Culture 2
D Black People : Voting Rights Act being used for whites in Mississippi Black People Open Forum 1
M African American History Culture : Jerry Butler Profile of a Mississippi Artist African American History Culture 5
M Black Picture Image Gallery : My Mississippi 3 Black Picture Image Gallery 15
M Black Picture Image Gallery : My Mississippi part 2 Black Picture Image Gallery 15
M Black Picture Image Gallery : My Mississippi Black Picture Image Gallery 5
T Quiet Poetry Lounge : Mississippi Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
D Black People : white supremacist exhibit at Mississippi State Fair Black People Open Forum 2
jamesfrmphilly Black People : where is Mississippi red? Black People Open Forum 9
M Black Picture Image Gallery : Mississippi Red's Family and such/hope it works Black Picture Image Gallery 19
S Black People : More Strange Fruit In Mississippi Black People Open Forum 0
$$RICH$$ Black Haiku : MISSISSIPPI Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 42
A Black Haiku : Mississippi I Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
Bishop Black Poetry : Mississippi Area Lookout!! Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Christians : Feeling politically powerless, black Christians find more comfort in black church: study Christian Study Group 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : HBCU, helped by Jamal Bryant’s church and Kanye West, resurrecting after financial scandal Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : John Gray reveals he 'sat down' from leading Relentless Church to get his life in order Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
O Black Christians : Drone Footage of Beautiful church Christian Study Group 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Christians : DEEP STATE, DEEP CHURCH: HOW QANON AND TRUMPISM HAVE INFECTED THE CATHOLIC CHURCH Christian Study Group 0
SwagII Black Spirituality Religion : Isn't Church In Association With Religion, Professional Businesses? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0