Black Women : #MeToo? Black Women on the Periphery of a Movement

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
MeToo? Black Women on the Periphery of a Movement

As a black woman, I cannot bring myself to seek refuge in the monumental arms of the #MeToo Movement. On the contrary, I often find myself feeling contempt and cynicism. But it’s not because I don’t empathize with the women who have come forward with their experiences of sexual victimization. Rather, in part, it is because the ubiquitous social media campaign was hijacked from a black activist named Tarana Burke who created the original Me Too 10 years ago for women of color.

1. #MeToo? Black Women on the Periphery of a Movement
    http://valleyadvocate.com/2018/01/31/metoo-black-women-periphery-movement/ - 84k - Cached - Similar pages
    Jan 31, 2018 ... As a black woman, I cannot bring myself to seek refuge in the monumental

Queenie

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
I agree, Sis. IFE, yet I'm torn over it because, like you indicated, the Me Too concept was begun by a Black woman, and it, literally, got hijacked as a means for, primarily, White women to get their stories out into the public through media. Ten years, Sis. Burke has been in trenches fighting the good fight. There are probably others that have gone through what she experienced and look like her, who are unsung heroines as well.

I'm a woman...I'm a Black woman...I want to acknowledge and support the efforts made by Sis. Burke because she has the heart, courage and compassion to help other women who lack the resources to fight against sexual assault and cease being a victim. And, because she's Black, like me.

As Black women, we aren't viewed the same as other women. We don't own any personal real estate in the form of our bodies so who's going to listen to our stories, hear our cries or think we are worthy of protecting?

I read an article today in a subscription that I have, that made me angry and almost brought me to tears, Sis. IFE. It really made me sit and reflect on our history and experiences It speaks to the Black woman's experience in America. It starts out like this...

I Know Why Black Women Are Wary of Reproductive Activism
I’m burdened with the responsibility of informing the world around me that my body is mine. Historically, it belongs to everyone else.

http://www.yesmagazine.org/peace-ju...Black Women Are Wary of Reproductive Activism

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
I agree, Sis. IFE, yet I'm torn over it because, like you indicated, the Me Too concept was begun by a Black woman, and it, literally, got hijacked as a means for, primarily, White women to get their stories out into the public through media. Ten years, Sis. Burke has been in trenches fighting the good fight. There are probably others that have gone through what she experienced and look like her, who are unsung heroines as well.

I'm a woman...I'm a Black woman...I want to acknowledge and support the efforts made by Sis. Burke because she has the heart, courage and compassion to help other women who lack the resources to fight against sexual assault and cease being a victim. And, because she's Black, like me.

As Black women, we aren't viewed the same as other women. We don't own any personal real estate in the form of our bodies so who's going to listen to our stories, hear our cries or think we are worthy of protecting?

I read an article today in a subscription that I have, that made me angry and almost brought me to tears, Sis. IFE. It really made me sit and reflect on our history and experiences It speaks to the Black woman's experience in America. It starts out like this...

I Know Why Black Women Are Wary of Reproductive Activism
I’m burdened with the responsibility of informing the world around me that my body is mine. Historically, it belongs to everyone else.

http://www.yesmagazine.org/peace-justice/i-know-why-black-women-are-wary-of-reproductive-activism-20180209?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=YTW_20180209&utm_content=YTW_20180209+CID_9d96fd1561d02d7c779248c197f92ded&utm_source=CM&utm_term=I Know Why Black Women Are Wary of Reproductive Activism

I agree in part. I can’t say Black women don’t own their bodies in 2018.
We do own our bodies. Some Black women may not be conscious to know they own their bodies.

Three Black men protected me when the guy was in my car.
After watching him jump in the drivers seat of my car, they chased him down, caught him.....

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
F117F579-8D10-4B76-9AA4-E54F453CED51.jpeg

But I’m particularly challenged by this framing in the media #metoo.”
she is frustrated with whom the media has picked out as the “leaders” of the #MeToo movement and how that erases not just her work but also its original focus on black and and brown women.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
IFE Black Women : When #MeToo excludes me: current movement mutes black women’s voices Black Women 56
IFE Black Women : Black Girl Magic and Black Girl Rock - MeToo Founder Tarana Burk Black Women 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Zimbabwe : Zimbabwe needs #MeToo moment, says acclaimed author Zimbabwe 0
IFE Law Forum : #MeToo Movement Has Lawmakers Talking About Consent Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
IFE Black People : #MeToo Shows That Women Must Learn Sexual Self-defence Black People Open Forum 8
IFE Black Entertainment : How the #MeToo Movement Could Kill Some Sexy Hollywood Movies Black Entertainment 1
IFE Black People Politics : Saying #MeToo in Japan Black People Politics 0
IFE Black People Politics : Ivanka Trump tries to hop on Oprah’s #MeToo message. #MeToo says no thanks. Black People Politics 3
IFE Black People : The #MeToo Moment: What’s Next? Black People Open Forum 9
Kemetstry Black Women : METOO Black Women 81
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Black Native American descendants fight for recognition African American History Culture 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Relationships : New Book Claims the Destruction of Black Relationships Is 'America's Unrecognized Civil Rights Issue' Black Relationships 0
Kemetstry Black Money Business Jobs : BLACK OWNED HAIR CARE PRODUCT LINE IN NEIMAN MARCUS Black Money Business Jobs 0
Fine1952 Black People : The Black Tax - *Black Lives Still Don't Matter* Black People Open Forum 25
OldSoul Black People : CONSCIOUSNESS RAISING ONLINE - Nov 15, 2020 - Topic: Black People Dont Want No white God Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : The Destruction Of The Black Afrikan Woman Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : 'You are my wildest dream': Sydney Barber will be first Black woman to serve as US Naval Academy brigade commander Black People Doing Positive Things 0
I_AM_HER Steals and Deals : Black woman -owned Candle Shop in Houston, TX Shopping - Steals and Deals! 0
I_AM_HER Black Women : A black woman's experience and the failed U.S. healthcare system Black Women 0
Discerning Black People Politics : Take that, you Black and Latino defectors! Black People Politics 6
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Louisiana man sentenced to 25 years for burning Black churches Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
C Black People : Will The Black Divine Beings Ever Rise Again? Black People Open Forum 1
C Black People : The Problem With Black Afrikan People Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : Black Afrikans Has No Knowledge Of Need Black People Open Forum 0
Discerning Black People Politics : Older Black Voters are doing their part Black People Politics 0
C Black People : There Is A Difference In Black Afrikan American And Black Afrikans In America Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul Black People : What Ever Happened to Hazel Scott? One of the most Brilliant Beautiful Black Women Ever! Black People Open Forum 1
C Black People : The Problem With Black Folks Is Black Folks Black People Open Forum 1
Discerning Black People Politics : Kristen Welker made all Black women proud tonight Black People Politics 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Our Black Party Black People Politics 0
C Black People : There Is No Victory For Black Afrikan People Black People Open Forum 0
Don Fletcher Black Poetry : Black Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Short Stories : New book reveals Malcolm X secretly met the KKK to discuss setting up a ‘separate state’ for Black Americans Short Stories - Authors - Writing 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Ice Cube Helped Develop a New ‘Black Trump Platform’ and Fans Are Calling Him Out Over It Black People Politics 24
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Money Business Jobs : Killer Mike's majority Black and Latino owned online bank already has 'tens of thousands' on the waiting list Black Money Business Jobs 0
C Black People : The Mind Of Black Afrikan Americans Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul Black People : BLACK PARADE- Beyonce by Jene Marie Black People Open Forum 0
HODEE Black People : JPMorgan Chase is making a $30 billion commitment to help address U.S. wealth in equality, in underserved Black and Latino Communities Black People Open Forum 2
HODEE Black People Politics : LACK OF SUPPORT FOR DEMOCRATS ( BLUE STATES ) IS BECAUSE REPUBLICANS DON'T WANT TO HELP THE BLACK ( DEMOCRATIC ) COMMUNITY Black People Politics 3
OldSoul Black People : What it means to be Black in Brazil Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul Black People : CONSCIOUSNESS RAISING ONLINE - Oct 4, 2020 - Say their names - Black Women Killed by Police Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : Black Afrikans Must Learn Again Black People Open Forum 0
SwagII Black People Politics : The Black Experience is Still a Tragedy, Yet Some Blacks Support Our Oppressors! Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Education / Schools : 'Blatant disregard and disrespect of Black people': Virginia district apologizes for segregated schools - 53 years later Black Education / Schools 0
C Black People : A Disorganized Black Afrikan People Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : Black Afrikan Sacrifice Black People Open Forum 0
Energy Black Spirituality Religion : Don't Forget, The BIBLE is the ULTIMATE Black History book Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Al D Black People : The black-owned coffee firm that became a bestseller Black People Open Forum 0
HODEE Black People Politics : JOE BIDEN’S AGENDA _ FOR THE BLACK COMMUNITY Black People Politics 4
C Black People : If Black Lives Matter Is So ProBlack Black People Open Forum 0