Black Education / Schools : Meet the DeVos family — super-wealthy right-wingers working with the religious right to destroy publ

sekou kasimu

PanAfrikanist Revolutionary
PREMIUM MEMBER
Apr 12, 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
sowetomovement.blogspot.com
Occupation
Retired Ironworker
Well, part of the reason why black folk reject Afrocentric thought is because Afrocentric thinkers use it as weapon and try to put themselves above and beyond other black folk, as you have done with the tone of this post. Before any black people are able to internalize what is being said, they have to be made ready to receive the information. Colonization is a powerful thing in many ways and it must be undone in a series of very specific steps. If I misread what you seemed to say I apologize in advance.
The only black folk I've met who object too Afrikcentricity are those who know next too nothing about it! Especially the wannabe intellectuals who post long drawn out posts that don't say very much, and get offended when questioned. Malcolm's approach worked for me and a whole lot of other people. His approach was direct and brutally honest. One's ability too accept this approach without getting one's feelings hurt is a test in itself! Afrikan people in this country are in the same exact position that Europeans were in Nazis Germany in 1938. Yet some among us are still debating the relevance of the inherently evil political, economic, and social system that oppresses us. And when people who believe this are questioned they jump on the defensive. No one is beyond reproach! Anyone can be questioned!!!

Liberty

Banned
Aug 28, 2015
I am fine with the destruction of public schools. As black folk integration into that system was one of the worst mistakes we ever made. As far as Afrocentric education goes, that ship has sailed. We must first do simple steps like getting our collective self esteem back. Because if we do not have that, then whatever positive things we ae taught as a people will simply be rejected.
What do you mean when you say, "As far as Afrocentric education goes, that ship has sailed."?

I believe Afrocentric Education would be the cornerstone of building our collective self-esteem.

Liberty

Banned
Aug 28, 2015
An Open Letter To Betsy DeVos From America’s Public School Teachers

You haven’t ever attended or sent your children to a public school, yet you seem to have some pretty strong opinions about them

upload_2016-12-6_21-31-50.png

Tom Williams via Getty Images
Betsy DeVos, nominee for education secretary, poses for a photo before a meeting with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., in the Capitol, December 1, 2016.

Dear Ms. DeVos,

I don’t think we’ve really met yet, we are America’s public school teachers. There are about 3.1 million of us. We teach in large urban areas, we teach in the suburbs, we teach in small rural communities, and we teach in some really remote parts of our country. The most important thing to recognize is that we teach every kid who shows up. We don’t pick and choose the types of kids that we will teach, we teach ALL of them.

Because we haven’t really had much interaction, we thought it might be nice to share a little bit about the public schools we teach in. First of all, we are very proud of our schools. Public schools today have the highest graduation rate in American history. The Gallup Poll says that the rate of parents who are satisfied with their public school is the highest in American history. We are also very proud that our public schools offer more services to students with low socioeconomic backgrounds and special education needs than ever before. Not to be redundant, but we are proud that we serve ALL of the students in our communities.

Read more

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/an-introduction-from-public-school-teachers-to-betsy_us_5845e2fbe4b0707e4c8171a3

Liberty

Banned
Aug 28, 2015
Trump's education pick says reform can 'advance God's Kingdom'

The billionaire philanthropist whom Donald Trump has tapped to lead the Education Department once compared her work in education reform to a biblical battleground where she wants to "advance God's Kingdom."

Trump’s pick, Betsy DeVos, a national leader of the school choice movement, has pursued that work in large part by spending millions to promote the use of taxpayer dollars on private and religious schools.

Her comments came during a 2001 meeting of “The Gathering,” an annual conference of some of the country’s wealthiest Christians. DeVos and her husband, Dick, were interviewed a year after voters rejected a Michigan ballot initiative to change the state’s constitution to allow public money to be spent on private and religious schools, which the DeVoses had backed.

Read more

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/betsy-devos-education-trump-religion-232150

Consciousness Raising Online!

Destee Conference 1-866-4-DESTEE

Latest profile posts

Destee wrote on candeesweet's profile.
Hi Sweetie Pie Honey Bunch!!!! :love: ... it's good to see you! I hope you and yours are all well and staying safe. I Love You! :kiss:
Nahshon wrote on Gracious's profile.
Gracious Queen I hope you do come back to destee...I see last time you were online here was 6 years ago on my birthday...I was probably probably taking a puff on that good 'ol stuff at the time...maybe sitting back sipping Coffee, Tea, or Wine...I just had to go back and read your previous posts.
Moved back to the Borough of my birth...Queens New York...Originally from SouthSide but now I live in Far Rockaway.
Clarity to pursue my mission in 2020
Destee wrote on Omowale Jabali's profile.
Hi Brother O! YAAAAAY! Good to see you! Hoping all is well with you and yours! Happy New Year! :heart: