Black Education / Schools : Meet the DeVos family — super-wealthy right-wingers working with the religious right to destroy publ

Liberty

Banned
Aug 28, 2015
Bethune-Cookman University Officials Ought To Be Ashamed Of Themselves

upload_2017-5-10_15-17-9.png

Bethune-Cookman University, a historically Black university in Daytona Beach, Florida, has invited – and she has accepted – ironically titled Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos to be the commencement speaker next week. I’ve read several articles about this because I’ve honestly been trying to understand and what I’ve come up with is that there is no understanding to be had. Why an HBCU would chose to pick a member of Trump’s administration so aggressively hostile towards minority communities and, frankly, actual education, is beyond me.

Read more

http://verysmartbrothas.com/bethune-cookman-ashamed/

sekou kasimu

PanAfrikanist Revolutionary
PREMIUM MEMBER
Apr 12, 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
sowetomovement.blogspot.com
Occupation
Retired Ironworker
Bethune-Cookman University Officials Ought To Be Ashamed Of Themselves

View attachment 8652

Bethune-Cookman University, a historically Black university in Daytona Beach, Florida, has invited – and she has accepted – ironically titled Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos to be the commencement speaker next week. I’ve read several articles about this because I’ve honestly been trying to understand and what I’ve come up with is that there is no understanding to be had. Why an HBCU would chose to pick a member of Trump’s administration so aggressively hostile towards minority communities and, frankly, actual education, is beyond me.

Read more

http://verysmartbrothas.com/bethune-cookman-ashamed/
I heard on the radio that the president of this HBCU threatened to mail the diplomas to the students if they didn't sit down and stop disrupting that witch's speech!!! Lol

sekou kasimu

PanAfrikanist Revolutionary
PREMIUM MEMBER
Apr 12, 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
sowetomovement.blogspot.com
Occupation
Retired Ironworker
they will be working on overturning all rights.....civil, gay, whatever[/QUOTE/]
I am fine with the destruction of public schools. As black folk integration into that system was one of the worst mistakes we ever made. As far as Afrocentric education goes, that ship has sailed. We must first do simple steps like getting our collective self esteem back. Because if we do not have that, then whatever positive things we are taught as a people will simply be rejected.
Connect the dots between an African centered education and self-esteem! Lol

Liberty

Banned
Aug 28, 2015
Bethune-Cookman grads boo Betsy DeVos at commencement

Daytona Beach, Florida (CNN)Education Secretary Betsy DeVos faced an auditorium of jeering graduates at historically black Bethune-Cookman University as she gave a commencement address Wednesday that students and alumni say she was in no place to deliver.

As she opened her remarks, some students stood and turned their backs to her. At times hecklers drowned out her remarks.

Read more

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/10/politics/betsy-devos-bethune-cookman-commencement-protest/

Queenie

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001

Betsy DeVos, the education secretary, defended a school choice agenda, including vouchers, before a House subcommittee on Wednesday.
Credit Alex Wong/Getty Images

Can it get any worse?

WASHINGTON — Betsy DeVos, the education secretary, on Wednesday fiercely defended budget plans to spend $1.4 billion on the Trump administration’s expanded school choice agenda, but refused to say whether her office would withhold funds from private schools that discriminate against students.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/24/us/politics/betsy-devos-refuses-to-rule-out-giving-funds-to-schools-that-discriminate.html?_r=0

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

Nahshon wrote on Gracious's profile.
Gracious Queen I hope you do come back to destee...I see last time you were online here was 6 years ago on my birthday...I was probably probably taking a puff on that good 'ol stuff at the time...maybe sitting back sipping Coffee, Tea, or Wine...I just had to go back and read your previous posts.
Moved back to the Borough of my birth...Queens New York...Originally from SouthSide but now I live in Far Rockaway.
Clarity to pursue my mission in 2020
Destee wrote on Omowale Jabali's profile.
Hi Brother O! YAAAAAY! Good to see you! Hoping all is well with you and yours! Happy New Year! :heart:
Destee wrote on King Tubbs's profile.
Hi Brother - so good to see you in the house again! Hoping all is well with you and yours! Happy New Year Beloved! :heart: