Black Muslims : Mass Incarceration + Silence = Genocide

Keita Kenyatta

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 7, 2004

The Reckoning

What Blacks Owe to Each Other

As a follow-up to The Debt: What America Owes to Blacks, Randall Robinson makes the compelling case that at the same time that African Americans push for reparations, they must simultaneously fight another equally important battle against the growing prison industrial system that is as ominous a development for black and brown Americans as the slave trade was for the people of Africa between the seventeenth and nineteenth centuries. Tragically, African Americans have been and continue to be overwhelmingly thrown into new prisons-for-profit, increasingly built and run by corporations. Robinson argues that blacks owe it to each other to expose and dismantle this phenomenon because the repercussions, not only to those actually imprisoned, but for the entire black community, are frighteningly multidimensional and intergenerational.
The Reckoning grew out of Robinson’s work with gang members, ex-convicts, and others profoundly scarred by environments of extreme poverty. It pays homage to the residents of these neighborhoods waging heroic struggles to save their communities, and holds up for public examination America’s elected officials joining with corporate America to make private-sector prisons a twenty-first-century growth industry.
Author photo:
Willets Photo Studio, St. Kitts
About the Author

Randall Robinson is the author of MAKEDA, An Unbroken Agony and the national best sellers The Debt, The Reckoning, Quitting America, and Defending the Spirit, as well as the novel The Emancipation of Wakefield Clay. He is a professor of law at Penn State Law School and is the creator, co-producer, and host of the public television human rights series World on Trial. Robinson lives with his wife Hazel in St. Kitts, West Indies.

http://www.randallrobinson.com/reckoning.html

Here's the tragic part. I personally know of Black people who have invested in prison privatization. What does this mean? It means that we already have black politicians and so called leaders who are and have invested in the death of who we are as a people. I personally came up with a program that would merge the youth and the elders of our community together in a learning process whereby the gap between the old and young would be bridged in terms of them passing what skills they had down to the youth. When I went to the city council meeting about it, they told me,"Oh, we already had 20 million in funding for such a project". I asked them; "what happened to it"? They replied; They sat on it until the grant time ran out and sent it back".

I was never so pissed in my life!!!! I knew then that there was never going to be any intent to clean up anything in our communities because to do so was to take money out of the pockets of the people who had invested in the prison systems....and yes, there's a whole lot of our own people invested in it! Our youth and other black people ain't nothing but a dollar bill in somebody's pocket and you'd be surprised by how many of them are black that are lining their pockets with the blood of our people! All the gun violence, the drugs, the gangs, the school dropouts and all else is something that no one invested in that system wants to stop. It's on Wallstreet and yes, once again...our own BLACK people are invested in it!! In the words of Sister Souljah: "I got eyes so I can see, and my eyes don't play tricks on me!"

Kadijah

Banned
Apr 7, 2013
.Who is going to appeal to predisent Obama about this issue? And what can he do if we are still doing what racist have deceived us to do and end up in the prisons? This is called 'a bait and switch system, and I beleive we don't recognize this too, and then our people just stand by and do nothing-- not realizing this kind of situation damages the whole.

I know I'm going to get flamed, but -

Who is going to appeal to president Bush about this issue?

We might as well appeal to him, or to any white president, as to president Obama. We'll get the same result. Look at what happened when his friend, the respected professor Louis Gates was locked up, finger-printed and mug shot for trying to enter his own house. The racist policeman got a free trip to the White House where he got to sip brewskis with the president in the beautiful Rose Garden.

We're not gay and we're not illegal so we're not a high priority for the country or for our black president. It's like the title of the thread says - Mass Incarceration + Silence = Genocide. We've got to start making some noise.

I am in total agreement with this sig line:

The Only Friends That We Have Are Ourselves...And Anytime We Are Not About Ourselves As A People, Then We're About Somebody Other Than Us.

It's up to us to save us.

noor100

Aug 17, 2010
I know I'm going to get flamed, but -

Who is going to appeal to president Bush about this issue?

We might as well appeal to him, or to any white president, as to president Obama. We'll get the same result. Look at what happened when his friend, the respected professor Louis Gates was locked up, finger-printed and mug shot for trying to enter his own house. The racist policeman got a free trip to the White House where he got to sip brewskis with the president in the beautiful Rose Garden.

We're not gay and we're not illegal so we're not a high priority for the country or for our black president. It's like the title of the thread says - Mass Incarceration + Silence = Genocide. We've got to start making some noise.

I am in total agreement with this sig line:

The Only Friends That We Have Are Ourselves...And Anytime We Are Not About Ourselves As A People, Then We're About Somebody Other Than Us.

It's up to us to save us.

Why would you get flamed for speaking the truth? I agree with you...I don't see much difference in Bush/Obama policies. Many people seem blind to this so I try to avoid politics. But sometimes I have to say something.

chuck

Aug 9, 2003
CD I have a copy of Michelle Alexander's book. It is an eyeopener. The president should be concerned...but is he:(
It shouldn't be up to even the first african american president to decide what our agendas should be and/or what we should actually do about our peoples issues/problems/etc.

FYI...

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author

The Reckoning

What Blacks Owe to Each Other

As a follow-up to The Debt: What America Owes to Blacks, Randall Robinson makes the compelling case that at the same time that African Americans push for reparations, they must simultaneously fight another equally important battle against the growing prison industrial system that is as ominous a development for black and brown Americans as the slave trade was for the people of Africa between the seventeenth and nineteenth centuries. Tragically, African Americans have been and continue to be overwhelmingly thrown into new prisons-for-profit, increasingly built and run by corporations. Robinson argues that blacks owe it to each other to expose and dismantle this phenomenon because the repercussions, not only to those actually imprisoned, but for the entire black community, are frighteningly multidimensional and intergenerational.
The Reckoning grew out of Robinson’s work with gang members, ex-convicts, and others profoundly scarred by environments of extreme poverty. It pays homage to the residents of these neighborhoods waging heroic struggles to save their communities, and holds up for public examination America’s elected officials joining with corporate America to make private-sector prisons a twenty-first-century growth industry.
Author photo:
Willets Photo Studio, St. Kitts
About the Author

Randall Robinson is the author of MAKEDA, An Unbroken Agony and the national best sellers The Debt, The Reckoning, Quitting America, and Defending the Spirit, as well as the novel The Emancipation of Wakefield Clay. He is a professor of law at Penn State Law School and is the creator, co-producer, and host of the public television human rights series World on Trial. Robinson lives with his wife Hazel in St. Kitts, West Indies.

http://www.randallrobinson.com/reckoning.html

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... Thanks for posting sister noor100, I don't have this one in my library, if you have it, how does Randall answer the issue he poses:

Robinson argues that blacks owe it to each other to expose and dismantle this phenomenon

What are some of his suggestions for dismantling that system?

Peace In,

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
IFE Premium Members Only : Mass Incarceration, Private Prisons, Prison Industrial Complex Premium Members Only 35
IFE Black People Politics : New Petition Calls on Democrats to Prioritize Ending Mass Incarceration Black People Politics 0
Liberty Black People Politics : Bernie Sanders Explains How Free College Can End Mass Incarceration Black People Politics 1
Liberty Black People Politics : Is There Any Issue More Important Than Fighting Against Mass Incarceration? Black People Politics 97
RAPTOR Black People Politics : 6 Reasons Why Obama's Clemency Program For Drug Offenders Doesn't Change Mass Incarceration One Bit Black People Politics 17
OldSoul Audio Video Web Conferencing : The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness Audio Video Web Conferencing 4
$$RICH$$ Black People : The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness Black People Open Forum 1
Destee Law Forum : Is mass incarceration the new caste system? Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 2
MsInterpret Black People : How the mass incarceration hurts Black Women Black People Open Forum 2
Keita Kenyatta Black People : From Slavery to Mass Incarceration: Black People Open Forum 0
Kemetstry Black People : MASS BLACK MASSACRES Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul Black People : New Research Identifies Possible Mass Graves From 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : A rural town confronts its buried history of mass killings of black Americans African American History Culture 0
Vhedza1 Africa : Africa's Black Elite and The Anti-Colonial Mass Struggle Myth All Things Africa 0
Clyde C Coger Jr South Sudan : At scene of South Sudan mass rape, 'no one could hear me' South Sudan 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Christians : Ethiopian Jews threaten mass hunger strike over Israel move Christian Study Group 0
Kemetstry Black People : MASS GRAVE FOUND ON KKK LEADERS ESTATE Black People Open Forum 1
chuck Black People : What's Our Impact On The Mass Media Truly Being Based On? Black People Open Forum 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The two Popes that brought in Easter & X-Mass AACOOLDRE 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : The Mass Deportation Of Black Immigrants That You Haven’t Heard About Black People Politics 11
Kemetstry African American History Culture : Mass Lynchings in Our Past African American History Culture 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Charleston church under fire for mass shooting payouts Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 3
frankster Law Forum : Obama "DROP THE ROCK" Mass Clemency Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
Kemetstry Science and Technology : MASS EXTINCTION CAUSED BY RADIATION? Science and Technology 0
Kemetstry Black People Politics : WHY SISTERS SHOULD VOTE IN MASS Black People Politics 5
RAPTOR Black People : NAFTA at 20: Lori Wallach on U.S. Job Losses, Record Income Inequality, Mass Displacement Black People Open Forum 4
cherryblossom Audio Video Web Conferencing : Oh To Be Kept By Jesus - Wheeler Ave. Mass Choir Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
OldSoul OldSoul : Rachel Maddow On Mass Shootings - Worth Watching OldSoul 2
thePreacher Black People Politics : Mass Murderer-In-Chief Black People Politics 178
Gorilla Black People : BBC - Mass protests planned over web NSA spying revelations Black People Open Forum 0
chuck Black People : Is The Mass Media Redefining What And Who We Choose To Be? Black People Open Forum 0
Alarm Clock Black People : Philadelphia Parents and Workers Launch Hunger Strike Against Mass School Firings Black People Open Forum 0
Kadijah Black People : Mass Arrests of Black People Coming Black People Open Forum 23
KaHotep The Front Porch : My apology to the mass The Front Porch 2
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Police ID suspect in New Orleans mass shooting Black People Open Forum 1
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : White men have much to discuss about mass shootings Black People Politics 15
Destee Black People Politics : The One Country That's Used Weapons of Mass Destruction on Others, Determines Who Can Have Them? Black People Politics 5
S Black People : Norway sends strong message to muslims: sentences mass murder of Muslims to 10 years. Black People Open Forum 2
Kemetstry Black People : Categorizing Mass Murderers - Food For Thought Black People Open Forum 20
Destee Black People : Mass Shooting at Colorado theater showing Batman Black People Open Forum 17
S Science and Technology : Where does Mass come from? Science and Technology 0
$$RICH$$ Audio Video Web Conferencing : Come On In The Room The Georgia Mass Choir Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
S Black People : Lecture: Colonialism & Mass Media, Propoganda & Psychological War - Dr. Jared Ball Black People Open Forum 1
Asomfwaa Black Relationships : Political Action: Mass Viral Campaign on Black Intimacy Black Relationships 14
Ankhur Nigeria : What would Dr Clarke say about the mass movement in Nigeria? Nigeria 7
Corvo Black People : General Strike in Mass Action- Oakland Black People Open Forum 1
Amnat77 Black People : Muslim Genocide on Black Africans Through Mass Castration Black People Open Forum 4
cherryblossom Black Entertainment : Mass Production Black Entertainment 5
Ankhur Black People : Mass. Scott Brown/ The Fox Dances over the hen House Black People Open Forum 6
Destee Black Weight Loss : What is Your BMI - Body Mass Index ? Black Health and Wellness 0