Amun-Ra : Martin Luther King!

Amun-Ra

Feb 15, 2001
Dallas
Occupation
Sales Management
I think the movie goers spoke

They enjoyed the movie and despite what others may think, the pocketbooks said it loud and clear that Barbershop is a funny movie. As far as poor Coretta Scott King and her children go--that's the way of the world--people don't stop their interest in a leader because their family is still around--that's why people in the public light should consider what they do before it comes public because once it becomes public it not affects them, but all of their families, associates and friends--when any of us choose to take a path that may cause embarassment, we must be aware that more than likey our families will be affected even more--when crimminals go to jail, they take their entire families with them and affect all of their lives--Love to Sister Rosa, brother Martin, Rodney King and even OJ Simpson, but a public figure gets no mercy and shouldn't--Sister Parks may be a special case because she didn't choose to be a public figure, but neither did she turn away the accolades that came her way--no that she is old and feeble certainly affects our hearts, but for comedic material--roll out the sacred cows and golden geese so that the banquet may begin--of course as a comedian, we must also recognize that not everyone is going to like our material and that is the danger, but to hold off--forget it! Malcolm X was and still is one of my personal heroes, but he was once a petty thug, thief and pimp. It may not be what I like to hear about him, but it is also part of his life and I cannot deny it, just as he can't--neither can his wife nor child. The Revs. Jackson and Sharpton are best when they are focused on issues that affect the black community on an institutional basis. However, when I hear either of them speaking of what is proper behavior for other blacks, I remind myself of the Tawana Brawley case which turned out to be a farce and the "love child" scandal that hit the news. I like Jesse a lot because of his willingness to stand and take the barbs and arrows, but as far as Jesse telling me what I can laugh at and what is funny--I take "Eddie's" response from the movie which if you saw it is "f" Jesse!

Ra

;)

Amun-Ra

Feb 15, 2001
Dallas
Occupation
Sales Management
agree all da way

Jesse and Al need to get them some business--much as I love MLK--he did it and he did it knowing Coretta was at home--still, he was a great man and no one can take that away--Amun-Ra

:)

Amun-Ra

Feb 15, 2001
Dallas
Occupation
Sales Management
I am Though

I cut no public figure any slack--none! Martin was a womanizer and that is fact. Poor Rosa maybe she is the least pickable, but comedy rolls on the edge. Just like President Kennedy-- great man--and a womanizer. There are many other public figures black and white who werepart of the struggle and just as many of them led lives that didn't match with their public personna--we should be aware they weren't saints so we aren't ambushed by someone who knows just a little more. Does this detract from their greatness--some would say so, but I contend that a man's good deeds far exceeds their human failings.

Ra

:)

Ra-Allah

Sep 8, 2003
Everyone in the black community knows that Martin Luther King, Jr. was unfaithful. This is a disgrace. However the movie Barbershop became a problem when Cedric The Entertainer displays our "private business" to the white community. I remember sitting in the movie theater, the racial make up was about half black, half white. When "JD" calls MLK a whoremonger, it was only whites who laugh. Blacks have a hard enough time keeping MLK and other black patriots in school curriculum, so why disrespect them in front of the very people who want to discard them. As blacks we understand the importance of MLK and Rosa Parks because we understand somewhat of the struggle. However whites do not, so as the affection we have towards the leaders may not be destroyed, the little affection the white community is being destroyed. After the movie I heard many white moviegoers referring to that derogatory line. Why as black people must we disgrace our race to be sucessful. No other race does this to the extent that we do. The jews do not come out calling Netenyahu, a warmonger. Though we are still oppressed by the American gov't, we are only making our fate and situation worst with lines like the ones in barbershop. Barbershop would have been just as funny and entertaining without the two lines about MLK and Rosa Parks

Destee Chat

Latest profile posts

Destee wrote on Joyce's profile.
Thanks for the Blessing! Love You! :kiss:
Making sure I do more than I did yesterday. Progress is the Concept.
Ms Drea wrote on yahsistah's profile.
Welcome Back Sister!!
Love and Blessings!!
Hey Sister Destee just logged in to say Love you and miss you much! Hope you are well.
Destee wrote on candeesweet's profile.
Hi Sweetie Pie Honey Bunch!!!! :love: ... it's good to see you! I hope you and yours are all well and staying safe. I Love You! :kiss: