- Mar 10, 2011
Very informative as always!In Spirit of Sankofa and Update,
Nelson Mandela, revered statesman and anti-apartheid leader, dies at 95
Former South African President Nelson Mandela has died at age 95 of complications from a recurring lung infection.
The anti-apartheid leader and Nobel laureate was a beloved figure around the world, a symbol of reconciliation from a country with a brutal history of racism.
- Nelson Mandela, from apartheid fighter to president and unifier Reuters
- Nelson Mandela, 20th century colossus, dies at 95Associated Press
- South Africa, world mourn 'giant for justice' Mandela Reuters
- Timeline: Life and times of Nelson MandelaReuters
- Nelson Mandela, 'The Epicenter of Our Time,' Has Died The Atlantic Wire
Mandela was released from prison in 1990 after nearly 30 years for plotting to overthrow South Africa's apartheid government. In 1994, in a historic election, he became the nation's first black leader. Mandela stepped down in 1999 after a single term and retired from political and public life.