destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Riada said:
Remember "hindsight is 20-20." IMO, Madame C. J. Walker and Dr. King should not be judged negatively by any of us in this day because these people lived and dealt during times in this country that were hell for every single Black person. Also, they couldn't predict the future.

It's so easy to sit around now on the internet and point out what they and other Black folks did wrong. What are WE doing that is so superior to what they did or are WE doing anything at all?
Sister Riada ... i agree ... :bowdown:

:heart:

Destee

ShemsiEnTehuti

Aug 28, 2006
Florida, USA
Riada said:
Remember "hindsight is 20-20." IMO, Madame C. J. Walker and Dr. King should not be judged negatively by any of us in this day because these people lived and dealt during times in this country that were hell for every single Black person. Also, they couldn't predict the future.

It's so easy to sit around now on the internet and point out what they and other Black folks did wrong. What are WE doing that is so superior to what they did or are WE doing anything at all?
I hear what you are saying, but I am not necessarily judging them. I am only making a historically-relevant point about why (the title of this thread) "Little Black Girls Are Ugly". I realize that times were much different then, and they probably had to deal with things I can only imagine. I am only highlighting the ingrained self-hate, even in the people some of us deem heros, throughout history.

One thing I would like to say though is that we can't expect any real progress if we can't honestly address the mistakes we have made, no matter how sensitive the issue.

ShemsiEnTehuti

Aug 28, 2006
Florida, USA
Destee said:
Brother ShemsiEnTehuti ... you want to be careful when talking negatively of our Ancestors. Those who lived during much harsher times than ours, that laid the way for us to be here today. We can't honestly take one piece of their life, and try to hold them responsible, for the weapons of mass destruction put upon us, via racism (white supremacy). You aren't even giving them the benefit to respond, to defend themselves. That's just not fair or right under any circumstance, but especially toward our Ancestors, those who have gone before us.

Our Beloved Ancestor, Madame C. J. Walker, provided a way for our Ancestors to look the way white supremacy required them to look, in order that many of our people could work, eat, and live. You really can't be provided 20/20 hindsight, and then hold her accountable for all the results. C'mon now.

We owe our Ancestors much more than that.

The challenge is for us now, who are more aware ... thanks to our Ancestors... to stop doing our little Black girls this way.

Destee
As I stated to Riada, I was only demonstrating how this self-hate was ingrained in us thoughout our modern history in the Americas. I understand that circumstances were far harsher and dynamically different than perhaps I even realize. However, the other side of the coin is that I see sisters all over this country idolizing C.J. Walker, not because she provided means for African-American women/families to make a living, but so that they can escape their African hair. In fact, the majority of the time I hear Black women speak of Madame Walker, the African-American consciousness aspects of it are almost totally devoid from their thought processes, while almost entirely grateful to make their hair look white.

When it comes to Dr. King as an ancestor, is not brother Malcolm our ancestor as well? In fact, if you listen to Malcolm's speech "Message to the Grass Roots", he ridiculed King's movement staunchly. In fact, Malcolm X's predictions of such a movement have proven to be true. That is we will gain nothing more in the end (if not lose some), by trying to integrate/assimilate with Whites. There is no doubt in my mind that the only reason we went King's direction is because Whites do not want to see us as independent as Malcolm wanted. They were played against each other, only to exterminate them both in the end. Don't get me wrong, I definitely hear what you are saying Destee. But we are not going have any real progress for the immediate future if we cannot honestly address our mistakes of the past.

emanuel goodman

Jun 25, 2006
chicago
Occupation
social worker
a blessing

Destee said:
Peace and Blessings Family,

It seems that once a little Black girl comes out of the womb, one of the first things that takes place in her life ... is that she gets a perm or gets her hair pressed. Something has to be done to her hair, for her to be pretty. :(

Little white girls, little asian girls ... all other little girls ... come out of the womb pretty.

But not our little Black girls.

We rush them to the hairdresser, or the kitchen sink, to make what God gave them something else.

What does this do to a young girl's self-esteem ... her long-term view of herself?

What are we saying to our babies, by rushing them off to pressing combs and relaxers, at such a young age?

Are we perpetuating the weapons of mass destruction put on our people?

What are we saying to our sons, regarding beauty?

Are little Black girls ugly ... the way God made them?

Destee

It is a blessing to have a sister like u whom has not fallen for the programming please keep speaking so the sisters will hear u and stop killing there divinity. We are the only ones on the earth whom has hair that grows up towards the sun reaching for energy .

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
ShemsiEnTehuti said:
As I stated to Riada, I was only demonstrating how this self-hate was ingrained in us thoughout our modern history in the Americas. I understand that circumstances were far harsher and dynamically different than perhaps I even realize. However, the other side of the coin is that I see sisters all over this country idolizing C.J. Walker, not because she provided means for African-American women/families to make a living, but so that they can escape their African hair. In fact, the majority of the time I hear Black women speak of Madame Walker, the African-American consciousness aspects of it are almost totally devoid from their thought processes, while almost entirely grateful to make their hair look white.
Brother ShemsiEnTehuti ... you don't see Sisters idolizing our Beloved Ancestor, Madame C.J. Walker ... what you see is Sisters idolizing white people. And yes, i suppose it could be said that our Beloved Madame C.J. Walker was also a victim of that. We are all victims of it Brother. I don't believe there is one of us, that is or has been totally free of the manifestations of racism (white supremacy). If i'm wrong, please correct me. As a result, we are all "guilty" to some degree. The challenge is not for us to point out the wrong in others, our Ancestors or otherwise, but to remove those manifestations from ourselves and encourage others to do the same.

ShemsiEnTehuti said:
When it comes to Dr. King as an ancestor, is not brother Malcolm our ancestor as well? In fact, if you listen to Malcolm's speech "Message to the Grass Roots", he ridiculed King's movement staunchly. In fact, Malcolm X's predictions of such a movement have proven to be true. That is we will gain nothing more in the end (if not lose some), by trying to integrate/assimilate with Whites. There is no doubt in my mind that the only reason we went King's direction is because Whites do not want to see us as independent as Malcolm wanted. They were played against each other, only to exterminate them both in the end. Don't get me wrong, I definitely hear what you are saying Destee. But we are not going have any real progress for the immediate future if we cannot honestly address our mistakes of the past.
Yes, of course our Beloved Brother Malcolm is an Ancestor too, and if i saw you or anyone speaking negatively on his life, i would speak on it. Yes, of course he is OUR ANCESTOR ... they both are ... and it is more evidence of how blessed a people we are, that the Creator gave them to us. Yes, they are ours. Let us lift up our people, always. Let that be our first inclination.

There is value in what both of them did. Great Value. I'm sure if they were here now, able to speak to each other, they would agree. I believe that with my whole heart. I do not automatically think the worst of my people, or perpetuate what i think is the worst in them (individually). If i speak on a Sister or Brother, i want to be saying good things about them. If i can't do that, i will try to say nothing at all. That's just me, i know, but it's a great way to provide evidence that some of the manifestations of racism (white supremacy) are in fact leaving me.

I will not harm my Brother or Sister ... and especially my Ancestors ... with words from my mouth.

Destee

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

Moved back to the Borough of my birth...Queens New York...Originally from SouthSide but now I live in Far Rockaway.
Yummy0 wrote on jamesfrmphilly's profile.
Hello to you dear, how are you doing ?
Yummy0 wrote on 1poetsought's profile.
Yummy0 wrote on chuck's profile.
Yummy0 wrote on jamesfrmphilly's profile.