Liberia : Liberia...and the slaves who returned to africa...

cherryblossom

Feb 28, 2009
Alums Vie To Lead Liberia
By CAROLINE M. MCKAY, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER
Published: Monday, September 19, 2011
Harvard is a household name for politics—but not just in America.

Ellen Johnson Sirleaf and Winston A. Tubman, two Harvard graduates who maintain strong ties to the University, are competing for the presidency of Liberia in an election to be held on Oct. 11.

Sirleaf, the current president of Liberia and a 1971 graduate of the Harvard Kennedy School, was the University’s Commencement speaker last spring.

Tubman, who earned a degree from Harvard Law School in 1966, returned to Cambridge last weekend for the Celebration of Black Alumni conference.

The conference, themed “Struggle and Progress: Leadership in the 21st Century,” brought together black Law School alumni from around the world for discussions and events. Tubman sat on a panel about the human rights agenda in Africa with other black leaders, including former Ambassador to Nigeria Walter C. Carrington.

In an interview Saturday, Tubman said he returned to Cambridge less than a month before his nation’s election because he believes Liberia’s relationship with Harvard is important for the country’s development.

Tubman explained that he hopes Liberia will become a place that young black professionals—like those graduating from Harvard—will consider as a potential location to live and work.

He said he hopes to “be able to reach out to all my friends and say ‘Look, I have this big job to do, and I need all the help from all my friends—including my influential powerful friends from Harvard.’”
The relationship between Harvard and Liberia reaches back to the 19th century. Simon Greenleaf, a Harvard professor, drafted Liberia’s constitution in 1847. A little more than a century later, in 1951, Joseph R. Grimes, a graduate of the Law School, founded Liberia’s first law school.

Tubman said that Harvard and the U.S. feel a special bond to Liberia because of “the tie of blood”—a reference to the thousands of American slaves who returned to Liberia after emancipation....

continued here: http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2011/9/19/harvard-tubman-school-liberia/

cherryblossom

Feb 28, 2009
The American Colonization Society (ACS), also known as the American Society for Colonizing the Free People of Color in the United States, emerged in 1816 as a national organization dedicated to promoting the manumission of the enslaved and the settlement of free blacks in West Africa, specifically in the colony of Liberia. The ACS transported approximately 12,000 blacks to Liberia over the course of its existence. ...

.....The society's program focused on purchasing and freeing slaves, paying their passage (and that of free blacks) to the west coast of Africa, and assisting them after their arrival there. The federal government provided some initial funding for the Society and helped the ACS purchase the Cape Mesurado area off the coast of West Africa which subsequently became the colony of Liberia. In 1830 the government ended its payments to the ACS; from then on the colonization program was financed exclusively by local and state branches and from churches. In 1838 the ACS adopted a new constitution, one in which the organization became a federation of state auxiliaries.

Between 1820 and 1831 nearly 3,000 black emigrants went to the ACS’s settlement in Liberia. By the mid 1830s though, negative reports from previous emigrants and improving economic conditions for blacks in the United States led to a decline in the Society’s ability to recruit new emigrants.
In 1847, Liberia declared its independence from the American Colonization Society. As the only western-oriented nation on the African continent, Liberia attracted another 2,000 settlers between 1848 and 1860. It was inactive during the American Civil War as African Americans gained their freedom and thus saw no reason to emigrate...

COMPLETE HERE:

http://www.blackpast.org/?q=aah/american-colonization-society-1816-1964

mywordsfly

Nov 11, 2012
I watched this documentary once. An easy 50 minute watch, or should I say hard for content? But not long at all and appears very informative.

It changed me. In specific the sequence of the boy who appears to be no more than 15 smoking crack I believe, and then speaking in detail of a woman he had raped at gunpoint.

It was also interesting for me to learn that when they were brought back to Africa, they immediately enslaved the Africans living there.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr Liberia : Liberia coronavirus lockdown off to chaotic start Liberia 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Liberia : Liberia's Weah faces key test with protests over economy Liberia 4
Perfection Liberia : In Context Series: Self-Determination in Colonial Liberia and American Black Nationalism Liberia 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Liberia : Pressure grows in Liberia over US charity in 'school rape' storm Liberia 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Liberia : Liberia slaps travel bans on 15 people as it probes missing cash Liberia 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Liberia : Meet The Multi-millionaire Who Wants To Be President Of Liberia replacing Ellen Johnson Sirleaf Liberia 18
jamesfrmphilly Black People : from-detroit-to-liberia-why-i-left-america-to-find-home Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Liberia : EXCLUSIVE: LIBERIA'S VICE-PRESIDENT BACKS DONALD TRUMP ON FOREIGN AID CUTS Liberia 5
Destee Liberia : The Story of the Sirleaf Market Women's Fund of Liberia Liberia 1
jamesfrmphilly Liberia : War crimes court upholds 50 years for Liberia’s Charles Taylor Liberia 3
cherryblossom Liberia : Liberia, PA (Mercer County) Former Fugitive Slave Town Liberia 11
Full Speed Liberia : Liberia, What can be done? Liberia 16
Ankhur Liberia : President of Liberia rallies a wake up call about Vulture funds, exloiting Africa Liberia 1
jamesfrmphilly Liberia : miss liberia Liberia 1
P Liberia : Liberia sex-for-aid 'widespread' Liberia 9
K Liberia : war in liberia Liberia 0
Mad Skillz Liberia : Can democracy succeed in Liberia? Not if Pat Robertson has anything to do with it. Liberia 2
P Liberia : International soccer star, George Weah, runs for president of Liberia! Liberia 0
K Liberia : Reading on Liberia Liberia 1
Queenie Liberia : NEXT! America vs. Liberia Liberia 3
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : 'My Nigerian great-grandfather sold slaves' African American History Culture 1
HODEE Black Entertainment : 2Pac - Black Cotton _ Why do we work like slaves sweatin' blades to an early grave Black Entertainment 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : 'The Slaves Dread New Year's Day the Worst': The Grim History of January 1 African American History Culture 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : Harvard University sued over allegedly profiting from the earliest photos of American Slaves Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Perfection Black People Politics : Staged Freedom, Gimmicks & Parallels: 5 Arguments Showing How Blacks Are Sill Slaves Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Thomas Jefferson Owned Hundreds of Slaves—Now a Black Woman Will Run His Foundation African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Female slaves were forced to wear headwraps because white women were jealous Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 2
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Abraham Lincoln's Secret Visits to Slaves African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Mauritania : The abolitionist fighting to free Mauritania's slaves Mauritania 0
Destee African American History Culture : Is It Wrong to Mention Black People Owned Slaves? African American History Culture 15
dazania African American History Culture : Black Americans Were Never Slaves African American History Culture 38
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : The Ancestors Speak: A Conversation Between Former Slaves And Union General Sherman African American History Culture 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Bill O’Reilly says White House slaves ‘were well-fed and had decent lodgings’ Black People Politics 6
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Michelle Obama Keeps It Real: 'I Wake Up In a House Built By Slaves' Black People Open Forum 6
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Education / Schools : 'Dishonest' Book About Happy Slaves Pulled From Shelves Black Education / Schools 0
HODEE Black People : Textbook Company to Update Description of Slaves as ‘Workers’ After Criticism Black People Open Forum 3
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Slaves were fed like Pigs AACOOLDRE 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : DNA analysis traces African slaves back to their roots Science and Technology 15
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : Hollywood’s Blacks: Servants, Slaves, Ghetto Moms and Thugs Black Entertainment 19
crwn Black People : Who Brought the Slaves to America? Black People Open Forum 4
1poetsought Black Poetry : Mental Slaves Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
HODEE Black People : The Dirty Truth Is... I freed a thousand slaves I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew Black People Open Forum 7
rapchild Ghana : Slaves Castles in Ghana, West Africa. Ghana 8
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Descendants of slaves hold out against coal mining Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : 234 years later, NH slaves are granted freedom Black People Open Forum 8
S Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Kanye West - New Slaves (Live on SNL) Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
PurpleMoons Audio Video Web Conferencing : Kanye West Premieres "New Slaves" at Prada Fifth Ave. Audio Video Web Conferencing 13
cherryblossom Sierra Leone : Sierra Leone and the slaves who returned to Africa... Sierra Leone 7
F Africa : The Moors of North Africa and the White Slaves All Things Africa 17
ckoolbreez Black People : How Many Slaves Work 4 U? Black People Open Forum 5