Leaving The Nest

CarrieMonet

Dec 26, 2003
Seattle
Occupation
Love my job!
My daughter will begin her senior year of high school next week. She and I have had many discussions about her choice of college and future career.

But she feels she is not ready to be an adult.

I suppose this is the first time I've felt stumped in regards to what type of advice to give her for transitioning from childhood to adulthood. She will not be moving out until she is ready...but she is scared to death to be called an adult.

Any advice?

queentswana

Jan 24, 2004
Brick City
Occupation
day care provider (own business)
Conciter yourself "Blessed" ...in every sense of the word. You must have did a h*ll of a job raising her, do you have any Idea how many kids at the age of 12, 13, 14 who conciter there self grown and on their own, and I need not tell you the activities that come along with it. Your daughter has always (I'm guessing) had "Your wings" to nest on, not yet aware that she will one day use her own wings to soar, it's not a biggie yet for her to feel the pleasure of being an adult, so continue to conversate with her and it's very, very important to make this statement to her: (in your own words of course)

"My presious child/daughter/young queen...When, and only when the time is right for you to assume the responibility of "adulthood...you will be the first to know and feel it, and when that time comes, and you decide to spread your wings, always remember that..."Mother's wings are always...under yours"

please tell your daughter that her "forum family" is having a CONGRATULATIONS toast :toast: :toast: to her future, and Mom, surely you don't go un-noticed for a job well done :bowdown:

CarrieMonet

Dec 26, 2003
Seattle
Occupation
Love my job!
Great advice Queen,
I suppose I feel I am to blame for my daughter's apprehension, I've stressed to her SO much throughout her life that she needs to be a kid and enjoy childhood that now she is just down right scared. She was relieved when I told her that she didn't have to move out. I mean I have a 5 bedroom house and don't need to be there alone.

Hopefully over the next 9 months we'll be able to work on her accepting the next stage in life. I don't want her to feel as if I'm pushing her into becoming a full fledged adult, I just want her to recognize the fact that she will have to be a little more responsible for HERSELF.

queentswana

Jan 24, 2004
Brick City
Occupation
day care provider (own business)
CarrieMonet said:
Great advice Queen,
I suppose I feel I am to blame for my daughter's apprehension, I've stressed to her SO much throughout her life that she needs to be a kid and enjoy childhood that now she is just down right scared. She was relieved when I told her that she didn't have to move out. I mean I have a 5 bedroom house and don't need to be there alone.

Hopefully over the next 9 months we'll be able to work on her accepting the next stage in life. I don't want her to feel as if I'm pushing her into becoming a full fledged adult, I just want her to recognize the fact that she will have to be a little more responsible for HERSELF.

That is so correct and right...good luck.

MississippiRed

Aug 11, 2004
carriemonet let her stay as long as she has to really I'm not at that stage yet and pray we make it there but you are truly blessed I know so many that never made it to 17 .....just let her make her own mind up you know..man when I turned 18 Mamanem said you ain't working and ain't in school..whatcha gon do....I broke and headed for CA....still trying to be an adult...enjoy her while she's there for real....

Mississippi Red

Destee Chat

Latest profile posts

Destee wrote on Joyce's profile.
Thanks for the Blessing! Love You! :kiss:
Making sure I do more than I did yesterday. Progress is the Concept.
Ms Drea wrote on yahsistah's profile.
Welcome Back Sister!!
Love and Blessings!!
Hey Sister Destee just logged in to say Love you and miss you much! Hope you are well.
Destee wrote on candeesweet's profile.
Hi Sweetie Pie Honey Bunch!!!! :love: ... it's good to see you! I hope you and yours are all well and staying safe. I Love You! :kiss: