Black Poetry : Learning Tools

islander

REGISTERED MEMBER
Oct 6, 2003
This piece was written a while back when I was in a poetry slam and didn't do very well. It's definitely a performance piece so excuse the mic and stage references. It's about how the other poets treated me after the fact and just my general idea of how cruel a poetry scene can be. Pardon the language, but I was upset at the time!!! Enjoy!

Learning Tools

I'm not as stupid as I used to be...or so I thought
I'm supposed to get smarter as life gets harder, but in my case...I guess not
I'm still doing stupid things like,
Letting men break my heart,
Not thinking before I talk,
And walking into walls of uncertainty that makes me lose track of my thoughts
But I 'm supposed to be so smart
Smarter than the average humanoid
My mother trained me to be null and void of people who constantly perpetrate negativity
And to hide the key to my self esteem deep within me
But my own father burglarized my self esteem and had a funny way of swallowing my pride for me
Leaving me empty and seemingly hopeless of filling the cup of my pride back up
But his insensitivity made me look at other people objectively
Keeping my eyes wide open and stepping lightly so I can hear the sharpening of the knife by the backstabber walking 2 steps behind me

But I'm not as dumb as I used to be
My smile is wide but my soul is deep enough to read the souls of my enemies
Old enough to pick up on your trickery
And wise enough to make you think you're pimpin' me when I'm really bi**hing you
I've played my cards in I-De-Clare-WAR and life always holds the deuce
But it hasn't beaten me yet so I d**n sure won't let you

But to tell you the truth...I'm still a little stuck on stupid
Because I'm surrounded by people that do so much backbiting that they forget to chew
They swallow souls up whole but don't really consume...they just let it stew
Just long enough for you to give up so they can spit it right back at you
If you don't know what I mean, then I'll put it in bold letters for you
I'm talking about this poetry scene

Right now, someone thinks that I don't deserve to get on a mic
That I'm too much of a f**k up to get this poetry s**t right
That I can't keep track of my thoughts long enough to get my point across...and you are absolutely right
My mind spans the globe so it's hard for me to stay focused
Sometimes I get choked up on my verbs and forget my words
But instead of constructive criticism, I get a thumbs-up and fake compliments like..."You did good!"

If I stink I'd rather you hand me a bar of soap than smell me from a distance and turn up your nose
I will not explode if you tell me to reconsider my flow or to practice a little more
But ya'll don't give a f**k because you think I'm up here just trying to get a nut
And you know what....YES-I-AM!!
I wanna nut until my brain bleeds so I can spread knowledge like an infectious disease
Because an orgasm is all in your mind, you see

But I want you to understand that your applause won't make me come...
Your praise won't make me come...
Being on a stage will not make me come...
But your backbiting....your backbiting will make me come HARD
Hard enough for my soul to bust
Hard enough for you to think you just busted a nut
I wanna come so strong that you will smell it on your clothes FOREVER....FOREVER EVER...FOREVER EVER? (OutKast)

Yeah, I want you to remember
Remember where I started
Remember when I fell flat on my face and how hard you laughed
Remember that I got back up
Remember that I always tried in spite of
And most importanly, remember when I spread my wings
Because that's when your faking and your backbiting meant nothing
And I've finally made this poetry thing count for something
Something bigger than me and my stupidity
Just big enough to see my enemies clearly as well as my future
Whether it be as a writer or a teacher...
Either way, I refused to be hindered by the spitefulness of other...because I'm smarter than that

If need be, I'll be the sole proletariat of this poetry community
Just to spread revolution of the mind and society
But, until then, I will continue to spread knowledge from God...to thought...to ink...to paper...to word...spoken word.

Copyrighted by Tamara Al-Rashid 2003

gempis

REGISTERED MEMBER
May 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Occupation
strength coach
this is not the declaration of independence - it's the declaration of strength. phenomenal work. sure wish we could hear you read it.

triniti424

REGISTERED MEMBER
May 13, 2003
Bay Area, CA
Occupation
Servant of the People
yo islander...
my sista where have you been all this time??!!??
holdin back this tyteness when we been here awaitin' :wave:
I know what u mean when people underestimate your minds span...but thas all good...it takes good people to know good people...those perpetrators were a waste of ya time...you are betta off without em my sista :)
flow on...please lol :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Black Education / Schools : Afrocentric Learning Tools Black Education / Schools 6
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : A Megachurch Reels After Learning Pastor Let His Professed Pedophile Son Work With Kids Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
N African Traditional Religion : Learning/adopting Ifa African Traditional Religion Study Group 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : No new 'learning' brain cells after age 13: study Science and Technology 10
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Education / Schools : American Students Aren't Learning The Full Truth About Slavery Black Education / Schools 37
Gorilla Science and Technology : Exploit Exercises - Computer Security Learning Resource Science and Technology 1
dunwiddat Black People : Black Folks Still Not Learning Black People Open Forum 2
MsInterpret Black People : What is your learning style? Black People Open Forum 12
Gorilla Computers - Software Hardware : 20+ Resources for Learning Programming/Computing Online Science and Technology 1
Gorilla Computers - Software Hardware : Stanford Offering Three Open Classes: Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Databases Science and Technology 4
Gorilla Computers - Software Hardware : DIY Computer Science (Learning Community): The Elements of Computing Systems Science and Technology 1
Destee We Are Learning This Together Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 8
Afroerotik Black Parenting : Learning to Love Black Parenting 2
Ankhur Black Spirituality Religion : Learning the ABCs for Black Teens Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 21
Gorilla Science and Technology : Khan Academy (Another self-learning resource) Science and Technology 0
Ankhur Black People : Now they tell us Ritalin "boosts" Learning????? Black People Open Forum 2
P Black Spirituality Religion : How Are You At Living and Learning? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
howardtsu Black Poetry : Learning to Guess Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
asimplepoet Black Poetry : Learning 2 love again Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
Destee Science and Technology : Learning HTML / Handling Traffic Science and Technology 7
howardtsu Black Poetry : Learning to Stay Away Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
D Black Haiku : learning vanu.... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
D Metu Neter - Vols I - II - III : Anyone gonna participate in the Distance Learning program that the AAS is offering? Metu Neter - Vols I - II - III Study Group 2
anAfrican Africa : Learning/Sharing the Nations of Africa All Things Africa 0
anAfrican Ghana : Ghana; Education: President Challenges Higher Learning Institutions Ghana 0
S Black Poetry : Higher Learning Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
Destee Pan-Africanism : Monique Maddy - Learning to Love Africa Pan-Africanism - African Diaspora 8
anAfrican Science and Technology : Learning Electronics Together? Science and Technology 11
I Africa : AFrican languages and learning them. All Things Africa 9
F African American History Culture : Learning on Kemet African American History Culture 4
MzBlkAngel Black Poetry : Learning to Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 12
K Black People : Learning another language Black People Open Forum 1
L Black Poetry : Learning to Love Me Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
L Black Poetry : Learning about Mistakes.. Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
E Quiet Poetry Lounge : Learning Experiences Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
A Destee Network : 1 Week trial of 700+ e-learning courses Destee Network : 0
S Black Poetry : Learning From The Best Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
A Black Spirituality Religion : What books/tools should a person use to study the old testament? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
RAPTOR Black People : Kidnapped Girls Become Tools of U.S. Imperial Policy in Africa Black People Open Forum 11
skuderjaymes Black Christians : Reading the Bible in Hebrew.. (and some Hebrew language tools) Christian Study Group 9
Destee Health and Wellness : Dirty Surgical Tools Putting Patients At Risk Black Health and Wellness 4
Amnat77 Black Spirituality Religion : Are Crystals Tools of Darkness and Evil? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
Ankhur Black People : Kemet 2011/ show Discussion Boards as Tools for Nationalism and Unity Black People Open Forum 1
Gorilla Science and Technology : Tools to teach programming to children Science and Technology 1
Ankhur Black Spirituality Religion : Luciferianism and Satanism, the tools of White Supremacy Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 39
S Black Spirituality Religion : Some Tools of the Witch or Magickal Practitioner Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 6
T Black People : Tools for the Practice of Step 11 Black People Open Forum 3
Metaverse Black Spirituality Religion : TOOLS FOR THE PSYCHIC DREAMER Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 30
W Science and Technology : Video Tools Science and Technology 1
A Africa : LANGUAGE: TOOLS OF SELF-DETERMINATION FOR A NEW AFRICAN REALITY... All Things Africa 11