Kenya : Kenya signs infrastructure, energy deals worth $5 bln with China

Aug 30, 2013
"Gbenie" a unique type of wood that is second only to ebony in richness, is now being ruthlessly pillaged from the country few remaining forests in Sierra Leone.

LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - In particular, the western African nation of Sierra Leone has fallen prey time and again to others who wish to strip the land of its natural bounty. Nine years ago, when the nation was in the midst of a civil war, interlopers sought to pillage Sierra Leone's diamond mines.

Now at peace, a possible new agent of war has emerged. "Gbenie" a unique type of wood that is second only to ebony in richness, is now being ruthlessly pillaged from the country few remaining forests.

Timber has taken the place of diamonds throughout much of Africa. The country's forests are now at risk of being completely wiped out.

Chinese companies working in Sierra Leone lead the pack in deforestation. Logging companies have been destroying the country's forests, plundering natural resources and causing environmental problems. Worst of all, it is mostly being done illegally with local Sierra Leoneans operating as the front men for the foreigners.
"it is mostly being done illegally with local Sierra Leoneans operating as the front men"

Wouldn't this be "masturbation"? Can I presume you are opposed to agreements with China based on the scrupulous actions of companies based there?

To ensure we are on the same page, would you mind defining the term "rape" in regard to a continent?

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Wouldn't this be "masturbation"?

To ensure we are on the same page, would you mind defining the term "rape" in regard to a continent?

Did you overlook this: being ruthlessly pillaged

Its your turn now to ensure we are in concert, explain how you interpret rape of a continent.

Could you elaborate on how Africa was "raped"?
Uncle Ruckus(no relation)

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2013
I suggest you read two books.

How Europe underdeveloped Africa by Walter Rodney and the Destruction of Black Civilization by Chancellor Williams. Two different perspectives analyzing the same phenomena.
"How Europe Underdeveloped Africa"

That's an interesting title considering Europe is largely responsible for the developed Africa. Electricity, plumbing, cars, planes, trains, modern construction, roads, telephones, etc. were brought into Africa by foreigners. Undeveloped areas have inhabitants who are still living in one story straw and mud huts to this day. The entire southern continent could just have easily been left in that state with no development whatsoever. But, ultimately, isn't it up to Africans to develop Africa? I may be misinterpreting, but it sounds like you are implying that Africans are entitled to European assistance in the endeavor of rivaling Europe?

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
"How Europe Underdeveloped Africa"

That's an interesting title considering Europe is largely responsible for the developed Africa. Electricity, plumbing, cars, planes, trains, modern construction, roads, telephones, etc. were brought into Africa by foreigners. Undeveloped areas have inhabitants who are still living in one story straw and mud huts to this day. The entire southern continent could just have easily been left in that state with no development whatsoever. But, ultimately, isn't it up to Africans to develop Africa? I may be misinterpreting, but it sounds like you are implying that Africans are entitled to European assistance in the endeavor of rivaling Europe?

I'm not implying anything. I suggested two books for reading that address the question you posed.

Later.

Aug 30, 2013
Did you overlook this: being ruthlessly pillaged

Its your turn now to ensure we are in concert, explain how you interpret rape of a continent.

Could you elaborate on how Africa was "raped"?
No, I'm afraid I cannot. I am not implying the continent is being "raped". So I need others, who insist this quote on quote "raping" is occurring across the continent, to define this phenomenon. So whatever you define it as is what we will go with.

You mentioned "being ruthlessly pillaged". However, in the very article you used as an example the timber in question wasn't being pillaged. The local people were willingly taking part in the deforestation.

Aug 30, 2013
I'm not implying anything. I suggested two books for reading that address the question you posed.

Later.
You are correct. My mistake. I assumed you agreed with the message of the two books.

Thanks, but I'm not going to buy and read two books in order to get a simple answer to a simple question directed to a member(s) of this forum. I was looking for the views held here, not those of some author who is not here to support or defend his work.

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
No, I'm afraid I cannot. So whatever you define it as is what we will go with.

You mentioned "being ruthlessly pillaged". However, in the very article you used as an example the timber in question wasn't being pillaged. The local people were willingly taking part in the deforestation.

Since rape equals being ruthlessly pillaged, largely because you have no idea how a continent is raped; pillage then, explains how a continent is raped.

Pillage makes no distinction of its players, its pillage.

I trust you now have a better understanding.

So I need others, who insist this quote on quote "raping" is occurring across the continent, to define this phenomenon. So whatever you define it as is what we will go with.
Uncle Ruckus(no relation)

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2013
Since rape equals being ruthlessly pillaged, largely because you have no idea how a continent is raped; pillage then, explains how a continent is raped.

Pillage makes no distinction of its players, its pillage.

I trust you now have a better understanding.
Well, as I understand the word, "pillage" implies the use of force. No force is being used. The native populace seem eager to give away the resources in exchange for payment. I saw no indication that the local government is putting up any kind of fight to stop the logging?

Where else is this pillaging taking place?

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author

:huh2: ... Thanks for correcting the double post without a reply, and then posting your reply above.

Last edited:

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Well, as I understand the word, "pillage" implies the use of force. No force is being used. The native populace seem eager to give away the resources in exchange for payment. I saw no indication that the local government is putting up any kind of fight to stop the logging?

Where else is this pillaging taking place?

Here's a better understanding ... The term, especially, implies a non use of force, while describing pillage as the act of looting or plundering.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pillage

Definition of PILLAGE

: the act of looting or plundering especially in war
: something taken as booty
See pillage defined for kids »

Last edited:

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

sekou kasimu wrote on willa's profile.
What exactly is your ideology?!
I'll be honest. I like black culture forums, so I've signed up for this one, BX, and Lipstick Alley. I won't post too often, only on things that I'm really interested in. Nice to meet you. :)
Ms Drea wrote on butterfly#1's profile.
Hi Sister,
Miss you so much I hope all is well with you and yours!!
Love and Blessings!! :heart: :heart:
You can skip rocks across water but if you're not building yourself up rock solid, you'll drown under pressure.
11-5-19✍
Fireman wrote on Queenie's profile.
Hi, Queenie. Love your posts. Even though I don't you, you must be some kind of remarkable and lovely person. Lets keep in touch.