going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
:great:

Juneteenth, official end to U.S. slavery, remembered at Detroit festival
Bill Laitner, Detroit Free Press

Known as Juneteenth, it’s a key moment in African-American history that has drawn only modest notice in Michigan but which black Texans have celebrated for more than a century each mid-June...

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2018/06/16/juneteenth-slavery-emancipation-texas-civil-war/708023002/

(Photo: Eric Seals, Detroit Free Press)

Members of the Gabriel Brass Band, from left, Xavier Bonner, Wayne Henry, Zack Orton and Dameon Gabriel, all of Detroit, play during the Juneteenth festival in the Brush Park neighborhood in Detroit on Saturday, June 16, 2018. The festival celebrates the end of slavery in 1865. (Photo: Eric Seals, Detroit Free Press)

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
...So why should we celebrate a day when Texas slaves found out that they were free as if the rest of the slaves found out that they were also freed on that same date too? Let the African Americans in Texas celebrate their own day of freedom and enjoy it.

Partly because, Juneteenth is the oldest known celebration ending slavery in America. Moreover, as many as 36 states recognize and observe Juneteenth as a State Holiday.

Fireman

May 19, 2017
Partly because, Juneteenth is the oldest known celebration ending slavery in America. Moreover, as many as 36 states recognize and observe Juneteenth as a State Holiday.

I see the point but I disagree. Juneteenth is the oldest known celebration ending slavery in America but slaves in other states had already celebrated their freedom. And it doesn't matter if 36 states have recognize and observe Juneteenth as a State Holiday. A date is needed where all Africans can celebrate their liberation as one or as in one date that can apply to all and all have the meaning to all. Juneteenth is special in Texas and African American Texans consider it their own special day of liberation (I use to live in Texas and I celebrated it with them but it had more meaning to them than it had to me). Again we need a date where all African Americans can consider it a special day.

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
I see the point but I disagree. Juneteenth is the oldest known celebration ending slavery in America but slaves in other states had already celebrated their freedom. And it doesn't matter if 36 states have recognize and observe Juneteenth as a State Holiday. A date is needed where all Africans can celebrate their liberation as one or as in one date that can apply to all and all have the meaning to all. Juneteenth is special in Texas and African American Texans consider it their own special day of liberation (I use to live in Texas and I celebrated it with them but it had more meaning to them than it had to me). Again we need a date where all African Americans can consider it a special day.

Well, Richard R. Wright was successful in lobbying for National Freedom Day, to be celebrated on the first day of February. Truman signed it into law in June of 1948, but it did not manifest into a federal holiday.

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author

Tuesday is Juneteenth -- a holiday most Americans have never heard of, but need to know about

By Jeremy Hunt

FoxNews.com
Many black Americans will commemorate an important day in our nation’s history Tuesday – a day that many other Americans have never heard of. It’s called Juneteenth. Although considered an official holiday in Texas since 1980, Juneteenth still goes largely unrecognized by our country as a whole, that’s too bad.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/06/18/tuesday-is-juneteenth-holiday-most-americans-have-never-heard-but-need-to-know-about.print.html

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
'All slaves are free': The U.S. general who ordered 'absolute equality' of races
BY BUD KENNEDY

FORT WORTH
Freedom came to Texas 153 years ago today, yet Juneteenth is partly a mystery.
Turns out U.S. Army Maj. Gen. Gordon Granger didn’t just restate President Abraham Lincoln’s 1863 proclamation, Granger added more.

http://www.star-telegram.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/bud-kennedy/article213406019.html

Maj. Gen. Gordon Granger's General Orders No. 3 ordered "absolute equality."
U.S. war records
https://www.star-telegram.com/latest-news/article156752014.html

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
The story from 1931 we still need to hear on Juneteenth
By Ellen Gruber Garvey

...Between 1928 and 1931, Zora Neale Hurston spent months getting to know the last survivor of the last slave ship to land in the United States, and wrote up their conversations. The resulting work, "Barracoon," has finally been published over 80 years later after spending decades in Howard University's library.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/19/opinions/juneteenth-zora-neale-hurston-barracoon-and-white-supremacy-myths-garvey-opinion/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+rss/cnn_topstories+(RSS:+CNN+-+Top+Stories)

Portrait of author Zora Neale Hurston, circa 1940s

What the white supremacist view of history leaves out

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
All I can do is :facepalm:

Trump commemorates Juneteenth with tone-deaf statement
The president praised the "brave individuals" who "fought to defend the God-given rights of those unjustly held in bondage."
MELANIE SCHMITZ

...Trump’s statement, which was not shared or echoed anywhere on his personal Twitter account, comes at a remarkable time as his administration holds thousands of undocumented immigrant families, forcefully separated from one another, in cages at the U.S. southern border.

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-issues-tone-deaf-juneteenth-statement-2772774ae261-3257a2c1b23f/

:picture:
upload_2018-6-20_10-56-44.png
PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP ISSUES A TONE-DEAF STATEMENT TO MARK THE JUNETEENTH HOLIDAY, AS THOUSANDS OF IMMIGRANTS ARE HELD IN CAGES AT THE U.S. SOUTHERN BORDER. (CREDIT: BRENDAN SMIALOWSKI/AFP/GETTY IMAGES)

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author

Fireman

May 19, 2017

Well, Richard R. Wright was successful in lobbying for National Freedom Day, to be celebrated on the first day of February. Truman signed it into law in June of 1948, but it did not manifest into a federal holiday.

National Freedom as Richard Wright proposed that February 1, (resolution was signed by President Lincoln on said date in 1865) be a day that we celebrate the freedom of all slaves. However, that day only put in motion a resolution to abolish slavery. To make it law Congress would have to ratify it, which they did on December 6, 1865. That is the date that legally ended slavery, except for a crime, in the U.S. The Emancipation Proclamation signed into law only freed slaves in the states that were in rebellion to the U.S. It did not end or free slaves in border states which were not rebelling against the U. S. such as Maryland, Kentucky, Missouri and Delaware. Again General Granger brought the news to Texas (Galveston) that the slaves in Texas as in the rest of the U.S. were free by telling them of the Emancipation Proclamation. In other words, the slaves in Texas heard of the news two years later after in had been put into law.

After the Emancipation Proclamation, slaves could run away and make it to the union lines. They didn't have to worry about the Dred Scott Decision that stated that slaves had no right and were still property of their owner and must be returned to their owner. However, since the Emancipation Proclamation was signed into law on January 1, 1863, it would be hard to celebrate a day of freedom commemorating the end of slavery because that is New Year's Day. And just because African Americans in Texas learned of their freedom on June 19, 1865, doesn't mean that all African Americans have to celebrate their freedom on that same date when they already knew of their freedom. Furthermore, the even after the Emancipation Proclamation was put into law, the majority of plantation owners still refused to release their slaves. It was only after the Civil War had ended that they could leave.

There is a city in Georgia that celebrates their (African Americans) day of freedom on April 16. That is when Federal troops defeated the last resistance of Confederate troops. And there is not way that they are going to stop celebrating that day and start celebrating their day of freedom on June 19.

We as African Americans have to stop jumping on any bandwagon which makes us happy to just be celebrating something. And it doesn't matter what famous person thinks what we should do. We have to come together and find something that all can celebrate without giving up our local traditions or celebrations. And I truly believe that it should be December 6. That date applies of all African Americans in every state and city.

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

Ms Drea wrote on Kemetstry's profile.
Brother Kem.. Marva Collins passed June 24, 2015
Sister Destee how have you been? It's been a while but I'm glad to be back. I see many changes so I'll browse around to get my feel of things again
sekou kasimu wrote on Destee's profile.
Jambo! I deleted a post that was a duplication. Both were deleted!!! Can you find it and repost it for me? I put a lot of work into it!
Destee wrote on shaka64's profile.
Hi Brother shaka64 ... Welcome Home! :heart:
Destee, my Sister!! I am sending you greetings with love from a rainy and relentless overcast Michigan! But you continue to bring sunshine into my life and for that I am eternally grateful! I LOVE the new look and features in the community. I hope you're enjoying your best life. Love and peace...:heart: