African American History Culture : Jerry Butler Profile of a Mississippi Artist

Isaiah

Jun 8, 2004
MississippiRed said:
Aight folk let's change gears henh fo a tick......thought I'd put up the profile of an Artist from Mississippi whose work I really really like....not sure if yall heard of him or not but he's fire....we don't hear a lot about Black Artists so let's jump this off check out my man Jerry Butler

http://www.graphicclassics.com/pgs/butler.htm

MississippiRed

Hey, Red, this brother is BAD, man!(smile!)

When I opened up this thread I'm thinkin', "oh, he's talkin' bout Jerry Butler of the Impressions, and Only The Strong Survive fame!" Whaaaaa? Then there are TWO Jerry Butler's from Mississippi, huh - and both un 'em some bad catx... Wow, the man is a superb artist whom I've never heard about... Glad you brought him to our attention... It's ironic, because I was thinking about bringing some Jacob Lawrence and Romare Bearden articles up in here, and I didn't know how that would go over... Now, I don't feel so unsure... Thanx for this beautiful artilce on the is beautfiul African American artist, brother...

BTW, the other Jerry Butler was born down in Sunflower County, and so was Sam Cooke(smile!)

Peace!
Isaiah

MississippiRed

Aug 11, 2004
Glad you enjoyed it bruh....old boy is truly talented.....I love his work...man you betta come on and put them artists up .....don't matter how the majority accepts it this is stuff that we need to pump....our artists doing pics of us know what I'm talkin bout.......there's another cat down there that's a master carver I'll have to find his info and put it up for you to check......

MississippiRed

cherryblossom

Feb 28, 2009
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/aaworld/arts/lawrence.html

header_lawrence.gif

Jacob Lawrence, one of the most important artists of the 20th century, was born in 1917 and is best known for his series of narrative paintings depicting important moments in African American history. Lawrence was introduced to art when in his early teens, Lawrence's mother enrolled him in Utopia Children's Center, which provided an after-school art program in Harlem.

By the mid-1930s, he was regularly participating in art programs at the Harlem Art Workshop and the Harlem Community Art Center where he was exposed to leading African American artists of the time, including Augusta Savage and Charles Alton, the director of the Harlem Art Workshop and, later, professor of art at Howard University. At the community art centers, Lawrence studied African art, Aaron Douglas's paintings and African American history. With the help and encouragement of Augusta Savage, Lawrence secured a scholarship to the American Artists School and later gained employment with the WPA, working as a painter in the easel division. Lawrence began painting in series format in the late 1930s, completing 41 paintings on the life of Toussaint L'Ouverture, the revolutionary who established the Haitian Republic. Other series followed on the lives of the abolitionists Frederick Douglass, Harriet Tubman, and John Brown.

The Migration of the Negro, one of his best known series, was completed in 1941. The most widely acclaimed African American artist of this century, Lawrence continued to paint until his death in 2000.

Related Artists:
Norman Lewis
spacer.gif

Migration of the Negro # 3 (1941)

The Migration of the Negro #17 (1941)

The Migration of the Negro # 58 (1941)

Jacob Lawrence on PBS & NPR

purple_npr.gif

All Things Considered: Jacob Lawrence Obituary

Morning Edition: Profile of Jacob Lawrence

purple_pbs.gif

Online NewsHour: Remembering Jacob Lawrence

Goin' to Chicago: The Art and Life of Jacob Lawrence

spacer.gif

cherryblossom

Feb 28, 2009
The first in-depth catalog of work by one of the South's finest African American wood carvers

In the early 1950s, Ulysses Davis (1914-1990) opened a barbershop he built behind his home in Savannah, Georgia. A whittler since boyhood, he soon began carving figures from wood in his spare time. He decorated the outside of his barbershop and filled the inside with his reliefs and freestanding carvings. During his lifetime, Davis created more than three hundred works, producing a varied but unified body of wood sculpture that reflects his faith, humor, and dignity.
Davis's sculptures range in height from six to more than forty inches, and can be divided into several major categories: religious images, patriotism, works influenced by African forms, abstract decorative objects, and portraits of African and American leaders. The latter includes what many regard as Davis's masterwork--a series of forty carved busts of all the U.S. presidents through George H. W. Bush. Because the artist rarely sold his sculptures, his carvings have had limited exposure outside of Georgia. Davis wanted his work to stay together after he died, and most of his sculpture is now held by the King-Tisdell Cottage Foundation in Savannah.
The Treasure of Ulysses Davis accompanies an exhibition organized by the High Museum of Art, Atlanta. The definitive introduction to Davis's work, the book features full-color reproductions of 120 sculptures.
....http://www.upress.state.ms.us/books/1154

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
shaka64 Audio Video Web Conferencing : Jerry Butler - Ain't Understanding Mellow (1971) Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Destee Audio Video Web Conferencing : Jerry Butler - Only The Strong Survive Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
CosmicMessenger Audio Video Web Conferencing : Jerry Butler & the Impressions - For Your Precious Love 1958 Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : Jerry Springer says Trump 'took my show and brought it to the White House' Black Entertainment 0
R Black Poetry : HE SAID: Some of these girls begin to carry BEN AND JERRY ice cream // It's free today be a nice que Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 16
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : you to, jerry rice ? Black People Politics 2
Miss SelinaUK Audio Video Web Conferencing : Media: Ice Cube says he's not losing sleep over Jerry Heller's death Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
SouthsideIrish Black People : Obama and Jerry Black People Open Forum 0
RAPTOR Black Sports : Cowboy's owner Jerry Jones Fondling 2 Ladies in Bathroom (Photos)? Black Sports 3
Destee Black Entertainment : If Jerry Springer or Maury Called You - Would You Go? Black Entertainment 18
Gorilla Science and Technology : Jerry Lawson, Inventor of the Game Cartridge passed away Science and Technology 1
Ankhur Black People : Jerry Springer's great great grandfather was a mulatto Black People Open Forum 3
$$RICH$$ Black Sports : Jerry Rice Black Sports 5
AACOOLDRE Black Poetry : Tom & Jerry Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Michelle Obama leads tributes to former White House butler who died from coronavirus Black People Doing Positive Things 1
S Black People : Octavia Butler - Speech Sound (Dystopian Story) Black People Open Forum 0
Fine1952 Black Entertainment : Lee Daniels, The Butler (2013) Black Entertainment 0
My Inner Most Thoughts The Front Porch : The Butler Did It The Front Porch 28
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : 'The Butler' stays on top with $17 million Black Entertainment 75
Alarm Clock Black Entertainment : FOLKS OUTRAGED AFTER MOVIE THEATER HIRES ARMED GUARDS FOR “THE BUTLER” - Black Entertainment 3
Enki Black Entertainment : Lee Daniels, The Butler Black Entertainment 386
RAPTOR Black People : Walton Henry Butler: "Only Shot A N----r" Black People Open Forum 5
$$RICH$$ Black Sports : BUTLER trade in the NFL for ICU Black Sports 0
MsInterpret Black Authors : Octavia E. Butler Short Stories - Authors - Writing 26
I Octavia Butler Honoring Black Ancestors 2
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : REV ALBERT CLEAGE profile black history month AACOOLDRE 3
LookingForward The Front Porch : How to edit profile properly. The Front Porch 2
Liberty Black Entertainment : Watch: Cicely Tyson Looks Back on Her Professional and Personal Life in CBS Profile Black Entertainment 0
Inanna Support : Posting Links on Profile Pages Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : An Aware Profile: Dr. Na'im Akbar Black People Doing Positive Things 1
R Black Poetry : Flow wild scriptures got profile pictures on my medallion Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Destee Support : Add - Promote Your Video On Your Profile Page Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 5
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Nobel Peace Prize: profile of Leymah Gbowee Black People Doing Positive Things 8
Destee The Front Porch : All Members Can Post to Profile Pages and Have Private Conversations! YAAAAY USSS !!! :) The Front Porch 5
Z I cannot update my profile Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 1
anAfrican Premium Members Only : Archiving Profile Page Premium Members Only 5
Zulile Premium Members Only : Avatars & Profile Editing Premium Members Only 1
P I can't Edit My Profile :-( Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 10
N Black Spirituality Religion : do i fit the profile? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 3
C Black People : My Profile Black People Open Forum 8
C Black Picture Image Gallery : how do you add a pic to your profile? Black Picture Image Gallery 3
Sekhemu Black Spirituality Religion : Another Profile in Black HRH Oba Adefunmi Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
P Nigeria : Profile: Nigeria's respected finance minister Nigeria 0
P Black People : Should Kente417Mojo remove Michael Jackson from his profile Black People Open Forum 36
D Black People : can someone tell me how to modify my profile Black People Open Forum 3
L my quote under my profile is gone is that because of the changes..? Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 1
A Black People : Could This Be The Profile of a Queen? Black People Open Forum 18
Destee HOW TO: Edit Your Profile Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 0
T quick question ( how do i change something in my profile Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 1
alyce Black Poetry : your profile~ Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9