Black People Politics : Jan. 7, 2008: The Day Hillary Clinton Lost the Black Vote

Liberty

Banned
Aug 28, 2015
78800718-democratic-presidential-hopeful-and-new-york-senator.jpg.CROP.rtstoryvar-medium.jpg

It was a long time ago in an America we would hardly recognize today: Jan. 7 of 2008. The main conversation around Bill Cosby was his conservative positions, not his choice of home beverage. Tracee Ellis Ross was still
Joan and not Rainbow. And Dr. Ben Carson was still just the best neurosurgeon in American history.

Presidential candidate, former first lady and Sen. Hillary Clinton came in a distant third to Sen. Barack Obama in the Iowa caucuses and was in the race of her life. The New Hampshire Democratic primary was the next day on Tuesday, Jan. 8; Clinton knew she was going to win, so the campaign was already looking 4,000 miles south to the crucial South Carolina Democratic primary.

Clinton was doing well in the polls in the Palmetto State; in late December of 2007 she was statistically tied with Obama 46 percent to 45 percent among African Americans, who made up half of the Democratic primary voters in South Carolina. If she could hold those numbers for just two more weeks, until the primary on Jan. 26, she would put Obama in a 2-1 hole and reclaim her crown as the inevitable candidate.

Instead, on Jan. 7, 2008, Clinton effectively killed her relationship with African-American voters
with one of the biggest gaffes of her political career. And she’s been digging herself out of a hole ever since. Eight years ago today, at a Dover, N.H., campaign rally, a supporter introduced Clinton with the
following line: “Some people compare one of the other candidates to John F. Kennedy. But he was assassinated. And Lyndon Baines Johnson was the one who actually” passed the civil rights legislation.

The introduction was a clear reference to the Kennedy-Martin Luther King Jr.-Obama comparisons that were popular at the time. The Clinton campaign was in a war of words with Obama, trying to paint him as the optimistic dreamer with no real experience, compared with Clinton’s ability to get things done in the real-world trenches. Nevertheless, the suggestion that a prominent African American with national political aspirations might be assassinated struck many voters, especially African-American voters, as the worst kind of race-baiting from the Clinton campaign.

Read more

http://www.theroot.com/articles/pol...on_lost_the_black_vote.html?wpisrc=topstories

Liberty

Banned
Aug 28, 2015
we are masochistic.....

I guess so. I hope you're wrong. But right now it looks that way. I think all those AA ministers who are standing in support for Clinton are a big problem for us. I am suspicious of their motives. And, they have the power to deliver whole congregations, people who rely on their judgment alone.

Then we even have the sillier Ministers trying to deliver our vets to Trump.

*smh*

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
OldSoul OldSoul : Visions with Voices is currently seeking submissions for Jan 2015 Edition OldSoul 0
Istari Black Events : Dick Gregory LIVE on LIBRadio Thursday Jan 20 Black Events 3
Amnat77 Sudan : A history of unity and division in Sudan - 09 Jan 08 Sudan 1
Ankhur Black People : Jan 10 Like It Is, Malcolm X special Black People Open Forum 1
3 Black Spirituality Religion : The Bull Romanus Pontifex(Nicholas V)Jan. 8 1455 Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
U Black People : Boley Call-in Continues Jan 2-4: Hands Off the Uhuru Movement Black People Open Forum 1
anAfrican Black People : R.I.P. Robert Smith Jan. 1, 1921 - Aug. 29, 2007 Black People Open Forum 6
S Remembering Dr. John H. Clarke - Jan. 1, 1915 - July 16, 1998 Honoring Black Ancestors 4
Bluewater Black Authors : Coldest Winter Ever(Jan 2004)Book Club Online Short Stories - Authors - Writing 7
Liberty Black People : How Did You Feel, How Did You React, In 2008, Compared to How You Feel Now? Black People Open Forum 5
shaka64 Audio Video Web Conferencing : Quincy Jones 75th Birthday Celebration live at Montreux 2008 Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
skuderjaymes Black People Politics : 2008 Presidential Candidate Debate: Obama and John McCain Black People Politics 0
Keita Kenyatta Black People Politics : Book: Obama Team Tried to Pay Rev. Wright $150K to Keep Quiet Until After 2008 Election Black People Politics 1
Ankhur Black Women : Erikah Badu; dropping Science at the Voodoo festival, New Orleans 2008 Black Women 7
Fine1952 Black People : Notable Deaths in 2008 Black People Open Forum 18
R Black Poetry : FOOT BALL (21 DEC 2008) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
H Black Jokes Humor : 2008 Black Jokes Humor 1
A Ghana : Adiama Sankofa Journey 2008 DVD Intro: Ghana, West Afrika Ghana 2
L Black People Politics : Obama's grandmother passes November 3, 2008 Black People Politics 2
jamesfrmphilly Black People : wassup? 2008 Black People Open Forum 0
river Black People : The October 2008 Oldsoul Genuis of the Month Award Goes To ...(the envelope, please) Black People Open Forum 5
Monetary Black People : On voting day: Nov 4, 2008 Black People Open Forum 3
OldSoul OldSoul : Resource link for class Aug 31, 2008 OldSoul 0
L Black Poetry : The Nadir 2008 Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
daroc Black Entertainment : cnn- black in america 2008 special Black Entertainment 0
$$RICH$$ Black Sports : BOSTON CELTICS 2008 CHAMPIONS Black Sports 3
$$RICH$$ Black Sports : 2008 NBA FINALS Black Sports 14
A Black Events : Summer Akan (Twi), Yorùbá and Wölöf Class Session Begins Week of June 9th, 2008 Black Events 0
$$RICH$$ Black Sports : 2007 - 2008 NBA's MVP Black Sports 9
A Ghana : SANKOFA JOURNEY 2008: LEARN TWI AS YOU JOURNEY THROUGH GHANA Ghana 2
T Black People : 2008 Elections~ Cancelled! Black People Open Forum 6
Destee Black Education / Schools : 2008 Ford Fellowship Recipient Black Education / Schools 2
$$RICH$$ Black Sports : 2008 NBA Playoff Showtime Black Sports 38
MANASIAC Brother's Only Chat : Brother Chat 2008 Black Men 9
S Black People : Saviours Day 2008:"The Gods at War " Black People Open Forum 0
Omowale Jabali Omowale Jabali : McCain Wins Election 2008! Omowale Jabali 6
OldSoul OldSoul : Class Resouces March 3, 2008 OldSoul 1
M Black Short Stories : ALL STAR WEEKEND 2008 Short Stories - Authors - Writing 2
Omowale Jabali Omowale Jabali : STATE OF THE BLACK UNION 2008 Omowale Jabali 17
D Poetry Critiques : 2008 - The Meridian Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
$$RICH$$ Black Sports : Congratulation NEW YORK GIANTS da 2008 CHAMPIONS Black Sports 2
Omowale Jabali Black Astrology : 2008--YEAR OF THE RAT Black Astrology 1
$$RICH$$ Black Authors : Anthology of Poetry 2008 (all Poet's welcome) Short Stories - Authors - Writing 38
M Black Poetry : 2008 ANOTHER NEW YEAR Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
D Black Poetry : The Joy and Da Heartache - 2008 Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 11
E Black People : The Civil Responsibility Movement Launching 21 January 2008 Black People Open Forum 26
D Black Poetry : 2008 - E-Turn-AL Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
MANASIAC Black People : 2008 Caimpaign Ad Black People Open Forum 0
Destee Black People : National ID - Real ID - Effective May, 2008 Black People Open Forum 7
D Black Education / Schools : Bush Federal funding 2008: Cuts to HSI and TCU; freeze for HBCU Black Education / Schools 0