Black People Politics : Is There Any Issue More Important Than Fighting Against Mass Incarceration?

Liberty

Banned
Aug 28, 2015
Maybe this is where the pedal hits the medal with the Democratic Candidates. What are your thoughts?

Liberty

Banned
Aug 28, 2015
.....It only took Hillary Clinton six months after first calling for sweeping criminal justice reform and an end to mass incarceration for her to announce on Thursday that she would no longer accept direct donations from private prison lobbyists...

Clinton's decision reportedly came after a series of meetings with several minority advocacy groups that have been demanding that 2016 candidates address the excesses of America's sprawling criminal justice system, including mass incarceration, overcrowded jails, and poor prison conditions, among other issues.

Clinton's Ready for Hillary PAC has received $133,246 from lobbying firms linked to GEO and CCA. That figure was slightly lower than the $133,450 Rubio's PACs and campaign have accepted from private prison companies or groups that lobby on their behalf.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/h-a-goodman/hillary-clinton-reparations_b_9047760.html

Liberty

Banned
Aug 28, 2015
Let us agree to disagree that this suggest she's really on board as regards true reform of this nation's one sided and self serving so called war on drug dealers etc.
Not sure what you mean. You say "she", and that is actually Bernie Sanders. Nonetheless, my position has changed slightly. I am still voting for Sanders, but I don't think he will be as effective as I had wished. (see below)

Liberty

Banned
Aug 28, 2015
Bernie Sanders' Plan to Fight Mass Incarceration Doesn't Add Up

Bernie Sanders is pledging big things when it comes to criminal justice reform, vowing that by the end of his first term as president the nation would no longer be the world leader in incarceration:

Bernie Sanders

✔ @BernieSanders

I promise at the end of my first term we won't have more people in jail than in any other country.

11:54 AM - 11 Dec 2015

But, as racial-justice activist Deray McKesson
pointed out in response, Sanders' promise raises a serious question: Is that even possible, considering that the vast majority of the nation's inmates are held in state, not federal, prisons?

The Sanders campaign did not respond to multiple requests for an explanation, but the short answer is that the Democratic candidate couldn't realistically fulfill his promise. According to the
Bureau of Justice Statistics, about 2.2 million Americans were locked up as of the end of 2013. Of those, only 215,000 inmates (9.6 percent) were in federal prisons. The rest were in state and local facilities. So even if President Sanders abolished federal prisons altogether, the United States would still have more prisoners than any other country by a pretty large margin. China, which is No. 2 in the world, has 1.7 million prisoners. To edge below China, Sanders would need to cut the national prison population by about 25 percent, with most of that coming from places that are outside federal jurisdiction.

Read more

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2016/01/bernie-sanders-plan-fight-mass-incarceration-doesnt-add-up

chuck

Aug 9, 2003
I have nothing more to add to my recent comments...

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

sekou kasimu wrote on willa's profile.
What exactly is your ideology?!
I'll be honest. I like black culture forums, so I've signed up for this one, BX, and Lipstick Alley. I won't post too often, only on things that I'm really interested in. Nice to meet you. :)
Ms Drea wrote on butterfly#1's profile.
Hi Sister,
Miss you so much I hope all is well with you and yours!!
Love and Blessings!! :heart: :heart:
You can skip rocks across water but if you're not building yourself up rock solid, you'll drown under pressure.
11-5-19✍
Fireman wrote on Queenie's profile.
Hi, Queenie. Love your posts. Even though I don't you, you must be some kind of remarkable and lovely person. Lets keep in touch.