Black People : Is Eminent Domain happening in your hood? White developers, snatching Black homes?

oldiesman

Feb 9, 2006
is eminent domain happening...?

This has gone on currently around Columbia U. under so called states rights, and the stereotype of "ghetto blight"

Has this happened in your local Black urban, suburban or rural community?
i've been saying this for awhile now,in d.c.it used to be[chocolate city]named so for it's mostly black population,but that's changing in a hurry as our people are being pushed out because whites want their city back[eveything was cool til we started to move to the burbs in droves]the good liberals said enough is enough and then the retake began..oh i must be politically correct-REGENIFICATION i think is the term they use oh they started out small the downtown areas got a facelift,but we all know that the whiteman never does a takeover on the small,they even have tours to the ghetto[no joke]i find it very peculiar that shortly after the crack wars of the eighties[at one time d.c.was the murder capital]then they wanted the city back,but this plan was laid out back in 68 while we were burning down the hood the jewish store owners had already sold the land to the government and if you don't believe me go to your library and get a book called[ten blocks from the white house]which tells the true story of the d.c.roits of 68,but we shouldn't be surprised because the native americans were pushed from thier land[and they had the whole country]and we only have afew blocks.

Ankhur

Oct 4, 2009
Brooklyn
Occupation
owner of various real estate concerns
i've been saying this for awhile now,in d.c.it used to be[chocolate city]named so for it's mostly black population,but that's changing in a hurry as our people are being pushed out because whites want their city back[eveything was cool til we started to move to the burbs in droves]the good liberals said enough is enough and then the retake began..oh i must be politically correct-REGENIFICATION i think is the term they use oh they started out small the downtown areas got a facelift,but we all know that the whiteman never does a takeover on the small,they even have tours to the ghetto[no joke]i find it very peculiar that shortly after the crack wars of the eighties[at one time d.c.was the murder capital]then they wanted the city back,but this plan was laid out back in 68 while we were burning down the hood the jewish store owners had already sold the land to the government and if you don't believe me go to your library and get a book called[ten blocks from the white house]which tells the true story of the d.c.roits of 68,but we shouldn't be surprised because the native americans were pushed from thier land[and they had the whole country]and we only have afew blocks.
we shouldn, t be surprised ,

so we should just be complacent, sit around and just let it happen?

cherryblossom

Feb 28, 2009
Unfortunately, "Eminent Domain" in the "Hood" aint nothing new....

Mechanicsville (Atlanta)

Mechanicsville is a neighborhood of Atlanta, Georgia. It sits in the shadow of both downtown Atlanta and Turner Field. The neighborhood is bounded by I-20 on the north, the I-75/I-85 Downtown Connector on the east, and the Southern Railway lines on the south and west.

Mechanicsville is one of the oldest neighborhoods in Atlanta. The neighborhood sprang up in the late 1800s, adjacent to several railroad lines just south of downtown. The name "Mechanicsville" comes from the "mechanics" that worked on the railway lines. It was once a vibrant multiethnic community with working class blacks and middle class whites, and home to several prominent merchant families, including the Rich family, of department store fame.

Its decline was caused by urban renewal, migration to the suburbs, and the construction of Atlanta Fulton County Stadium and the nearby interstate highways. The city of Atlanta has targeted the area for revitalization.

The movie ATL was filmed here. Big Gee of Boyz n da Hood was born and lives there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanicsville_(Atlanta)

..." A number of public redevelopment policies subjected Mechanicsville to harm in the name of redevelopment. In 1964, the Atlanta Fulton County Stadium was built just outside of the neighborhood while highway construction on the north and east furthered destruction to the neighborhood's physical resources.

In 1968, a 1,000 unit public housing complex, the McDaniel Glenn Housing Project, was constructed on the western edge of Mechanicsville to house many of the displaced lower income families in the area.

In 2005 and 2006, the residents of McDaniel Glenn were relocated as a part of a HOPE VI project and, in 2008, Columbia at Mechanicsville was opened to new and returning residents.
:10500:

From 1960 to 2000, Mechanicsville lost two-thirds of its population, dropping from 10,530 in 1960 to 3,358 in 2000.

Those remaining residents have united as a force to stall the neighborhood's decline...." :10500:

http://www.atlantacivicsite.org/Mechanicsville.html

I have a male friend who says he loves baseball, but he vowed never to set foot in that stadium nor what is, today, TURNER FIELD (which partially sits on the OLD stadium), because his grandmother lost her home in Mechanicsville to that stadium.

Ankhur

Oct 4, 2009
Brooklyn
Occupation
owner of various real estate concerns
Unfortunately, "Eminent Domain" in the "Hood" aint nothing new....

I have a male friend who says he loves baseball, but he vowed never to set foot in that stadium nor what is, today, TURNER FIELD (which partially sits on the OLD stadium), because his grandmother lost her home in Mechanicsville to that stadium.
Those remaining residents have united as a force to stall the neighborhood's decline

Hopefully there can be a national network of such activities to give support to each others efforts in this struggle

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Black People : Eminent Departure Black People Open Forum 10
Liberty Black Entertainment : Taye Diggs Joins the Game Show Host Circuit, Which Is Apparently Becoming a Black Man's Domain Black Entertainment 0
Destee Black People : Website / Domain Seized by Federal Government !!! Black People Open Forum 4
Kemetstry Black People : Can Cities Seize Mortgages Under Eminenet Domain? Black People Open Forum 10
K Destee Network : Warning not owning your own domain name can cause problems Destee Network : 2
AACOOLDRE Black Poetry : Whats happening Now ??????????? Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
jamesfrmphilly Black Entertainment : black rhythm happening....... Black Entertainment 0
HODEE Black Poetry : I Don't Know what is happening Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
chuck Black People : What's Happening To D Town Might Happen To Your Town Too! Black People Open Forum 33
RAPTOR Black People : What is Happening at WPFW? The Fight to Save Community Radio Black People Open Forum 1
Chevron Dove Science and Technology : A LUNAR ECLIPSE...Happening... Science and Technology 1
Ankhur Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv: Marvin Gaye, What's Happening Brother Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : Is God Responsible For What Has And Is Happening In Haiti? Chief Elder Osiris 3
HODEE Black People : GET HELP.. KEEP UP with what is happening Black People Open Forum 5
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : THINGS HAPPENING Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
T Black People : What's happening on the Foster Care front Black People Open Forum 2
Jahari Kavi Black People : Why Does It Keep Happening???? Black People Open Forum 35
Metaverse Black Spirituality Religion : SOMETHING IS HAPPENING? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 17
N Kenya : What is happening in Kenya? Kenya 0
A Allergies--This CAN'T be happening! Black Health and Wellness 7
G Black Relationships : What is happening? Need a little advice. Black Relationships 23
S Black People : Can Somebody tell me what's happening ..... Black People Open Forum 5
I Black Poetry : Whats happening? Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
Destee Black Entertainment : Black Raopers Talkin Bout Their Mommas - Is it happening yet? Black Entertainment 29
R Black People : Why Is This Happening In Our Community? Black People Open Forum 5
U Black Events : Anything happening in North Carolina? Black Events 1
L This Can Not be happening! Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 4
A Black Poetry : Brotha It Ain’t Happening Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
S Black Poetry : What's Happening To Poetry? Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 18
Destee What's Happening @ Destee ?!? - 11/18/02 Announcements 0
Destee What's Happening @ Destee ?! Announcements 0
Destee Site News : What's Happening @ Destee ?!? Announcements 2
alyce Quiet Poetry Lounge : mystory ("the happening") Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5