Destee Network : If you had the opportunity to start your own business - would you?

IntuitioninMD

Banned
Nov 5, 2004
If you did have the opportunity to start your own business - would you?

If so, what is holding you back from starting your own business?

What type of business would it be? Why?

What would be your business strategy?

Who would you market your product to and why?

This might be an opportunity for us to share NOTES. :)

HODEE

Alonewolf
Jul 2, 2003
IntuitioninMD said:
If you did have the opportunity to start your own business - would you?

If so, what is holding you back from starting your own business?

What type of business would it be? Why?

What would be your business strategy?

Who would you market your product to and why?

This might be an opportunity for us to share NOTES. :)

Yes, I would open a business. I have always wanted to own a club. Comedy, jazz, or a combination of this. A coffee house would work as well. I just want the people to sit and relax. There is a club here, in Berkeley, everyone sits and watches live bands .. I went there and saw Cameo. You have dinette sitting and club dining and seats. Just enough room for waiters to move thru and serve as you watch the show. I would want local singers as well to come and perform. Mariah Carry performed in clubs in San Francisco before she got started. Confunction started local, so the bay area is full of good talent and bands.

At this time operating cost. Is my only factor. Commercial property isn't expensive right now, but the rent modifications, equipment, tables, liquor, liquor licence, employee salary, and rent per month all are concerns.

I am a merchant. I have all the tools and I am on the edge of opening my first store front. I really want a lounge, I want a place with a throw back atmosphere, where everyone sit down and listen to live jazz, it would have a small dance floor.

What is holding me back. Me!
I have to be able to pay back on my loan. So I won't do it if it isn't feasible.

I'm not working at this time, and If I was I would have been writing a different letter. I would be telling you all about my club.

A great opportunity came up a few months ago, liquior licence and all for $150,000.00

My wife said go for it. The rent was $2300.00 a month. I would have to buy stock of alcohol, and hire workers, bouncers and stuff.. all I could borrow would be about $150,000 right now without working. So it was just within reach.

I would have to make it the first month, and that isn't good business sense or practice. To not have savings to fall back on. I should have at least 6 months of cushion after accounting for paying for everything else. Stuff happens and you have to be prepared.

My business strategy was straight forward, start with current clientele, this bar has been there for over twenty years. I have visited once or twice for happy hour years ago. It has a kitchen, so I woud also have to hire a cook. I would pay my bartender starting at $15 to $18 an hour, and my security $15 at least to start.

That is at least $1200.00 a week in salarys. Now I need a cook and someone to serve, I would call up some friends I know who have done this and have good customer skills in serving and cooking. They would be paid at least $15 an hour too. So my salary is at $9600.00 a month along with my rent of $2300.00 so I would need to account for a total of at least $11,900.00 a month and I havent sold a drink.

That times six months cushion is $71,000.00 extra in the bank. If I had a little less I would still take the leap. My numbers tell me I would have about $50,000 extra, not $71,000.00 so I would have four months cushion.

Not a real problem if I was working. I would borrow all I need from connected friends at low interest rates. So my friend would front me at least two hundred thousand easy out of pocket. Oh yea..I would have my loan cost, I would finance with him for two years, so interest only on two hundred thousand at arm twisting rates would be about $2,000 a month. Interest only.

Don't ask me :zipit: :gossip: if he is in the mafia, :bazooka: I never ask, and do not want cement shoes. :injured: :wchair:

This deal we did before, so I know it works for him, besides its out of pocket, he has to make some money, :thinking: and I do get all the write offs. :terrific:

:dance3: :dance3: Party.. :party: :party: Party.. :party: you all are invited to my grand opening... :drums: :drums:

The dream is still alive in my :hearts2: heart.

IntuitioninMD

Banned
Nov 5, 2004
HODEE said:
Yes, I would open a business. I have always wanted to own a club. Comedy, jazz, or a combination of this. A coffee house would work as well. I just want the people to sit and relax. There is a club here, in Berkeley, everyone sits and watches live bands .. I went there and saw Cameo. You have dinette sitting and club dining and seats. Just enough room for waiters to move thru and serve as you watch the show. I would want local singers as well to come and perform. Mariah Carry performed in clubs in San Francisco before she got started. Confunction started local, so the bay area is full of good talent and bands.

At this time operating cost. Is my only factor. Commercial property isn't expensive right now, but the rent modifications, equipment, tables, liquor, liquor licence, employee salary, and rent per month all are concerns.

I am a merchant. I have all the tools and I am on the edge of opening my first store front. I really want a lounge, I want a place with a throw back atmosphere, where everyone sit down and listen to live jazz, it would have a small dance floor.

What is holding me back. Me!
I have to be able to pay back on my loan. So I won't do it if it isn't feasible.

I'm not working at this time, and If I was I would have been writing a different letter. I would be telling you all about my club.

A great opportunity came up a few months ago, liquior licence and all for $150,000.00

My wife said go for it. The rent was $2300.00 a month. I would have to buy stock of alcohol, and hire workers, bouncers and stuff.. all I could borrow would be about $150,000 right now without working. So it was just within reach.

I would have to make it the first month, and that isn't good business sense or practice. To not have savings to fall back on. I should have at least 6 months of cushion after accounting for paying for everything else. Stuff happens and you have to be prepared.

My business strategy was straight forward, start with current clientele, this bar has been there for over twenty years. I have visited once or twice for happy hour years ago. It has a kitchen, so I woud also have to hire a cook. I would pay my bartender starting at $15 to $18 an hour, and my security $15 at least to start.

That is at least $1200.00 a month in salarys. Now I need a cook and someone to serve, I would call up some friends I know who have done this and have good customer skills in serving and cooking. They would be paid at least $15 an hour too. So my salary is at $9600.00 a month along with my rent of $2300.00 so I would need to account for a total of at least $11,900.00 a month and I havent sold a drink.

That times six months cushion is $71,000.00 extra in the bank. If I had a little less I would still take the leap. My numbers tell me I would have about $50,000 extra, not $71,000.00 so I would have four months cushion.

Not a real problem if I was working. I would borrow all I need from connected friends at low interest rates. So my friend would front me at least two hundred thousand easy out of pocket. Oh yea..I would have my loan cost, I would finance with him for two years, so interest only on two hundred thousand at arm twisting rates would be about $2,000 a month. Interest only.

Don't ask me :zipit: :gossip: if he is in the mafia, :bazooka: I never ask, and do not want cement shoes. :injured: :wchair:

This deal we did before, so I know it works for him, besides its out of pocket, he has to make some money, :thinking: and I do get all the write offs. :terrific:

:dance3: :dance3: Party.. :party: :party: Party.. :party: you all are invited to my grand opening... :drums: :drums:

The dream is still alive in my :hearts2: heart.

wow Hodee. I want to own a club/lounge too. WHo knows - one day we might be partners? You have given this much thought! Good luck. :dance:

$$RICH$$

Lyon King Admin.
Mar 21, 2001
Da~WINDY*CITY //CHICAGO
Occupation
BUSINESS owner
Business .........going in can be very hard and costly , when i started mines i had a hard
time even though i made it pass the storm it's still hard out in the business world as a
black owner .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T African American History Culture : Black Power, White Privilege : The Anomie of Authority & Opportunity African American History Culture 6
HODEE Black People : Homeownership Opportunity Program (SHOP) Black People Open Forum 1
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : radio show opportunity... Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Education / Schools : We Must Light a Path to Hope, Opportunity for Young, Black Men Black Education / Schools 4
HODEE Black Money Business Jobs : INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR OPPORTUNITY Black Money Business Jobs 0
HODEE Black People : “ Can we re-frame disruption as an opportunity in a rapidly changing world? “ Black People Open Forum 0
Liberty Black Positive People : Investment corporation building opportunity one business at a time Black People Doing Positive Things 0
OldSoul OldSoul : The Unequal Opportunity Race OldSoul 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Meet the 29-year-old YouTuber who turned her natural hair into a massive career opportunity Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Kadijah Black Money Business Jobs : Employment opportunity - Feds seeks someone to grow 12 acres of pot Black Money Business Jobs 1
candeesweet Quiet Poetry Lounge : That Chance or Opportunity Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
blazejay Black Money Business Jobs : Network Opportunity Black Money Business Jobs 0
Mad Skillz Black People : Unequal Opportunity Race Black People Open Forum 0
jamesfrmphilly Black Education / Schools : NYC art intern opportunity Black Education / Schools 2
jamesfrmphilly Black People : the devil is equal opportunity……. Black People Open Forum 0
Each1teach1 Black Money Business Jobs : Business Opportunity Black Money Business Jobs 0
Writeous1 Black People Politics : Michelle Obama Was Shopping At Target: Proof It Was A Staged Photo Opportunity Black People Politics 21
MsInterpret Quiet Poetry Lounge : Opportunity Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
P Black Positive People : Opportunity to Serve Part 1 & 2 Black People Doing Positive Things 1
T Black Money Business Jobs : FAA Employment Opportunity Black Money Business Jobs 1
KWABENA Black Money Business Jobs : SOVEREIGNITY, INC. - NETWORKING OPPORTUNITY Black Money Business Jobs 0
J Black Money Business Jobs : Investment opportunity Black Money Business Jobs 12
M Black Money Business Jobs : Part-time Work from Home Opportunity Black Money Business Jobs 0
M Black Money Business Jobs : Finacial opportunity Black Money Business Jobs 1
S Black Poetry : THE OPPORTUNITY OF YOU Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 13
S Black Money Business Jobs : BUY SILVER --Huge Investment Opportunity Black Money Business Jobs 15
P Black Money Business Jobs : Job Opportunity in NYC 12/19/05 Black Money Business Jobs 0
P Black Money Business Jobs : Job Opportunity in NYC 12/4/05 Black Money Business Jobs 0
P Black Money Business Jobs : Job Opportunity in Conneticut 12/4/05 Black Money Business Jobs 0
P Black People : Is the Bush Administration using the passing of Rosa Parks as a policial opportunity? Black People Open Forum 9
P Black Money Business Jobs : Fantastic Investment Opportunity: BankBlackwell extends initial public offering! Black Money Business Jobs 11
T Destee Network : Blackwealth.ws - LEGITIMATE Homebased Opportunity Destee Network : 0
C Quiet Poetry Lounge : Opportunity Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
Queenie Black People : Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender: Demand for Civil Rights & Equal Opportunity Black People Open Forum 31
B Black Poetry : Opportunity Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
blakverb Destee Network : BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY!!! Check out my site!!! Destee Network : 2
K Black Entertainment : Show Biz INVESTMENT Opportunity Black Entertainment 0
K Black People : Show Biz INVESTMENT Opportunity Black People Open Forum 0
K Black People : A Great Opportunity For ALL! Black People Open Forum 0
K Destee Network : A Great Opportunity For ALL! Destee Network : 1
V Destee Network : Opportunity Knocks Destee Network : 0
Kemetstry Black People Politics : ELEPHANT PEOPLE START MOVEMENT TO STOP STACEY ABRAMS Black People Politics 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Liberia : Liberia coronavirus lockdown off to chaotic start Liberia 1
R Black Poetry : Its a dumb start but it from the heart and bona fide now I'm gonna ride home with this boy a kiss he can enjoy so lets get under way gonna be wet thun Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
R Black Poetry : many times a plenty rhmesdon't hit the mark and onlinehe git to start over, go to schoolsit on a low stool at the bar coolorder a small meal and i Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Feds: White supremacists hoped rally would start civil war Black People Politics 2
Al D Black People : Sierra Leone youth becomes inspired to start a business from tragedy and hard times Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Britain still fails to acknowledge its legacy of slavery—memorializing its victims would be a start African American History Culture 0
R Black Poetry : Have a house in the city to some it arouse pity a Mickey Mouse is witty and wanna start trouble he flow hard and mow the yard see a girl now he be hoo Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
R Black Poetry : a kiss can spin a brisk wind she walk in the park and talk in the dark boys stalk and start a phat conversation that lead to domination a female child Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1