Black Poetry : I Thank God (Maybe, not often Enough)

baller

Jan 28, 2001
the near north
I Thank God
(Maybe not often Enough).

As I drive to work
Or walk the dog
I think of “you and I”
And wonder at it all
…the life we’re building
From jagged paths and twisted turns
Through the “everyday survival” of our daily concerns

I think about a past life
Where I would often yearn
For something more…a life I felt I’d earned
Something WHOLE
…Filled with fantasies, and smiles

Not just once in a while.

I thank God
Though, not often enough
For showing me I’m worthy
…of your love and trust
Even when circumstances are rigid
…and rough

You see me through them.

I thank God
Maybe, not often enough
For tapping me in midnight’s sleep
Strengthening…and encouraging me to weep
To email a friend
Take us back to where true love began

When things were simple, and love was true
And my heart would jostle with thoughts of you

Have I told you that you saved me?
From my fears of loneliness
Past years of aloneness, I guess
…Molded and conditioned
By past fears of
Inadequacies
…and incompleteness
Questioning what I have to give
While giving all of me
‘til unqualified success
And unrestrained love
Assaulted me

Now…I’m blessed

Even through winter’s gray
You held life’s miseries at bay
And I just want to say

I thank God for you
(Though, not often enough)

cocobutterskyn

May 25, 2001
Sixburgh, Pa.
Occupation
Spreading Joy.... need some?
Hi Baller, I believe you're not the only one. Many thank God, but maybe not often enough for all the blessings in their lives. Beautiful piece! I thank God for your gifted pen! :)

Feelin'souldeep
Coco :dance:

chuck

Aug 9, 2003
I Thank God
(Maybe not often Enough).

As I drive to work
Or walk the dog
I think of “you and I”
And wonder at it all
…the life we’re building
From jagged paths and twisted turns
Through the “everyday survival” of our daily concerns

I think about a past life
Where I would often yearn
For something more…a life I felt I’d earned
Something WHOLE
…Filled with fantasies, and smiles

Not just once in a while.

I thank God
Though, not often enough
For showing me I’m worthy
…of your love and trust
Even when circumstances are rigid
…and rough

You see me through them.

I thank God
Maybe, not often enough
For tapping me in midnight’s sleep
Strengthening…and encouraging me to weep
To email a friend
Take us back to where true love began

When things were simple, and love was true
And my heart would jostle with thoughts of you

Have I told you that you saved me?
From my fears of loneliness
Past years of aloneness, I guess
…Molded and conditioned
By past fears of
Inadequacies
…and incompleteness
Questioning what I have to give
While giving all of me
‘til unqualified success
And unrestrained love
Assaulted me

Now…I’m blessed

Even through winter’s gray
You held life’s miseries at bay
And I just want to say

I thank God for you
(Though, not often enough)
Thanks for this reminder who we should truly give our props to in 2017!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Orisons Black People : Thank God our Women are on the case/sorting things out! Black People Open Forum 2
Kadijah Black Spirituality Religion : Westboro church (thank god for dead soldiers) plans to picket Maya Angelou's funeral Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 24
tyab14 Black Jokes Humor : Thank God For Slavery? Black Jokes Humor 4
asimplepoet Black Poetry : Thank God for the message in midst of my mess Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
$ Black Poetry : thank god Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
MANASIAC Black People : I thank God I am no longer in the Marines Black People Open Forum 7
T Black Poetry : Thank God Its Friday (T.G.I.F.) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
river Black People : Thank God and Greyhound I'm Gone Black People Open Forum 20
M Black Poetry : I Thank God Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
Akilah Black Spirituality Religion : Thank God .... Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 8
B Black Poetry : I Thank God He Sent You To Me Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
P Black Poetry : Thank You God! Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
J Support : Thank you for including ma Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 0
N The Front Porch : Peace unto all ,Thank you Destee The Front Porch 2
candeesweet Black Poetry : Thank You Michelle... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Chevron Dove Chevron Dove : REST IN POWER... Thank you Jay Z & Beyonce Chevron Dove 0
O Support : Thank-you & a couple of questions Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 2
Mister Aten The Front Porch : Thank you for the invite! The Front Porch 0
Jae The Front Porch : Thank you! The Front Porch 2
ElenaG The Front Porch : Thank you very much The Front Porch 2
Greatest I am Black Spirituality Religion : I thank all the imaginary gods for Jihadists. Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 18
A Support : Thank you! Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 5
Aluku Black People Politics : Lying White Liberals(5) - Thank You Note Black People Politics 8
anAfrican Black Women : Rock On, myQueen! Thank You, Beverly Bond! Black Women 1
Fine1952 Black People : ***Thank You, Baby*** Black People Open Forum 0
Khasm13 King Floyd - You've Been Good To Me, Thank You Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
WhatNeedsToBeDone Black People : Is it against SOME immigrants culture to say PLEASE or THANK YOU? Black People Open Forum 14
Khasm13 Busta Rhymes - Thank You Ft. Q Tip Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
cherryblossom Audio Video Web Conferencing : Donny Hathaway - Thank You Master (For My Soul) Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
CosmicMessenger Audio Video Web Conferencing : Sly & Family Stone - Thank You For Talking To Me Africa Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MS234 Violaters / Violations : Thank you Destee Violators and Violations (Possible Ones) 20
S Audio Video Web Conferencing : Thank You Lord - Rachelle Ferrell Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : HOME (thank u Destee) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
T The Front Porch : Thank You From Tabella The Front Porch 2
Mercyless1803 The Front Porch : Thank you The Front Porch 7
L The Front Porch : Hello and Thank you from the host of OPEN MIND, OPEN MIC in Brooklyn The Front Porch 2
Destee Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Thank you - Ashanti Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
hartwell Black People : Toyota to Black car buyers: No Thank You Black People Open Forum 10
Knowledge Seed Black People : A Thank You to Black People From All Other Americans Black People Open Forum 2
A Black Spirituality Religion : I Thank Jesus For Everything Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
A Black Spirituality Religion : No Excuse Not To Thank Jesus Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 145
Destee Black People : Thank You Family for Interacting So Respectfully Black People Open Forum 6
cherryblossom Site News : Thank You! Announcements 1
Destee Violaters / Violations : THANK YOU - To All Those Who Have NEVER Violated Our Policies Violators and Violations (Possible Ones) 1
Chevron Dove Black Christians : OH THANK HEAVEN for 711~MOORS in Europe Christian Study Group 3
Destee Black People : Our Voice Video Chat Is Working Again - Thank You Brother Monetary! Black People Open Forum 4
$$RICH$$ Ghana : Thank You sister Ghana's Empress African American History Culture 4
M African American History Culture : Should I thank the Slave Masters for Kidnapping Me? African American History Culture 1
E Unable to thank posts, reply to visitor messages? Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 2
S Malicious use of the THANK YOU feature. Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 33