Black Parenting : I don't want my kids to believe in Father Christmas

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
The truth is it is a seasonal celebration of LIFE that was around long before St Nick or Jesus! Zep Tepi, when the light first emerged from the primordial abyss, was now, during the time of Saturn, thus the red. It is a time to share success, repent for failures, show love and venerate your ancestors. The pine tree represents everlasting life and each light represents an ankhstar (ancestor) and they get sustenance from the offerings left out for them in veneration on this day of new life, the gifts remind us that we are all kings. The only real thing we know about December 25 is that it ends the winter sols test (solstice) and pass or not the sun starts moving again after a 3 day rest....everyday we will gain a minute of light, worth celebrating indeed! Unfortunately the commercialization and purposeful deception tied to the season is distracting from the truth, but not a reason to deny a child the joy of the truth and in the process build a tradition that gives life to your ancestors. " He whose name is spoken lives!"

"Don't avoid what you don't understand...make it make sense!"

Well said Lrae, well put indeed, and Welcome to Destee.com, or is it Welcome back?:)

Peace In,

Liberty

Banned
Aug 28, 2015
The truth is it is a seasonal celebration of LIFE that was around long before St Nick or Jesus! Zep Tepi, when the light first emerged from the primordial abyss, was now, during the time of Saturn, thus the red. It is a time to share success, repent for failures, show love and venerate your ancestors. The pine tree represents everlasting life and each light represents an ankhstar (ancestor) and they get sustenance from the offerings left out for them in veneration on this day of new life, the gifts remind us that we are all kings. The only real thing we know about December 25 is that it ends the winter sols test (solstice) and pass or not the sun starts moving again after a 3 day rest....everyday we will gain a minute of light, worth celebrating indeed! Unfortunately the commercialization and purposeful deception tied to the season is distracting from the truth, but not a reason to deny a child the joy of the truth and in the process build a tradition that gives life to your ancestors. " He whose name is spoken lives!"

Ok, that's an Ancient Egyptian Celebration. Cool.

My family has been celebrating Christmas Eve, Christmas, and an adjusted Kwanzaa every year. I enjoy the Kwanzaa the most. We always have a lot of fun. We have never done it for seven days like you are supposed to. My Aunt has done an excellent job at providing all the props and directing the celebration for us every year.

IFE

Jan 20, 2015

Please share where you found this information.

I've never understood the need to have a large decorated tree in my home, or Christmas light decorations outside. Especially since using those lights increases utility bills. Everything about Christmas is expensive and commercially driven.

I appreciate a celebration of LIFE, which in my family is BIRTHDAYS!! Everybody gets a party and gifts celebrating the month and day they were birth into this world.

I would never critize another's celebration of Christmas, I just can't, for so many personal and cultural reasons.

I can appreciate the money put aside for gifts. The gifts for my husband and Myself are usually something needed or wanted for the home. I love giving gifts to family and friends. Always practical.

I enjoyed reading your post. He whose name is spoken lives everyday.

Lrae

Dec 25, 2015
Indiana, USA
www.facebook.com
Please share where you found this information.
The celebration of the solstice ( sun stands still) aka yule is universal. Five thousand years ago , ancient Egyptians celebrated the rebirth of the sun Horus, at this time of year. They set the length of the festival at 12 days, to reflect the 12 divisions in their sun calendar. They decorated with greenery, meditated and feasted! The 12 Days of Christmas ...Ra Un Nefer Amen, best selling international author on Ancient Egyptian Spirituality speaks on this subject eloquently.

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
The celebration of the solstice ( sun stands still) aka yule is universal. Five thousand years ago , ancient Egyptians celebrated the rebirth of the sun Horus, at this time of year. They set the length of the festival at 12 days, to reflect the 12 divisions in their sun calendar. They decorated with greenery, meditated and feasted! The 12 Days of Christmas ...Ra Un Nefer Amen, best selling international author on Ancient Egyptian Spirituality speaks on this subject eloquently.
Thanks for sharing. I did a little research of the solstice. Think I'll stick with what I know. I really hate seeing a Christmas trees in someone's house. I just want to ask them...Why, why why.
I doubt many are aware of the celebration of the solstice.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to learn something I had not considered.
That's always nice. The gift of learning. That's why I give books to the youth in my family on this holiday and throughout the year.

kidkhuti33

Jan 10, 2016

OK. I have never, and will never, encourage my children to believe in Father Christmas. That might sound niggardly – even heretical – but, to me, the whole phenomenon seems bizarre. I cannot understand why people try to make their children believe what is not true, in an effort to create a synthetic innocence and wonder. Parents go to great lengths to peddle this lie, from dressing up in a Father Christmas costume late at night to interpreting meteorological phenomena as evidence of Santa's journey to Britain. People encourage their kids to leave a glass of mulled wine and a mince pie out for Saint Nick, and a carrot for his reindeer. Then, before going to bed, they drink half the mulled wine and take a bite out of the mince pie and the carrot. This is normal?

Read more

I was born and raised in a no nonsense family and we didnt celebrate christmas, easter, valentines day, no religious or federal holidays bwcause it has nothing to do with y family and our beliefs.
My mother did explain to us that in America people lie and they love to believe thier own lies to perpetuate the society that was built and yes I was taught that its best to not be a part to foolishness, yes society is foolish mainly because society doesnt take responsibility but always glory.
My mother took up shopping for the whole week following christmas to show us its no point in purchasing during "holidays season" but afterwards when all the material itens at its true value, 90% off, lol.

I have a family and we spent the last 3 years christmas free, my partner was raised without holidays and our parental units have opposite beliefs.

Its great to raise children wirhout nonsense because it leaves room for the truth.

My childhood was as real as it got, my mom didnt close the bathroom door, nothing was off the table, never sugar coated anything. My mom went to prison when I was 14 and I knew it because it was the truth.

Southsideirish- i have met many young people who are suffering existentialism crisis simply because they stepped out into the world to find out what thier parents taught them are lies and they are seriously under prepared to be in the REAL WORLD not the fantasy you raised them in.

Liberty

Banned
Aug 28, 2015
I was born and raised in a no nonsense family and we didnt celebrate christmas, easter, valentines day, no religious or federal holidays bwcause it has nothing to do with y family and our beliefs.
My mother did explain to us that in America people lie and they love to believe thier own lies to perpetuate the society that was built and yes I was taught that its best to not be a part to foolishness, yes society is foolish mainly because society doesnt take responsibility but always glory.
My mother took up shopping for the whole week following christmas to show us its no point in purchasing during "holidays season" but afterwards when all the material itens at its true value, 90% off, lol.

I have a family and we spent the last 3 years christmas free, my partner was raised without holidays and our parental units have opposite beliefs.

Its great to raise children wirhout nonsense because it leaves room for the truth.

My childhood was as real as it got, my mom didnt close the bathroom door, nothing was off the table, never sugar coated anything. My mom went to prison when I was 14 and I knew it because it was the truth.

Southsideirish- i have met many young people who are suffering existentialism crisis simply because they stepped out into the world to find out what thier parents taught them are lies and they are seriously under prepared to be in the REAL WORLD not the fantasy you raised them in.
When we were very young an older cousin told us there the whole Santa story was a lie. My Mom was furious. I don't remember ever believing in flying reindeer, Santa and his work shop or any of that. We did celebrate the holiday, but we knew it wasn't real, and we weren't to tell the other children. I also remember my Mom going to great lengths to find a AA Santa for us to take pictures with.

kidkhuti33

Jan 10, 2016
When we were very young an older cousin told us there the whole Santa story was a lie. My Mom was furious. I don't remember ever believing in flying reindeer, Santa and his work shop or any of that. We did celebrate the holiday, but we knew it wasn't real, and we weren't to tell the other children. I also remember my Mom going to great lengths to find a AA Santa for us to take pictures with.
Wow I could only imagine because to me christmas = television it just always seemed over the top, i know adults who get mad when it doesnt snow in the D on December 25th

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

Clarity to pursue my mission in 2020
Destee wrote on Omowale Jabali's profile.
Hi Brother O! YAAAAAY! Good to see you! Hoping all is well with you and yours! Happy New Year! :heart:
Destee wrote on King Tubbs's profile.
Hi Brother - so good to see you in the house again! Hoping all is well with you and yours! Happy New Year Beloved! :heart:
Destee wrote on Ms Drea's profile.
Sister ... what did you decide? How will we be moving forward? I've been working, I am excited. I Love You! Happy New Year Beloved! :heart:
One-Hundredd wrote on Destee's profile.
Hope you having a happy holidayz